Suggestions for Retake

Site Grading & Site Design Vignettes and Multiple Choice

Suggestions for Retake

Postby joannlui » Mon May 22, 2017 12:57 pm

I'm retaking SPD for the 3rd time. Previously, both two times I failed the Code & Regulations and Project Management portion. But I passed everything else including the vignettes.

Any suggestions on what else I can study for the code & project management section? I feel like I studied almost everything I could find last time, but still failed...
joannlui

Re: Suggestions for Retake

Postby gbalaka » Mon May 22, 2017 2:26 pm

Have you taken a look at "Building Codes Illustrated"? I browsed through that for my retake and I also used Ballast and Designerhacks quizes over and over again.
gbalaka

Postby yup1961 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:24 am

Just because you failed that portion doesn't mean you need to study it. There may have been 3 questions in that topic. I actually think its really misguiding the way they do it because the test IS NOT broken down into pass/fail sections. Focus on the test as a whole. Improving a point in each "category" might put you over the edge for a pass.
yup1961

Postby corbismyhomeboy » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:48 am

joannlui, did you work on practice questions? I know that was the key for me. It helps not only to get the concepts down, but also to practice the tricky NCARB wording. I used the Ballast practice questions, but the key was the NALSA flashcards. They're way faster than sitting down with the Ballast, and they're easy to take with you.

I will second yup's comment. The test is broken up in such a funny way, and the next time you take it, you may get a completely different kind of test. Make sure to study everything or at the very least review the information so you're prepared.
corbismyhomeboy

Return to SPD - SITE PLANNING & DESIGN