SPD Vignettes: Site Grading + Site Design (please review)

Site Grading & Site Design Vignettes and Multiple Choice

SPD Vignettes: Site Grading + Site Design (please review)

Postby chinelo » Sun May 14, 2017 5:26 am

Please help me review my vignettes. Below are some questions I have:

Site Grading (NCARB's)
1. Are there multiple solutions for this vignette?
2. Where do I measure 5' in between slopes? Is it from the tip of the "crown" to another?
3. What is the criteria in placing the building?

Site Design (Dorf's)
1. Must the handicap parking spaces be perpendicular to the office?
2. Are my new trees too close to the existing?
3. Is my plaza receiving too much sun?
4. Should there be a walkways to Academy Street (even though it isn't mentioned in the program)?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
chinelo

Re: SPD Vignettes: Site Grading + Site Design (please review

Postby Sparky83 » Sun May 14, 2017 6:05 am

chinelo wrote:Please help me review my vignettes. Below are some questions I have:

Site Grading (NCARB's)
1. Are there multiple solutions for this vignette? There are infinite solutions to this vignette.
2. Where do I measure 5' in between slopes? That is for max slope. Anywhere between contour lines.Is it from the tip of the "crown" to another? No.
3. What is the criteria in placing the building? Anywhere it will fit and you can make the grading work.

Site Design (Dorf's)
4. Should there be a walkways to Academy Street (even though it isn't mentioned in the program)?

Sorry, I don't review alts.

SG:
How did you verify the minimum slope? Leave sketch elements on when posting so we can see how you solved it.
No need for a berm on the east side of the display.
Sparky83

Postby chinelo » Sun May 14, 2017 8:26 am

Thanks for the quick reply!

Site Grading:
The program states, "The slope of the regraded portions of the site shall be
at least 2 percent and no more than 20 percent."

My calculation: 1' (change in intervals)/.02 = 50' ; 1'/0.2 = 5'

For example, in between north contour 107' & 108', I calculated: 7'-2"+36'-5"= approx. 43'
I attached my vignette which shows my sketch elements and their dimensions. I hope I'm doing it correctly? If there are anything else you noticed that is incorrect, please let me know.

In the meantime, I'll work on the NCARB's Site Design vignette.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
chinelo

Postby Sparky83 » Sun May 14, 2017 9:12 am

chinelo wrote:Thanks for the quick reply!

Site Grading:
The program states, "The slope of the regraded portions of the site shall be
at least 2 percent and no more than 20 percent."

My calculation: 1' (change in intervals)/.02 = 50' ; 1'/0.2 = 5'

For example, in between north contour 107' & 108', I calculated: 7'-2"+36'-5"= approx. 43'
I attached my vignette which shows my sketch elements and their dimensions. I hope I'm doing it correctly? If there are anything else you noticed that is incorrect, please let me know. No, not even close.

In the meantime, I'll work on the NCARB's Site Design vignette.

Go here for more info on minimum slope:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=47276
Sparky83

Postby chinelo » Sun May 14, 2017 9:20 am

Thanks. I saw that post earlier, but I must of read the solutions on the attachments wrong. I'll study it again.

Attached is my attempt with NCARB's site design.

5. How will I determine to place deciduous trees for shading? I hope my plaza will receive the noonday summer sun.
chinelo

Postby Sparky83 » Sun May 14, 2017 3:22 pm

chinelo wrote:Thanks. I saw that post earlier, but I must of read the solutions on the attachments wrong. I'll study it again.

Attached is my attempt with NCARB's site design.

1. Must the handicap parking spaces be perpendicular to the office? No. Why would that matter?
2. Are my new trees too close to the existing? Doesn't matter.
3. Is my plaza receiving too much sun? You could easily reduce it. The PP does not have to be rectilinear.
4. Should there be a walkways to Academy Street (even though it isn't mentioned in the program)? Why would you add something not in the program?
5. How will I determine to place deciduous trees for shading? Shading isn't in the program. I hope my plaza will receive the noonday summer sun.

A walk crossing a driveway is not continuous as required and is a safety issue.
Most of the new trees north of the restaurant, and east of the main drive are not needed.
Sparky83

Postby chinelo » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:55 pm

Thanks! However, the NCARB solution shows a walkway crossing the driveway as a passing solution.

Please review my vignettes. I have an exam this Monday.

Silly question, but I have to ask - for the site design vignette, does it matter how many trees I have in the right location?
chinelo

Postby Sparky83 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:35 am

chinelo wrote:Thanks! However, the NCARB solution shows a walkway crossing the driveway as a passing solution. Yes it does. It's an error there too. Repeating NCARB's errors is not recommended. NCARB passing examples are passing, not perfect. See pg 26 of the ARE 4.0 Guidelines.

Please review my vignettes. I have an exam this Monday.

Silly question, but I have to ask - for the site design vignette, does it matter how many trees I have in the right location? Of course it matters.

SD
Excessive new trees. A single row will do. Why are there new trees south of the service drive?
A walk crossing a driveway is not continuous as required and is a safety issue.

SG
Clearly failing. Min slope requirement not met between 105 & 106.
No need for the berm east of the display.
Sparky83

Postby chinelo » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:02 am

Thank you, Sparky. Below are questions I have:

SG - Is it failing because of the slope between 105 &106 ONLY? If not, I guess creating a berm is also a fail?
SD - Should I rotate the restaurant 180 degrees so that the entry is pointing south (of course move the service, its driveway and new trees accordingly)? I ask because it'll help create a safer continuous walkway.
chinelo

Postby PollyD » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:26 am

[quote="chinelo"]

Chinelo-
I didn't see in the program where you needed to connect the pedestrian plaza to the sidewalk either- but I noticed it was in everyone's solution. In rereading the program #12 states to, "connect the pedestrian plaza [...] to the existing public walk with a continuous walkway system."
PollyD

Postby Sparky83 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:18 am

chinelo wrote:Thank you, Sparky. Below are questions I have:

SG - Is it failing because of the slope between 105 &106 ONLY? That requirement is missed in two locatons. If not, I guess creating a berm is also a fail? No, it's just not needed.
SD - Should I rotate the restaurant 180 degrees so that the entry is pointing south (of course move the service, its driveway and new trees accordingly)? That's one way to do it.I ask because it'll help create a safer continuous walkway.
Sparky83

Return to SPD - SITE PLANNING & DESIGN