Site Design ALT 2 - "how close is 'close'"

Site Grading & Site Design Vignettes and Multiple Choice

Site Design ALT 2 - "how close is 'close'"

Postby changes627 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:04 am

Hi all!

Site Design Alt 2 - any comments and critiques are welcome!

also I JUST noticed... BOTH my walkways violates the 5' Bldg setback rule!!... don't make my mistake, bad changes627...

(For those who aren't familiar with this vignette alternative but are familiar with the NCARB program, the program is very similar to the NCARB practice problem just with different names and different shaped buildings -- "drop off" = "service drive" / "Day Care Center= OT" / "School" = "restaurant")

few questions:

1) the program states "Locate School close to Day Care" -- how close is considered close?
2) Is this Drop Off acceptable?
3) PLAZA SHADING?!?!... do I plant trees on the plaza?!
4) GENERAL DRAWING QUESTION: Is it okay to have the Walkways overlap the PP and do they have to touch the buildings?... I don't want it to accidentally not touch the PP and have it not be a "continuous" walkway or accidentally touch the building and then violate the rule of "no overlaps"... obviously just BE CAREFUL when drawing is the BEST rule of thumb... but just when it comes down to the wire, zooming in and out to make sure things align perfectly can be nerve-racking! (this might be something that we would never really know the answer of unless you are the ncarb grading machine, hah)

thank you all for you time!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
changes627

Re: Site Design ALT 2 - "how close is 'close'"

Postby changes627 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:07 pm

Hi Forum people!

but just wondering if anyone has any critiques about this vignette!! ... mostly just the question of "how close is close"!?

thank you!!
testing in a few days!!
ah!!
changes627

Postby fare75 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:41 am

changes627 wrote:Hi Forum people!

but just wondering if anyone has any critiques about this vignette!! ... mostly just the question of "how close is close"!?

thank you!!
testing in a few days!!
ah!!

In NCARB 3.1 SD program, there is "A close to B". In 4.0 program which is very similar to 3.1, distances are clearly defined.
I guess we will no longer see "close to" in the program? :roll:
(didn't take SPD before...need to check with other candidates...)
fare75

Postby changes627 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:35 am

fare75 wrote:
changes627 wrote:Hi Forum people!

thank you!!
testing in a few days!!
ah!!

In NCARB 3.1 SD program, there is "A close to B". In 4.0 program which is very similar to 3.1, distances are clearly defined.
I guess we will no longer see "close to" in the program? :roll:
(didn't take SPD before...need to check with other candidates...)

Thanks Fare, For the response!!
changes627

Return to SPD - SITE PLANNING & DESIGN