Just took test: thoughts/advice

Site Zoning Vignette and Multiple Choice

Just took test: thoughts/advice

Postby cma52572 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:57 pm

Hi guys,
I just took PPP for the 2nd time and wanted to give you all my thoughts.

First of all, that is one TOUGH test. I received a level 1 on the MC and I think a level 3 on the vignette last time. So I was good on MC.

Not trying to make excuses but I had serious syncing problems w/ my mouse on vignette last time.

So this time I made sure to bring that up w/ them before going in the room. They said "oh yeah that was likely our internet connection because a bunch of our computers have a really bad internet connection and we'd have to rewire the whole room to fix it".

I was like "oh great...wish I had known this LAST time", but anyway having this chat was very helpful because this time they were sure to give me a computer w/ a solid internet connection and I had no glitch probs this time. So you may want to bring that up w/ your test proctor on front in. The internet connection is SO critical on the vignette.

So back to the MC:

Ok if you are like me and you failed last time because you failed vignette but did fine on MC DO NOT take that for granted!!! Luckily I did not and studied my ass off for the MC and Im glad I did. It was TOUGH. This test is TOUGH.

The way they ask the questions is very confusing and the scope of material is ENORMOUS. I pray I passed it because I dont even know how I would study for it. I did recently take con docs which is super helpful. There were numerous con doc questions.

I read the big ballast book, Carolines notes, ArchiFlash, Kaplan, Chen--although Chen is practically useless because they are just wrong on so many things so you may want to avoid him.

I purchased virtually any alt I could get my hands on for the vignettes and that was helpful. The test vignette was actually easier than many of the alternates so that was a huge relief.

I was feeling super paranoid about getting outside the envelope by any amount so I erred on drawing the lines a tiny bit inside the envelope and I hope that doesnt hurt me. This time was a totally different vignette experience and I felt pretty good.

Althougth WARNING: Make sure you do not use the building profile to draw your grade!!!! I did that and panicked. But thankfully rather than redrawing all the vertical lines and starting over I just decided to trace it verbatim and then erase it. Phew problem solved.

But funny thing is I knew this could be an issue and I thought I was being careful. Its soooo easy to do so make a note on your scratch to pay close attention when you are drawing the grade!!

Ok Ill let you know soon if I passed or if I have to do it again. Good luck!
cma52572

Re: Just took test: thoughts/advice

Postby jijiniuniu » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:13 pm

Thanks for sharing your thoughts . You are not a lone. I took exam on 4/21 . MC is always super tough for me . Vignette is a piece of cake . But last time. I failed in vignette because the resolution of computer was wrong. All of the circle reference lines show as ovals and squares show as rectangular. It was horrible experience . Very frustrated. This time I talked to the test center in front just like you. So they assign me a good computer without problem. I am full of confidence about vignette this time, but pray for MC. As you said it is very tough, although someone feels it is an easy pass. I studied all of the materials that you mentioned,but as you know, there are so many confusing questions. I pray I can pass. Otherwise, I would not know how to study. Hi CMA , any tips for MC? Thanks
Last edited by jijiniuniu on Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jijiniuniu

Postby cma52572 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:58 pm

thanks for sharing! glad I'm not in this boat alone.

I just cant fathom who and how they are writing these questions and what the hell they are thinking. Its like they are missing pieces of information in the questions that anyone would need to answer them. I know they use little tricks to try and throw you off. I went through all the Black Spectacles videos but these test questions are just bizarre.

I also found many where there was easily more than one right answer but they only wanted one. The other bummer is I have truly studied my ass off and don't feel I was able to demonstrate all of the things I do know about.

I wish there was an essay portion or a fill in the blank. I feel ok about my performance on mc but not solid. I felt great about the vignette this time, but I cant guarantee I nailed it because of the tolerances w/ the software.

This test felt more comprehensive to me than Con Docs. I could be wrong. It just felt like you needed to have just studied for ALL of the tests to take this one including the MEP test (I'm so out of it I cant recall the name). I wish they would narrow the scope of each test.

But hopefully Ncarb will tell Prometrics that a solid internet connection is critical for the ARE. Not sure about the other test takers in there. Maybe its not critical for them so they don't care that much, but I have seen enough complaints about the glitching that something needs to be done.

Its SUCH a bummer to go in and do well on MC and then fail vignette because of things that are totally out of your control. I wish they would allow us to just retake the vignette :(

Best of luck!!!
cma52572

Postby jijiniuniu » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:59 am

Thank you and best of luck !!!!!!
jijiniuniu

Postby jijiniuniu » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:23 am

Just checked the result .it is a pass. I can not believe . Checked again and again. Thank you all. Now BS and BDCS left. Shall I keep trying 4.0 or transfer to 5.0? Any thoughts or suggestion ?
jijiniuniu

Postby vrcat25 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:01 am

jijiniuniu wrote:Just checked the result .it is a pass. I can not believe . Checked again and again. Thank you all. Now BS and BDCS left. Shall I keep trying 4.0 or transfer to 5.0? Any thoughts or suggestion ?

DEFINITELY, keep trying with 4.0. What do you have to lose? I transitioned right after passing PPP and it's probably the worse decision i've ever made. I wish i could go back because i'm quite sure that BS, BDCS and SS are more passable than PPD and PDD. Even the pass rates show this. Worse comes to worse and you don't pass them before the cutoff, you can take PPD and PDD any time after transitioning.
vrcat25

Postby jijiniuniu » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:25 pm

Thank you Vrcat.

I passed SD and SS many years ago, especially my SD will be expired 9/2/2018. I just passed SPD , CDS and PPP recently. Under this scenario, it might deserve to try to take BS and BDSC before 6/30/2018.
I know if I failed one of these two, I need to transit to ARE5.0 and start to take the PPD and PDD. I have two questions:

1. If I failed BS and BDCS in June, can I start to take PPD and PDD right away, or I have to wait 60 days ?
2. My SD will be expired on 9/2/2018, if I were not able to pass PPD or PDD before 9/2/2018, the expiration of my SD of ARE 4.0, will not hurt my credits of PPP, SPD and CDS to ARE 5.0, right?
That is to say, no matter my SD or SS expired or not, I still only need to take PPD and PDD before the expiration of PPP, SPD or CDS. Right?

Please advise.

Thanks
jijiniuniu

Postby Coach » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:39 pm

jijiniuniu wrote:1. If I failed BS and BDCS in June, can I start to take PPD and PDD right away, or I have to wait 60 days ?

You shouldn't have to wait.

2. My SD will be expired on 9/2/2018, if I were not able to pass PPD or PDD before 9/2/2018, the expiration of my SD of ARE 4.0, will not hurt my credits of PPP, SPD and CDS to ARE 5.0, right?
That is to say, no matter my SD or SS expired or not, I still only need to take PPD and PDD before the expiration of PPP, SPD or CDS. Right?

Correct.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby jijiniuniu » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:53 pm

Thank you Coach !
jijiniuniu

Return to PPP - PROGRAMMING, PLANNING & PRACTICE