First Pass at Site Grading - feedback?

Site Grading & Site Design Vignettes and Multiple Choice

First Pass at Site Grading - feedback?

Postby eyestrain » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:30 pm

This is my first attempt at the site grading vignette after reading through multiple forums/study guides/youtube videos. I'd love some feedback just to make sure I'm on the right track. Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eyestrain

Re: First Pass at Site Grading - feedback?

Postby Liam's_Dad » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:41 pm

My $0.02:

general rule is to orient the building parallel to the contours.
I think your pad elevation is actually 106'-6"
Your swale (contour 107) should end up being the elevation in which your pad is "built". Bring the 107 contour (West of the swale) to the West of the building.
make sure you have the MINIMUM slope requirement (i.e. 2% or 50'-0") - not sure you have it between 106 and 107.
Try not to direct water right at the existing monument/smokestack
Liam's_Dad

Postby eyestrain » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:01 pm

Most of the solutions I've looked have have stated to turn the pad perpendicular to the contours. Am I just misunderstanding you or did I do this incorrectly from teh start?
eyestrain

Postby Liam's_Dad » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:06 pm

I haven't seen many the are oriented perpendicular. Spend enough time looking through solutions, and I think you'll see what I mean.

I'd imagine a passing solution can be perpendicular, but it's seems to require more earthwork.

It's far more important to get your swales and pad elevation correct.
Liam's_Dad

Postby malyafka » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:40 pm

your 107 line is not placed correctly, it should loop around the platform, look at the ncarb passing solution.
malyafka

Postby eyestrain » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:18 pm

Malyafka - thanks for pointing that out you're right i did forget to wrap 170 around the platform. I've been reading the DORF solutions and they show perpendicular and parallel versions. I guess the key is more that the swales are perpendicular to the contours correct?
eyestrain

Postby malyafka » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:44 pm

you just have to picture it... you need a depression all around the platform and the rest of the contours provide a gradual slope toward that depression so that the water never makes its way to the platform
malyafka

Return to SPD - SITE PLANNING & DESIGN