Studying

Site Zoning Vignette and Multiple Choice

Studying

Postby drfmpower » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:10 am

I am attempting to take this exam again after failing it the first time. I also just failed CDS and have time in between. Any suggestions on study material to pass? I am giving myself 1 month. Study list below.

Ballast (PPP, CDS, SPD chapters)
Kaplan PPP with quizes
Ballast practice exam
Kaplan practice exam
Carolines Notes
Jenny's Notes
Schiff Hardin Lectures
drfmpower

Re: Studying

Postby thd7t » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:24 am

One month is plenty of time for PPP. You should do fine, but do not count exclusively on third party materials.

I have a few free sources that are very useful. They're all light reading, but I had questions from all of them on my exam. I believe that all of these are references that NCARB mentions in the exam guide.

Problem Seeking by William Pena is essential reading for the programming portion of the exam. It's very light reading (pages are just diagrams or bullet points most of the time), but if you read the first section, you have everything you need for programming. It's available as a pdf free online.

The HOK sustainable design manual is available free online. It's useful for the environmental issues on this exam. If you don't have any LEED accreditation, I would review this.

The Secretary of the Interior's Standards for Historical Preservation are pretty important. Just review the basics for the four types in their documentation. I believe that I had several questions on this.

Look at the Whole Building Design Guideline website for building commissioning. This is a pretty small amount of information, but it came up on my exam.

Don't use the Schiff Hardin Lectures without a copy of the contracts in front of you. There are free copies on NCARB's website. Mark them up as you listen.
thd7t

Postby drfmpower » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:58 am

Thank you for the information. However, I have a few questions. I cannot find the free version of HOK Guidebook to Sustainable Design online? Can you provide a link? As for the Secretary of the Interior's Standards for Historical Preservation, should I just review the overview for each of the 4 main points? Finally, on the WBDG website, just do an overview of all the drop down tabs at the top?

I just want to make sure I am studying what you have listed. Thanks again for the insight and material.
drfmpower

Postby thd7t » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:21 am

With the HOK guide, I took the exam over a year ago and can no longer find it. I suspect that there are a number of other free guides that you could use for this. Sorry about that one.

For the Standards for Historical Preservation, I would use the main four points as available in the sidebar, but read around the site a little, as well. However, I think the overviews covered all of the questions that I got on those.

For the WBDG, I would focus on Commissioning with this article: https://www.wbdg.org/building-commissioning

All of these are pretty broad strokes, but will give you a structure to learn about concepts that you find tricky or don't know as well.
thd7t

Postby fare75 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:05 pm

thd7t wrote:The Secretary of the Interior's Standards for Historical Preservation are pretty important. Just review the basics for the four types in their documentation. I believe that I had several questions on this.

I am going through the entire Standards & Guidelines PDF. I read the Rehabilitation guideline because it's more related to adaptive reuse...and skim the rest :roll:
fare75

Return to PPP - PROGRAMMING, PLANNING & PRACTICE