Site Design & Grading Vignette Alts - please review

Site Grading & Site Design Vignettes and Multiple Choice

Site Design & Grading Vignette Alts - please review

Postby guiggster » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:09 pm

I feel like involvement in this board is understandably dying down, as ARE4.0 gets closer to retirement. Hoping that Sparky83 or someone else is able to give me a little feedback before I test in a week.

The alt calls for:
Daycare (30'H): close to monument; entry visible from Bentley; view of monument and playground
School (20'H): close to daycare; dropoff entry "blocked" from playground
Playground (6800sf): blocked from wind; shaded in summer noon
Parking: 32 spaces + 4 HC spaces (90' from Daycare entry)

I killed one more tree than allowed. A few questions: 1) Look ok? 2) shading strategy puts deciduous trees in the playground...cool? or not cool?, 3) how much planting area is needed to plant trees (5' width ok?), 4) how are drives, plazas, and walkways supposed to interact with the "entry box" at entrances?

Site Design Alt #2
sd-alt2-1.jpg

Zoom:
sd-alt2-zoom-1.jpg

Site Grading Alt
sg-alt2-1.jpg

Zoom:
sg-alt2-zoom-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
guiggster

Re: Site Design & Grading Vignette Alts - please review

Postby guiggster » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:25 am

I thought I'd spend a little more time looking through the forum and try to answer some of my own questions in case it proves useful to others:

guiggster wrote:I killed one more tree than allowed. A few questions:
1) Look ok? Seems to look O.K. A small corner of an accessible parking space is outside of the 90' max distance from the Daycare entry, which could be amount to a major error.
2) shading strategy puts deciduous trees in the playground...cool? or not cool? From all accounts, deciduous trees are ok to be placed on plazas (grey program).,

These two questions, I could still use some clarification on:

guiggster wrote:3) how much planting area is needed to plant trees (5' width ok?), This is really asking about coniferous trees, specifically. Should it be 7' min. planting width given that this is a real life minimum? In my solution, the drip line of the coniferous trees encroach into parking areas. Is this an error? Same with walkways?
4) how are drives, plazas, and walkways supposed to interact with the "entry box" at entrances? It seems that overlap is okay, as long as the walks or drives touch the entry "box". But should plazas be drawn around the entry box or up against the building as if we're ignoring the white box?
guiggster

Return to SPD - SITE PLANNING & DESIGN