Multiple Choice Questions & Site design - Input & Feedback

Site Grading & Site Design Vignettes and Multiple Choice

Multiple Choice Questions & Site design - Input & Feedback

Postby aree2015 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:31 pm

All,

I had taken SPD 3 years ago and had failed the multiple choice in Materials & Technology and Environmental section. Please let me know what can I study extra, other than Ballast, Kaplan and AEP for the multiple choice for all topics of SPD since it has been a while since I gave the test last time. I had passed both the vignettes. Also, I have passed PPP and CDS on 1st attempt.

Attached is my 1st attempt at the site grading vignette. Please give me more input on receiving noon day sun, or blocking sun and blocking winter winds. When do we use deciduous trees in the vignette?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
aree2015

Re: Multiple Choice Questions & Site design - Input & Feedba

Postby applesandbananas » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:11 pm

Most of the problems state that the noon day sun comes from the south at 45 degrees, therefore the shadows will be the same distance straight north as the height of the building (ie. the building is 20' tall the shadow will extend 20' horizontal.

The deciduous trees block sun in the summer since they have broad, leafy canopies but they do not block winter wind as they have no leaves in the winter. Coniferous trees block winter wind.

On your attached vingnette extend a walkway across the driveway from the restaurant. Walkways are not allowed to cross driveways. Your solution will need to locate the restaurant on the same side of the driveway as the other building.

good luck
applesandbananas

Re: Multiple Choice Questions & Site design - Input & Feedba

Postby Sparky83 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:20 pm

Too much of the PP is shaded by the TO.
New coniferous trees partially block the view of the pond from the restaurant.
A walk crossing a drive is not continuous as required.
More new trees used than are needed.
Sparky83

Return to SPD - SITE PLANNING & DESIGN