Wind Break in Site Design

Site Grading & Site Design Vignettes and Multiple Choice

Wind Break in Site Design

Postby balow34 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:01 am

Question: could someone please clarify the level of wind break required at the Plaza? Assuming a layout does not use a building to assist with providing a wind break; I've seen several variations with respect to the number of evergreens that people are adding to appropriately "shield" winds from the plaza. Some literally place them one after the other. Others have what I would call, a decent spacing between trees.

Is the intent to ensure every possible portion of the Plaza is shielded (in other words placing new trees, if applicable, side by side by side the entire length) or to provide reasonable coverage (decent spacing of trees, no overlap)?

Thanks
balow34

Re: Wind Break in Site Design

Postby balow34 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:03 am

Add to that: if an existing deciduous tree is on site, do you place a new evergreen over the top of it to effectively block winter winds? Does that count against your number of demolished trees??
balow34

Re: Wind Break in Site Design

Postby light360 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:08 pm

I assumed its better to have C trees side by side and not space out to block wind. It just make more sense. Now if a D trees is in the way of the row of New C trees then I would just place the C tree over it. Well not directly on top of it but right next to it so wind does not hit the plaza (hope you can understand me) and this will not disturb the existing tree. The only way to know what trees are being disturb or will need to be remove is to use the check tool.
light360

Return to SPD - SITE PLANNING & DESIGN