Site Design-NCARB 4.0 (study guide program)

Site Grading & Site Design Vignettes and Multiple Choice

Site Design-NCARB 4.0 (study guide program)

Postby mlek77 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:25 pm

Here's my first pass at the vignette using the study guide program (the one with the 210' building separation).

131112_SD- NCARB 4.0-study guide program.pdf

It ain't pretty, but will it pass?

I'm testing on Friday, so I'd really appreciate some feedback. Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mlek77

Re: Site Design-NCARB 4.0 (study guide program)

Postby mlek77 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:40 am

Anyone...anyone...?
mlek77

Postby enisarch » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:46 am

I am testing on Friday as well! to be honest I stopped practicing on vignettes. Rather, I am reading general directions from different resources that I got about vignnetes.

Your vignnete has a major issue in the way you placed the restaurant. You had the program`s substantial requirements to be profoundly compromised; in terms of orientation of main entance towrds the sun ( should be facing south), the length of the service drive (it is too short) minimum 40' long is required for a 20' truck, and the restaurant`s long facade should be facing the pond (you placed perpindicular).

Hope that helps
enisarch

Postby mlek77 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:14 am

Thanks, enisarch. Not to look a gift-horse in the mouth, but I think we've got some of that program confusion going on. The one I worked off was the one in the post-blackout ARE study guide- no requirement for the restaurant M.E. to get noon sun. The requirement for the restaurant M.E. to get noon sun is in the other program, the one that accompanies the post-blackout software download. NCARB, if you're out there, please throw us a bone- get consistent with your study materials so you can help us help ourselves!

As for the 40' service drive, where did you read that? On pg. 54 of Dorf, he says that the service drive needs to be long enough to accommodate a 20' truck, but more than 20' is acceptable. I take that to mean that the service drive needs to be at 20' from access drive edge to end of service drive, but no more unless necessary. Looks like his passing solutions meet that criteria as well.

I don't want you thinking that I don't appreciate your comments- I really do! I'm just clarifying/continuing the dialogue for the lurkers out there. Good luck on Friday- may the architecture gods be kind to both of us!
mlek77

Postby blancovero » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:40 pm

Hi! The service entrance is always 40 feet long, I am not sure from where I got the concept but that's it! Draw it 40 feet long.
The restaurant should have a view of the pond...
Good luck on your test!
blancovero

Return to SPD - SITE PLANNING & DESIGN