Crit requested: Site Design Vignette (first attempt)

Site Grading & Site Design Vignettes and Multiple Choice

Crit requested: Site Design Vignette (first attempt)

Postby sharplogic » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:21 pm

Could someone please give me a crit?
Questions as I self-critique:
    1. I avoided removing as many trees as possible (only took one out). Could have squished the plaza eastward and took out the two trees shading the portion @ office entry. Is it a better call to save the trees, or avoid plaza shade?
    2. Is there a min. length of the restaurant's "service drive"?
    3. Conifers: Do I need to totally steer clear of the drip line for new trees, or is it okay as I've shown?
    4. HC parking - necessary to connect all 3 spots with a walkway, or does a walkway simply need to "touch" the block of 3 spaces at some point? (I know "real" reg's require POT outside the drive aisle, but irrelevant for purpose of this vignette...)
    5. Drive aisles - Do bends/kinks count against the score, like at my curbcut? Distance from curb - As long as we've got 20' are things okay - or are more "points" awarded if it's say 40' long..?

Thanks all!
-S

2018 0218 SPD SITE PLANNING - NCARB_lowres.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sharplogic

Re: Crit requested: Site Design Vignette (first attempt)

Postby Sparky83 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:25 am

sharplogic wrote:Could someone please give me a crit?
Questions as I self-critique:
    1. I avoided removing as many trees as possible (only took one out). Could have squished the plaza eastward and took out the two trees shading the portion @ office entry. Is it a better call to save the trees, or avoid plaza shade? You can kill 6 trees. No bonus points for killing less.
    2. Is there a min. length of the restaurant's "service drive"? Long enough to park there and not block the drive.
    3. Conifers: Do I need to totally steer clear of the drip line for new trees, or is it okay as I've shown? Coniferous trees should not overlap paving.
    4. HC parking - necessary to connect all 3 spots with a walkway, or does a walkway simply need to "touch" the block of 3 spaces at some point? (I know "real" reg's require POT outside the drive aisle, but irrelevant for purpose of this vignette...) All 3 must have pedestrian access.
    5. Drive aisles - Do bends/kinks count against the score, like at my curbcut? Distance from curb - As long as we've got 20' are things okay - or are more "points" awarded if it's say 40' long..?
NO!

Thanks all!
-S

OT should face north.
Service drive violates the 5' building setback.
Missing walk to the public walk.
Why is there a walk to the drive?
Restaurant entry does not have to face the pond.
Service drive is too short.
SE corner of the PP has no winter wind protection.
Sparky83

Postby sharplogic » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:51 pm

Sparky, thanks so much for the review!
I took another pass at the same vignette, attached. Appreciate any comments you or anyone else have on this one too!

2018 025 SPD SITE PLANNING - NCARB_lowres.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sharplogic

Postby sharplogic » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:14 am

Passed! Thanks to Sparky and this forum for being such a great reference!

Now, onto the 5.0 transition!
sharplogic

Return to SPD - SITE PLANNING & DESIGN