Site Design Vignette - First Attempt

Site Grading & Site Design Vignettes and Multiple Choice

Site Design Vignette - First Attempt

Postby ThomKat » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:09 pm

First off...holy cow!! I would have totally failed if this was the real exam just based on time alone, but I will keep practicing to get faster. I do have some questions:
1. My Pedestrian Plaza is 8000.5 square feet...I'm assuming the .5 is fine? Is there a +/- variance or do I need to get exact?
2. I had trouble getting some of the driveways to layout perfectly straight, even with Ortho on, is that an issue is they are slightly off?
3. Do I have enough conifer trees blocking the PP from winds?
4. The NCARB passing solution shows a walkway cutting across a driveway...is that okay? I thought I read that it's not allowed?
5. The restaurant must have a view of the pond...does this mean any side of the restaurant or does it need to be the front?
6. What part of the buildings is considered the main entrance? The actual double building line or the entry pad? (just want to make sure my HC parking is close enough)

Any feedback would be great! I think I'm trying too hard to make the PP pretty with perfectly straight edges and 90 degree corners...should I knock that crap off and just get it in there correctly and move on? I'm gonna go have a drink now...sheesh! :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ThomKat

Re: Site Design Vignette - First Attempt

Postby Sparky83 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:47 am

ThomKat wrote:First off...holy cow!! I would have totally failed if this was the real exam just based on time alone, but I will keep practicing to get faster. I do have some questions:
1. My Pedestrian Plaza is 8000.5 square feet...I'm assuming the .5 is fine? Is there a +/- variance or do I need to get exact? That's easily close enough. Being exact is nearly impossible, but getting within about 5 s.f. is easy.
2. I had trouble getting some of the driveways to layout perfectly straight, even with Ortho on, is that an issue is they are slightly off? No.
3. Do I have enough conifer trees blocking the PP from winds? Incorrectly placed.
4. The NCARB passing solution shows a walkway cutting across a driveway...is that okay? No. NCARB passing examples contain errors. They're passing, not perfect. I thought I read that it's not allowed? Correct.
5. The restaurant must have a view of the pond...does this mean any side of the restaurant or does it need to be the front? If it needs to be the front, they have to say so.
6. What part of the buildings is considered the main entrance? The triangle indicates the entry point on the building.The actual double building line or the entry pad? (just want to make sure my HC parking is close enough) Those spaces should be entirely within 100' of the entry (point of the triangle at the building).

Any feedback would be great! I think I'm trying too hard to make the PP pretty with perfectly straight edges and 90 degree corners...should I knock that crap off and just get it in there correctly and move on? I'm gonna go have a drink now...sheesh! :)

Why did you add all those deciduous trees?
Very little winter wind protection provided for the PP.
Too much of the PP shaded by the OT at noon.
A walk running along the edge of the PP is redundant. "minimize paving" is a program requirement. Why do you have a walk that runs to the drive? Why do you have a second walk to the public walk?
Do not allow walks to create additional curb cuts.
Coniferous trees that are upwind of the restaurant are not needed.
Sparky83

Re: Site Design Vignette - First Attempt

Postby ThomKat » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:51 am

Thank you! I'll give it another go and fix those issues. I appreciate the feedback!
ThomKat

Return to SPD - SITE PLANNING & DESIGN