Just took SPD - made a major mistake

Site Grading & Site Design Vignettes and Multiple Choice

Just took SPD - made a major mistake

Postby gehry101 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:12 pm

Just ranting because I'm totally pissed...
I thought I could share my major mistake so no one else does the same.
Everything was too easy on the site design vignette, something had to be wrong; and it was; my buildings were too close.
So I moved them to opposites sides of the site then universal parking was off, tried to move drives and parking - disaster and times up!! oh no!!!!!

The Moral of the Story if you have a few minutes left its probably better to take the hit for the one mistake as opposed to ruining what I thought was a good vignette.

I'm so upset with myself; I think I need a drink.
gehry101

Re: Just took SPD - made a major mistake

Postby Review1 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:30 am

Thanks for sharing. I did the exact same thing with the PPP exam, in the final minutes I tried to adjust my radius which I thought was wrong and it ended up being a domino effect so within minutes of the test ending I had nodes scrambled all over the page when the time was up. All this to realize after the test my radius was correct. I learned from my mistake and on my second PPP test I passed. Thanks for bringing this to my attention for the site vignette. Will be taking this exam in April.
Review1

Postby Rico » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:23 am

Did you pass?
Rico

Postby cma52572 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:50 pm

So TRUE!!! I experienced something similar on PPP. Although the software was being glitchy the entire time but more so towards the end. and I started trying to perfect the building profile and the there was suddenly no syncing between the mouse and the screen. and my attempt to move a flat line 1 foot resulted in it moving diagonally like 10 feet.

I think theres a 50% chance I could have passed w/o that decision, but only a 50%.

My big lesson was if the software is being glitchy don't sit there and try and work around it. Call in the proctor asap and get a report number or NCARB wont care when you report it to them. I was torn because I knew if I stopped the test for any reason Id have to wait another 60 days to retake.

But it sucks when you walk out knowing something dumb like that caused you to fail the whole thing.
cma52572

Postby raustin1011 » Tue May 01, 2018 8:03 am

Took the test yesterday, and cannot wait 10 days...

Everything went great, then realized at the last minute that I missed a single adjacency (building needing to be close to a landmark), and had no way to fix it. Without getting into specifics, i was out of range by about 8%. Does this seem like a critical mistake? Its not like a setback or road not connecting or accessibility thing, just a landmark adjacency. Anyone else pass with a similar error? Can you make ANY mistakes and still pass?
raustin1011

Return to SPD - SITE PLANNING & DESIGN