PLEASE REVIEW - Site Design Vignette Review

Site Grading & Site Design Vignettes and Multiple Choice

PLEASE REVIEW - Site Design Vignette Review

Postby BrendanLead » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:44 pm

Hi all. I am taking my SPD exam on Saturday and would like some feedback/suggestions on my first attempt.

Areas of Concern
1. The relationship between the Plaza and the Office Tower Entrance. Does this need to overlap in anyway?
2. The relationship between the Plaza and the Handicap Parking. Is a walkway needed to connect to the HC or can the Plaza interact with those spaces instead?
3. The Conifer Tree I placed near the pond obstructs the Restaurant's view to the pond, but would it be enough to mark against?
4. The walkway can access the sidewalk on either street? It doesn't matter whether its Academy /Bentley?

Thanks in advance for your help! This is such an amazing resource.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BrendanLead

Re: PLEASE REVIEW - Site Design Vignette Review

Postby Billygoatte02 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:29 pm

Your handicapped parking spaces are on the drive aisle. The space furthest south is right in line with the driveway. this should be avoided.

Areas of Concern
1. The relationship between the Plaza and the Office Tower Entrance. Does this need to overlap in anyway? I would not OVERLAP as much as make sure they touch or connect.
2. The relationship between the Plaza and the Handicap Parking. Is a walkway needed to connect to the HC or can the Plaza interact with those spaces instead? I would avoid using the plaza to make that connection. Keep the plaza as simple a rectangle as possible and use the walkways to connect the HC parking.
3. The Conifer Tree I placed near the pond obstructs the Restaurant's view to the pond, but would it be enough to mark against? This shouldn't count against you,
but if you can place it elsewhere to block wind that won't block view it would be better.

4. The walkway can access the sidewalk on either street? It doesn't matter whether its Academy /Bentley? Correct. Unless it specifies in the program, you can connect on either street.
Billygoatte02

Re: PLEASE REVIEW - Site Design Vignette Review

Postby Sparky83 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:14 am

Billygoatte02 wrote:Your handicapped parking spaces are on the drive aisle. The space furthest south is right in line with the driveway. this should be avoided. Entirely irrelevant.

Areas of Concern
1. The relationship between the Plaza and the Office Tower Entrance. Does this need to overlap in anyway? I would not OVERLAP as much as make sure they touch or connect. Overlapping is perfectly acceptable and assures contact.
2. The relationship between the Plaza and the Handicap Parking. Is a walkway needed to connect to the HC or can the Plaza interact with those spaces instead? I would avoid using the plaza to make that connection. [color=#0000FF]The plaza can directly connect to parking spaces of any kind. Keep the plaza as simple a rectangle as possible and use the walkways to connect the HC parking.[/color] The shape of the PP does not matter.
3. The Conifer Tree I placed near the pond obstructs the Restaurant's view to the pond, but would it be enough to mark against? This shouldn't count against you,
but if you can place it elsewhere to block wind that won't block view it would be better.
Yes, blocking part of the view can count against you.
4. The walkway can access the sidewalk on either street? It doesn't matter whether its Academy /Bentley? Correct. Unless it specifies in the program, you can connect on either street.
Sparky83

Return to SPD - SITE PLANNING & DESIGN