Site Grading, Please Review

Site Grading & Site Design Vignettes and Multiple Choice

Site Grading, Please Review

Postby mdough4 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:46 pm

Appreciate it!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mdough4

Re: Site Grading, Please Review

Postby are_taker2016 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:40 pm

hi there,

your 106 contour need to offset 2-6 from the building....since it is 106-6" ff.
are_taker2016

Postby mdough4 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:03 pm

interesting, where are you getting that 2'-6" information?
mdough4

Postby Sparky83 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:25 pm

are_taker2016 wrote:hi there,

That is seriously WRONG. Draw it in section.
Sparky83

Postby SDTK » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:51 pm

Sparky83 wrote:

It's interesting that I see this argued both ways. In the real world, you want your FF to be 8 inches above the grade at slab edge, to keep water out, but I have seen some tutorials that argue the vignette program wants the grade at slab edge to be equal to FF, which again is terrible for waterproofing. Can anyone say definitively what NCARB wants regarding this?

If a slope is rising at 20%, in 5' it will rise 1', so in 30" it will rise 6". So if your pad grade line is drawn 30" away from slab edge, the grade will rise 6 inches by the time it reaches the slab edge. So if your grade line is 106', and your display FF is 106'-6", then your grade at slab edge will be equal to the FF, which you would never typically want. I can't imagine this is what NCARB wants... But again, I have seen this suggested. What's does the vignette want?
SDTK

Postby VTBassdrum13 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:29 am

SDTK wrote:
Sparky83 wrote:

It's interesting that I see this argued both ways. In the real world, you want your FF to be 8 inches above the grade at slab edge, to keep water out, but I have seen some tutorials that argue the vignette program wants the grade at slab edge to be equal to FF, which again is terrible for waterproofing. Can anyone say definitively what NCARB wants regarding this?

If a slope is rising at 20%, in 5' it will rise 1', so in 30" it will rise 6". So if your pad grade line is drawn 30" away from slab edge, the grade will rise 6 inches by the time it reaches the slab edge. So if your grade line is 106', and your display FF is 106'-6", then your grade at slab edge will be equal to the FF, which you would never typically want. I can't imagine this is what NCARB wants... But again, I have seen this suggested. What's does the vignette want?

"In the real world" doesn't exist on the AREs, especially on these vignettes. The Program states " The Finished Floor Area must be 6" above the level area." This is saying that you are creating a level area, ie. 106', and the FF is 6" above that. Think of it like a 6" thick slab sitting on top of that level area. There is no requirement to slope up to be flush with the FF. I'm not expert on these vignettes but that is my understanding from the limited information given in the program. No additional information/code applies
VTBassdrum13

Postby Sparky83 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:04 pm

SDTK wrote:
Sparky83 wrote:

Like I said, draw it in section. The adjacent contour line MUST follow the edge of the display, or the display elevation will be an even number, NOT (+6").
Sparky83

Return to SPD - SITE PLANNING & DESIGN