Studying Multiple Choice Questions: UPDATE: PASSED!!

Site Zoning Vignette and Multiple Choice

Studying Multiple Choice Questions: UPDATE: PASSED!!

Postby kganglin » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:23 pm

Hello All,

I have attempted to pass PPP more times than I would like to admit. I always struggle with the multiple choice questions, but do great on the vignettes. I know that I know the material, but for some reason I always struggle with the NCARB reading comprehension. On the practice questions, i would answer the questions, then look at the answers to check myself. A lot of the questions I thought I knew the answer to, but then I read the explanation for the answer and I catch myself going "DOH! I totally knew that! How could I have missed it!" I'll then reread the question and try to understand why i got it wrong.

Any advice on how to better prepare myself for the MC questions on the exam? I am absolutely aware that NCARB does not do a good job in the wording of the questions and that PPP is commonly a hard exam to pass. I retest in 5 weeks and am giving it my all.....again.....I would like some genuine advice on strategies in learning how to answer NCARB MC questions.

Thanks,

UPDATE: I PASSED!!!!! I received my results this morning. 5th time's the charm, I guess! on this attempt, I spent the month training and rewiring my brain to read questions in a different way. The people who posted on this forum really encouraged me in the right direction. in the past PPP failed reports, the results were not consistent. One exam i did great in certain areas but badly on others. On another exam, what i did great previously, i failed and what i failed previously, i passed. This told me I knew the material but was perhaps struggling to understand what the questions are asking. I followed the Flat's How to kick ARE MC in the Butt resource. it was so helpful.

Study material, i read the same material everyone suggests to read except Gang chen's, whole enchilada. I cannot stress enough how important it is to gather as many MC sample questions you can lay your hands on. Start integrating those into your study routine from the very start. They help you retain information in a question format and to know what areas of study you need to focus on more. They expose your weaknesses.

Don't be discouraged!!! Keep at it! I was so discouraged for so long. I hadn't passed a single test in exactly a year from today (ironic)
Last edited by kganglin on Thu May 03, 2018 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kganglin

Re: Studying Multiple Choice Questions

Postby thd7t » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:23 am

Have you looked into Multiple Choice strategies at all? You definitely shouldn't answer questions first. First, look for things that are wrong, then things that aren't always right. NCARB uses the "always right" condition a lot.

The next thing I would say is to use practice questions to find your weaknesses. This can go a long way to doing better pointed studying.
thd7t

Postby sbyrktct » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:03 am

http://arehelp.webs.com/

Scroll down to the link: "Kick the ARE MC Questions in the Butt"
sbyrktct

Postby kganglin » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:16 pm

Thanks for the tips, guys! I will keep them in mind as I study for this round.
kganglin

Return to PPP - PROGRAMMING, PLANNING & PRACTICE