Grading & Site Design Vignettes - 1st Attempt pls review!

Site Grading & Site Design Vignettes and Multiple Choice

Grading & Site Design Vignettes - 1st Attempt pls review!

Postby priscilla17 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:55 pm

Looking to get some feedback on first attempt of both vignettes.

SITE GRADING - Questions:
What does NCARB deem "excessive" in terms of contour modifications and is this too little? Seemed to only take me 15-20 mins to complete this - is this normal...? Just trying to check that I'm not missing any crucial information.

SITE DESIGN - Questions:
Can the walkway intersect with the "entrance" area of the restaurant?
Does all of the plaza have to be out of the tower's shadow?
Is there a limit to how many trees we can add?

Please let me know if these are acceptable as passing solutions or where I went wrong - thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
priscilla17

Re: Grading & Site Design Vignettes - 1st Attempt pls review

Postby Sparky83 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:03 am

priscilla17 wrote:Looking to get some feedback on first attempt of both vignettes.

What does NCARB deem "excessive" in terms of contour modifications ...more than is necessary to meet the program requirements.and is this too little? Yes. Program requirements not metSeemed to only take me 15-20 mins to complete this - is this normal...? Just trying to check that I'm not missing any crucial information. Minimum slope requirement not met. Not even close. No need for berms.

SITE DESIGN - Questions:
Can the walkway intersect with the "entrance" area of the restaurant? Yes.
Does all of the plaza have to be out of the tower's shadow? Impossible and meet all program requirements.
Is there a limit to how many trees we can add? No.

Please let me know if these are acceptable as passing solutions or where I went wrong - thanks!

SG -
Go here for min slope info. Your solution would NOT pass.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=47276

SD -
A walk crossing a drive is not continuous as required and is a safety issue.
New trees SW of the restaurant are not needed. The service ENTRY is on the south face of the building and cannot be see from within the PP...even without the new trees.
Missing a walk to the public walk.
Main drive overlaps the easement. MAJOR error at the least.
Sparky83

Postby priscilla17 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:16 am

Sparky83 - thanks for the comments. I have a couple follow up questions below.

Sparky83 wrote:
priscilla17 wrote:Looking to get some feedback on first attempt of both vignettes.

What does NCARB deem "excessive" in terms of contour modifications ...more than is necessary to meet the program requirements.and is this too little? Yes. Program requirements not metSeemed to only take me 15-20 mins to complete this - is this normal...? Just trying to check that I'm not missing any crucial information. Minimum slope requirement not met. Not even close. No need for berms.

SITE DESIGN - Questions:
Does all of the plaza have to be out of the tower's shadow? Impossible and meet all program requirements.

SG -
http://www.arecoach.com/coachforum/view ... =5&t=47276

SD -
A walk crossing a drive is not continuous as required and is a safety issue. NCARB's passing solution shows this walk crossing the driveway in a similar manner. If I hadn't forgotten the walk to the public walk, would this be ok? I'm not totally clear on how a "continuous walk" is defined.
New trees SW of the restaurant are not needed. The service ENTRY is on the south face of the building and cannot be see from within the PP...even without the new trees. Would points be deducted for this because the trees are unnecessary?
priscilla17

Postby Sparky83 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:38 am

priscilla17 wrote:Sparky83 - thanks for the comments. I have a couple follow up questions below.

Sparky83 wrote:

SITE DESIGN - Questions:

SG -
http://www.arecoach.com/coachforum/view ... =5&t=47276

SD -
A walk crossing a drive is not continuous as required and is a safety issue. NCARB's passing solution shows this walk crossing the driveway in a similar manner. If I hadn't forgotten the walk to the public walk, would this be ok? I'm not totally clear on how a "continuous walk" is defined. NCARB passing examples contain errors. Continuous means not interrupted.
New trees SW of the restaurant are not needed. The service ENTRY is on the south face of the building and cannot be see from within the PP...even without the new trees. Would points be deducted for this because the trees are unnecessary? Unknown, but it is possible they deduct for elements not needed by the program.
Sparky83

Postby priscilla17 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:12 am

I have re-attempted the site design vignette. Please review and comment - thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
priscilla17

Postby Sparky83 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:31 am

New walk creates a 2nd curb cut.
NEVER make users of HCP parking cross a drive...in NCARBland. Also HCP parking spaces should be entirely within 100' of the OT entry.
Don't allow new coniferous trees to block any of the view of the pond from the restaurant.
Sparky83

Postby priscilla17 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:51 am

@Sparky83 - how's this?

Technically does this solution successfully block views of the service entrance from the public plaza? That's why I initially had that coniferous tree over at the SE corner of the plaza.
priscilla17

Return to SPD - SITE PLANNING & DESIGN