Site Design Alt 1 - Comments?

Site Grading & Site Design Vignettes and Multiple Choice

Site Design Alt 1 - Comments?

Postby beaowr » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:56 pm

Hello once again,

Trying to get some seat time with these Alts before I test next week. Third one today.

This Alt was tricky, mostly due to the size of the long office tower. I find that when I click on the check command, it doesn't highlight all the trees. For instance, I placed buildings within the foliage of a few deciduous trees, and they do not come up as checked.

Is it safe to say that it would be graded as such? Or is it better to count those trees as well. I erred on the safe side and counted them anyway, but the layout could be a whole lot better with those trees not counted. There are a few others I would prefer to build over in the plaza area.

Anyway, I appreciate any comments, especially regarding wind protection from coniferous trees.

Thanks

SD Forum Alt 1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
beaowr

Re: Site Design Alt 1 - Comments?

Postby Joosetiger » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:20 pm

I struggled with not cutting down too many trees as well. On question with your design is whether it is ok for the walkway path to cross the access drive? I had a similar solution to yours but ran the path down and around the entire site so that I didn't have to cross that driveway. Anyone know if creating a crosswalk is accepted or not. The program doesn't specifically address this. Considering crosswalks occur all the time, it seems that they should be allowed to me.
Joosetiger

Re: Site Design Alt 1 - Comments?

Postby beaowr » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:58 am

I had a similar concern too. However, there are a few reasons why I think it is okay to do this:

1. The example in the most recent exam guide for SPD shows the walkway crossing the driveway, and implied this is acceptable.
2. The code/program does not explicitly state that you can't do this.
3. The code/program DOES explicitly state that you are to limit the amount of paving on site.

Therefore, I think it will be okay to cross a driveway. I may look at this one again, and see if I can position the parking and giant tower at a different location.

That being said, running the pathway past and around the parking wouldn't affect the amount of paving so much, and so with enough time, I would change it to go around the parking.
beaowr

Return to SPD - SITE PLANNING & DESIGN