It’s a PASS!

Site Grading & Site Design Vignettes and Multiple Choice

It’s a PASS!

Postby Archer40 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:44 pm

Just found out that I passed SPD this morning, which feels like a really lucky one. I almost run out of time for both multiple choice and vignette sections and felt really bad when I walked out the testing center.

For multiple choice section, many of the questions are very tricky, I had to read the questions and answers several times to make my selection, which caused me spent too much time on the first half of the questions, and I had to rush through the last 20 questions without too much thinking…..So I would suggest controlling your time on each question and leave some time for double checking later. In summary, there are many questions about materials, environment and sustainability…..

The vignettes are pretty straightforward, I spent about 30 mins to finish Site grading and then used the other 1.5 hrs to focus on Site Design. I thought I did pretty well on the vignette until I found out a small mistake I made on Site Design with only about 5 mins left, I tried my best to fix it, but I just did not have time to double check everything when time was out…..So again, try to leave enough time to double check!

Study Materials:
-Kaplan
-Ballast
-Jenny’s notes
-SWPPP
-Do the mock exams from Kaplan and Ballast twice, and read explanation of each questions.

Now I have passed SD, PPP, CDS and SPD, and I am still wondering if I should transition to 5.0, any suggestion?
Wish everyone good luck on this exam!!
Archer40

Re: It’s a PASS!

Postby Coach » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:32 pm

Archer40 wrote:Now I have passed SD, PPP, CDS and SPD, and I am still wondering if I should transition to 5.0, any suggestion?

Kind of depends on whether or not you have any rolling clock issues. If transition and lose CDS or PPP before passing PPD and PDD, you'll need 4 5.0 divisions. If you lose both, you need all of 5.0.

Besides that, it's all or nothing with the remaining 4.0 divisions. If you don't pass all 3 in the next 9 1/2 months, you've just wasted time and money.

I searched your posts and it appears that SD is your oldest (but it has not affect on your transition) and you have a little over 4 years on CDS. That looks good.

Digging into the divisions...

PDD: 120 items, 4.25hr = 2.125 min/item
PPD: 120 items, 4.25hr = 2.125 min/item

BDCS: 85 items 1.75hr = 1.235 min/item
BS: 95 items, 2.0hr = 1.263 min/item
SS: 125 items, 3.5hr = 1.68 min/item

I'm ignoring the vignettes because they they're easy unless you have a complete meltdown.

So, based on that comparison, it's kind of a no-brainer. Especially if you're weak on structures. The 5.0 divisions are somewhat less focused but that can be good or bad depending on your point of view.

If I were in your situation, I'd lean heavily towards transitioning but I still don't like some of what I've seen of the 5.0 format.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby Archer40 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:01 pm

Coach wrote:
Archer40 wrote:Now I have passed SD, PPP, CDS and SPD, and I am still wondering if I should transition to 5.0, any suggestion?

Kind of depends on whether or not you have any rolling clock issues. If transition and lose CDS or PPP before passing PPD and PDD, you'll need 4 5.0 divisions. If you lose both, you need all of 5.0.

Besides that, it's all or nothing with the remaining 4.0 divisions. If you don't pass all 3 in the next 9 1/2 months, you've just wasted time and money.

I searched your posts and it appears that SD is your oldest (but it has not affect on your transition) and you have a little over 4 years on CDS. That looks good.

Digging into the divisions...

PDD: 120 items, 4.25hr = 2.125 min/item
PPD: 120 items, 4.25hr = 2.125 min/item

BDCS: 85 items 1.75hr = 1.235 min/item
BS: 95 items, 2.0hr = 1.263 min/item
SS: 125 items, 3.5hr = 1.68 min/item

I'm ignoring the vignettes because they they're easy unless you have a complete meltdown.

So, based on that comparison, it's kind of a no-brainer. Especially if you're weak on structures. The 5.0 divisions are somewhat less focused but that can be good or bad depending on your point of view.

If I were in your situation, I'd lean heavily towards transitioning but I still don't like some of what I've seen of the 5.0 format.

Coach, thank you so much for your reply and detail explanation about whether I should transition to 5.0, very helpful insight and advice. Yes, the rolling clock should not be an issue for me, my biggest concern is the deadline of 4.0. Although I passed my 4 exams all at the first attempt, I believe I spent much longer time than other people preparing for each exam, with family and kid it is just hard to have continuous time schedule for the study. So, with only about 9 months left, I am afraid that I cannot finish the 3. I don't mind the vignettes of 4.0 because I think they are pretty straightforward and it just need enough practice and be very careful during the exam.

My last question: if I stay with 4.0 but cannot finish the 3 divisions by next June, are the knowledge from the study still useful for PDD and PPD of 5.0? Is there a lot of overlapping between them?
Archer40

Postby Coach » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:56 pm

Archer40 wrote:My last question: if I stay with 4.0 but cannot finish the 3 divisions by next June, are the knowledge from the study still useful for PDD and PPD of 5.0? Is there a lot of overlapping between them?

There's certainly going to be some overlap with those divisions and the ones you already passed. Look at the breakdown for the 5.0 divisions.

With your track record you may want to continue with 4.0, but you may want to plan them to allow time for retakes just in case.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby Archer40 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:42 pm

Coach wrote:
Archer40 wrote:My last question: if I stay with 4.0 but cannot finish the 3 divisions by next June, are the knowledge from the study still useful for PDD and PPD of 5.0? Is there a lot of overlapping between them?

There's certainly going to be some overlap with those divisions and the ones you already passed. Look at the breakdown for the 5.0 divisions.

With your track record you may want to continue with 4.0, but you may want to plan them to allow time for retakes just in case.

Thank you again Coach, I will find out more information about 5.0 before I make a decision. Whichever I choose, I will plan it carefully.
Archer40

Return to SPD - SITE PLANNING & DESIGN