Site Grading - Building Location in Relation to Contour

Site Grading & Site Design Vignettes and Multiple Choice

Site Grading - Building Location in Relation to Contour

Postby aa303lim » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:18 pm

Hi All,

I've found it difficult to adjust the contours to stay within the minimum slope and have been testing out different strategies to site the building to make it easier, and I'm hoping you can provide some feedback.

In the NCARB ARE 4.0 Exam Guide, the building is centered nearly directly over the 106' contour, and the pad is set at 106'-6". This involves a lot of grading adjustment upslope as the 106' contour must reach back and create a swale behind the building. Now, if we locate the building in front of the contour which the pad is based off of, this seems to make it easier to adjust the contours since the contours are already behind the pad and we don't run into the issue of minimum slope.

Please see the below example. I've set the building pad at 108'-6" (disregard that is says Elev 8'-6") and the building is located in front of the 108' contour. It seems to me to be a lot easier to adjust the contours this way than locating the building directly over or behind the contour on which the pad is based. Am I missing something here?

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
aa303lim

Return to SPD - SITE PLANNING & DESIGN