Site Design Vignette review please!

Site Grading & Site Design Vignettes and Multiple Choice

Site Design Vignette review please!

Postby rchun » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:48 pm

Did not pass SPD my first time, I underestimated the site design vignette. This time I'd like to be sure I have it down. Please review.

Big thank you Coach and others for your help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rchun

Re: Site Design Vignette review please!

Postby Sparky83 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:43 am

Inadequate building separation. The 210' circle will not fit between them.
The east/west walk near the HCP parking spaces is redundant.
Walk appears to fail to connect to the HCP parking spaces, and the PP appears to fail to connect to the OT entry.
Sparky83

Postby Billygoatte02 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:30 pm

When you set up the parking lots, think about how many rows the total number of standard spaces is divisible by. 30 Spaces = 1x30, 2x15, 3x10, etc. Then just draw them out on the plan. I was able to solve this practice problem with 2 rows of 15 spaces, and 3 rows of 10 spaces. Providing the 3 accessible spaces is fairly easy, so just simply work out the standard spaces first, then apply the 3 accessible spaces. Additionally, I've found it extremely useful to simply draw the driveways out in straight shots rather than working with sketch rectangles. As long as you don't connect the ends, the drives will not connect. You can move them by clicking at the edge; clicking at the middle adds a control point, avoid this. Your accessible parking spaces are a bit too far from the office entry.

I'm assuming you did this quickly to get repetitions of practice in, but part of that practice needs to be clean and organized. The walkway doesn't connect properly at the sidewalk or at the restaurant. Be sure to turn on ortho and the cross-hairs so you can keep everything as straight as possible. Avoid making the plaza/terrace areas complex; work in rectangles so any adjustments needed only require a couple point moves. keep it up!
Billygoatte02

Postby rchun » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:16 pm

Sparky83 wrote:Inadequate building separation. The 210' circle will not fit between them.
The east/west walk near the HCP parking spaces is redundant..

Thank you! I see now what you mean with the inadequate building separation. I will be more careful on that next time.

Billygoatte02 wrote:When you set up the parking lots, think about how many rows the total number of standard spaces is divisible by. 30 Spaces = 1x30, 2x15, 3x10, etc. Then just draw them out on the plan. I was able to solve this practice problem with 2 rows of 15 spaces, and 3 rows of 10 spaces. Providing the 3 accessible spaces is fairly easy, so just simply work out the standard spaces first, then apply the 3 accessible spaces. Additionally, I've found it extremely useful to simply draw the driveways out in straight shots rather than working with sketch rectangles. As long as you don't connect the ends, the drives will not connect. You can move them by clicking at the edge; clicking at the middle adds a control point, avoid this. Your accessible parking spaces are a bit too far from the office entry.

Thank you! This is extremely helpful. Most of the SPD Vignette review books I've seen have this standard 4 row parking arrangement. Is it okay to get creative with the parking or is it recommended to stay in this 4 row design? A couple questions:

1. is it acceptable for the HCP to be off to the side as in this example?
Screen Shot 2017-12-10 at 3.09.38 PM.png

2. Can the driveway intersect the parking driveway somewhere in the middle as in this example?

Screen Shot 2017-12-10 at 3.10.26 PM.png

Thank you! Wish I had used this resource more earlier.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rchun

Postby Sparky83 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:11 am

rchun wrote:
Sparky83 wrote:Inadequate building separation. The 210' circle will not fit between them.
The east/west walk near the HCP parking spaces is redundant..

Thank you! I see now what you mean with the inadequate building separation. I will be more careful on that next time.

Billygoatte02 wrote:When you set up the parking lots, think about how many rows the total number of standard spaces is divisible by. 30 Spaces = 1x30, 2x15, 3x10, etc. Then just draw them out on the plan. I was able to solve this practice problem with 2 rows of 15 spaces, and 3 rows of 10 spaces. Providing the 3 accessible spaces is fairly easy, so just simply work out the standard spaces first, then apply the 3 accessible spaces. Additionally, I've found it extremely useful to simply draw the driveways out in straight shots rather than working with sketch rectangles. As long as you don't connect the ends, the drives will not connect. You can move them by clicking at the edge; clicking at the middle adds a control point, avoid this. Your accessible parking spaces are a bit too far from the office entry.

Thank you! This is extremely helpful. Most of the SPD Vignette review books I've seen have this standard 4 row parking arrangement. Is it okay to get creative with the parking or is it recommended to stay in this 4 row design? A couple questions:

1. is it acceptable for the HCP to be off to the side as in this example? Yes, but they are the wrong size. Also do not draw walks for parking lot "islands".
Screen Shot 2017-12-10 at 3.09.38 PM.png

2. Can the driveway intersect the parking driveway somewhere in the middle as in this example? Yes.

Screen Shot 2017-12-10 at 3.10.26 PM.png

Thank you! Wish I had used this resource more earlier.
Sparky83

Return to SPD - SITE PLANNING & DESIGN