PASSED (6x)

Site Zoning Vignette and Multiple Choice

PASSED (6x)

Postby Anob » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:27 am

Sixth times a charm! I wanted to share my preparation process with everyone:

This time around I started with Ballast CDS practice exam. My plan was to do as many practice questions as possible and only use ballast as my main source of information.
Focused heavily on CDS material. While going through the reading material and practice questions I created my own questions. At least 5 questions that I created were on
the exam. My mindset was “what exactly is needed to develop a building from conception to design”? All the WTF questions I ever had in the past were on this exam.
After reading some posts here I decided to try creating question-oriented flashcards instead of term and definition. I bought the 1 year membership for Quizlet, which I strongly
recommend if you have bad handwriting or want to consolidate all your reading material in one location. It’s also a great source of information on what other people are studying.
Now thinking about it, sources like Quizlet and ARECoach are probably the most important sources to get a glimpse of what others are doing.

Scheduled the exam after going through all my material. Spent my remaining 2 weeks focusing on my weaknesses and testing strategy. I did not drink any alcohol or consume any greasy food.
The Friday and Saturday before the exam I wrote all of Caroline CDS notes while reading out loud and going through my flashcards. Spent Sunday morning practicing my vignette strategy,
I went to the gym and only did cardio (DO NOT WEIGHT LIFT!) and played video games and watched movies for the rest of the day. Took the exam on Monday.

Going to make the switch to 5.0 and prepare to take my last 3 all at once (PA, PPD, and PDD). See y’all on the other the side :) .

@Greek22 and everyone who is having a hard time

I think you’re almost there, just keep pushing through. During the 2 months I was preparing to take this exam I listened to multiple motivational speeches on youtube while staying late after work to study.
The one that is still in my head is Tony Robbins telling the Rocky story. I know the hardest part about these exams is developing enough motivation to pick up and try again and then try again. Just keep
telling yourself you’re already an architect and this is just the formal process. Hope this helps and good luck on your next try!!

Study Material:
Ballast Chp: 2,3,5,15,22,23,29,30,33,35,38,40,41,48-53,55,56
Programming Pena: Part 1 skimmed Part 2
AIA Documents: A101, A201, B101, skim C401 and D101 (Read over and over)
Shiff Harden Lectures (Listened over and over)
AHPP “Student Version”: 7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14
Caroline Notes CDS, and PPP
Archiflash: PPP, CDS, and Seismic
FEMA: Deigning for Earthquakes
Blackspectacles lectures and live videos (Helps you focus on key concepts)

Practice Guides:
Ballast CDS and PPP exams
Kaplan CDS and PPP chapter quizzes
Gang Chen PPP exam
DesignerHacks CDS and PPP exam
Blackspectacles CDS and PPP exams (2x)
Funkaar PPP practice exam (Useless but why not)

Vignette: Practiced all the alternate vignettes every weekend before the exam. Also purchased NALSA vignette grading which helps boost your confidence,
and posted my vignette solution in the google group. Always start with the grading. I finished in 30 minutes and checked everything in the last 30.
Anob

Re: PASSED (6x)

Postby thd7t » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:48 am

Congratulations! You must have cultivated some serious diligence and persistence. I'm glad they paid off!
thd7t

Postby hllARE » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:23 am

I just received a F. I did not expect I failed the vignette straight to level 3 in which I have confidence the most.
Regarding Vignette, what do you mean “always start from grading”? You mean start from the section first? I followed step by step from the tutorial in Vimeo, unless I misread any program instruction.
Thank you
hllARE

Postby thd7t » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:11 am

hllARE wrote:I just received a F. I did not expect I failed the vignette straight to level 3 in which I have confidence the most.
Regarding Vignette, what do you mean “always start from grading”? You mean start from the section first? I followed step by step from the tutorial in Vimeo, unless I misread any program instruction.
Thank you

The vimeo video (Brudgers?) doesn't work the way that Anob suggests. However, I agree with Anob. Draw the gradeline first, but the rest of the sections last.
thd7t

Postby hllARE » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:04 pm

Sorry, can you show a picture what gradeline? I am thinking the section cut of the ground.
hllARE

Postby Coach » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:08 pm

hllARE wrote:Sorry, can you show a picture what gradeline? I am thinking the section cut of the ground.

Yeah, that's called grade.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby greek22 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:13 pm

Anob wrote: @Greek22 and everyone who is having a hard time

I think you’re almost there, just keep pushing through. During the 2 months I was preparing to take this exam I listened to multiple motivational speeches on youtube while staying late after work to study.
The one that is still in my head is Tony Robbins telling the Rocky story. I know the hardest part about these exams is developing enough motivation to pick up and try again and then try again. Just keep
telling yourself you’re already an architect and this is just the formal process. Hope this helps and good luck on your next try!!.

Congratulations Anob!!! I'm very happy for you! I actually took my exam on Monday and haven't received my results yet but I hope and pray that I have good news as well!

I will share my process this time around when I get the results. Thank you for sharing your process and good luck with 5.0!!! :D
greek22

Return to PPP - PROGRAMMING, PLANNING & PRACTICE