Site Grading

Site Grading & Site Design Vignettes and Multiple Choice

Site Grading

Postby Robint » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:07 pm

Here is another attempt at site grading. I'm not sure which alt this is - I just managed to get it. The intended elevation is 116'-6" but I have a lot of trouble with my cursor disappearing on the toolbar and just can't access the "set elevation" button. It's very frustrating, which is a theme for me with this NCARB software.

Any input is greatly appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Robint

Re: Site Grading

Postby j.axel » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:44 pm

I think this is a tricky one because u have to pay attention to the slopes on the site and where to locate the building b/c there are 2 ridges with 1 valley. In your case you chose to locate the building in a swale/valley where water will remain and not drain away. I think your Swales south of the building achieve positive drainage but your Swales on the north side don't allow for proper drainage away from the building. I would locate the building as close to the peak of the ridge as possibly allowable. I'm dealing with the same problems on this vignette.
j.axel

Postby mlek77 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:03 pm

Good rule of thumb- pick a site that's as uniformly sloped as possible, with contours that are as straight as possible. Avoid sections of steep, curving contours, and try to locate the pad on about halfway up a slope (or higher, if halfway isn't an option). If you had sited the pad a bit farther north, you probably would have had an easier time of it.

Keep practicing- you'll get the hang of it.
mlek77

Postby Robint » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:40 pm

Great feedback. Thanks. I'll try again tonight!
Robint

Return to SPD - SITE PLANNING & DESIGN