First Go at Site Design

Site Grading & Site Design Vignettes and Multiple Choice

First Go at Site Design

Postby danieb1 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:21 pm

I test next Tuesday. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

I also have a few questions:

1. Any tips for making the plaza exactly 8000 square feet? It would be easy enough if the one gets a great big space to plop a square into, but what if you need to make a polygon to have it fit between other parts of the program? The closest I could get with the adjust tool is 8000.5. Is it better to err under?

2. Do the walkways needs to actually touch the entrances? I am scared of having points taken away for them overlapping. Same thing for aisles/parkways and entrance of tower/plaza.

3. Can a walkway cross through a parking aisle?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
danieb1

Re: First Go at Site Design

Postby professorcornbread » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:23 pm

danieb1 wrote:1. Any tips for making the plaza exactly 8000 square feet?
No need to get exactly, within 1 like you did is plenty precise.

danieb1 wrote:2. Do the walkways needs to actually touch the entrances? I am scared of having points taken away for them overlapping. Same thing for aisles/parkways and entrance of tower/plaza.
Have them touch, but not overlap. In the cases where it's in between, overlap a bit.

danieb1 wrote:3. Can a walkway cross through a parking aisle?
Avoid it, it is a minor error.

With your solution there are a few big issues:
Bentley doesn't have a view of the OT entrance
Handicap parking isn't within 100' of OT entrance (use sketch circle to confirm)
Is the restaurant 210' from the OT?
Restaurant doesn't have a view of the pond (rotate 90 deg CCW, this will shorten the service drive)

Minor issues:
Triple load the parking for greater efficiency
professorcornbread

Postby rgharvey » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:13 pm

In addition to those comments:

c trees are blocking the view of the pond from the restaurant- the trees themselves can be further off the plaza, and will help to shield the wind regardless. Take a look at some other solutions on this forum for an example of that. This is NCARB world- suspend all reality and prior knowledge.

in some other alternate vignette programs, the plaza requires shade at noon. I've found the best way to begin the plaza form is to sketch a 50 by x rectangle, to achieve the general sf. This way, you can embed the shade into the plaza design from the beginning, instead of scrambling to draw the plaza later and ensure it's shaded properly.

for parking, watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=984JD8JFICQ&index=10&list=PLGKgjTlgaXO6QaQqbHUjwpt5J3Yg8CzVW
I've found that drawing this grid helps to immediately determine how large/what orientation your parking should take. faster than guessing with rectangles and then trying to move them all at once.
rgharvey

Postby Sparky83 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:25 am

danieb1 wrote:I test next Tuesday. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

I also have a few questions:

1. Any tips for making the plaza exactly 8000 square feet? It would be easy enough if the one gets a great big space to plop a square into, but what if you need to make a polygon to have it fit between other parts of the program? The closest I could get with the adjust tool is 8000.5. Is it better to err under? Since it does not have to be rectilinear, getting within just a few s.f. is quite easy and is good enough.

2. Do the walkways needs to actually touch the entrances? They must at least touch the entry rectangles. Overlapping is acceptable.I am scared of having points taken away for them overlapping. Same thing for aisles/parkways and entrance of tower/plaza.

3. Can a walkway cross through a parking aisle? Not recommended. They would not be continuous as required and would be a safety issue.

Main drive fails to connect to the street. Fatal.
A walk running along the edge of the PP is redundant. "minimize paving" is a program requirement.
OT entry is not visible from Bentley.
Rotating the restaurant would reduce the length of the service drive.
HCP parking must be entirely within 100' of the OT entry.
Restaurant view of the pond is marginal at best.
The PP fails to connect to the OT entry.
Sparky83

Postby danieb1 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:12 pm

Wow. What a mess. Thanks to all three of you. Some of your comments have brought up a few additional questions.

Ok. So when NCARB says they want the main entrance to be “visible from Bentley” they mean that is has to directly face Bentley?

Handicap parking isn't within 100' of OT entrance (use sketch circle to confirm)

Does the entire handicap configuration need to fit within that circle or just touch it?

Similar question. If only the entrance needs to be within 210’ then it is, but do they want the whole restaurant within 210’?
danieb1

Postby Sparky83 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:12 am

danieb1 wrote:Wow. What a mess. Thanks to all three of you. Some of your comments have brought up a few additional questions.

Ok. So when NCARB says they want the main entrance to be “visible from Bentley” they mean that is has to directly face Bentley?Yes.

Does the entire handicap configuration need to fit within that circle or just touch it? Within.

Similar question. If only the entrance needs to be within 210’ then it is, but do they want the whole restaurant within 210’? That doesn't make any sense
Sparky83

Postby danieb1 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:09 pm

Thanks, Sparky. You're right. My third question makes no sense because they are supposed to be 210' apart, not within each other...
danieb1

Postby r_key_tect » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:48 pm

I know this is an old post. However I have a question about the service aisle intersection within the parking lot.
Is this okay? Can you pass through the parking lot to gain access to the service aisle? Is it Major, Minor or Critical Error?
r_key_tect

Return to SPD - SITE PLANNING & DESIGN