Can't seem to pass PPP: UPDATE PASSED!

Site Zoning Vignette and Multiple Choice

Can't seem to pass PPP: UPDATE PASSED!

Postby ghoren » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:38 am

UPDATE: I passed. Thoughts on what I did different at the bottom of this thread.

I am struggling to pass PPP. I just got my results and I failed on my second attempt and stepped backwards from my first attempt. First try I received a "1" on all sections but building codes and regulations. This second attempt I received a "2" on the Vignette and a "3" on building code and regulations.

I am extremely frustrated as I would like to transition to 5.0 but without PPP I cannot follow the 5-exam plan. I have passed CDS and I am currently studying for my first attempt at SPD. I have one more retake of PPP (my first try was November 2017) and I feel a lot of pressure to pass.

I used Archiflash, jennys notes, carolines notes, richs notes, kaplan, ballast.....pretty much anything that has been suggested on here that is free. Is whole enchilada worth purchasing or black spectacles? Or do I just stay the course with my materials and just try for the best.

I've always been a good test taker and never encountered any issues before the ARE's which adds to my extreme frustration. I'm sure there are many in the same boat as me, words of wisdom, advice, anything would help!
Last edited by ghoren on Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ghoren

Re: Can't seem to pass PPP

Postby thd7t » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:24 am

Have you read "Problem Seeking" by Pena? It's available free online and was the most valuable study item that I encountered. One important thing to consider is that you just need to fill in gaps, not master an area that you didn't pass.

Other than what you used, the only study item I paid for on this exam was Designer Hacks practice exams. I can definitely recommend those. They're pretty affordable and quite useful.
thd7t

Postby ghoren » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:39 pm

I am going to fully read through "Problem seeking" on the next go around and I will definitely be purchasing designer hacks for practice questions.

I will be studying for SPD first and then revisiting PPP. Thanks for the input.

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated!
ghoren

Postby gbalaka » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:57 pm

ghoren wrote:I am struggling to pass PPP. I just got my results and I failed on my second attempt and stepped backwards from my first attempt. First try I received a "1" on all sections but building codes and regulations. This second attempt I received a "2" on the Vignette and a "3" on building code and regulations.

I am extremely frustrated as I would like to transition to 5.0 but without PPP I cannot follow the 5-exam plan. I have passed CDS and I am currently studying for my first attempt at SPD. I have one more retake of PPP (my first try was November 2017) and I feel a lot of pressure to pass.

I used Archiflash, jennys notes, carolines notes, richs notes, kaplan, ballast.....pretty much anything that has been suggested on here that is free. Is whole enchilada worth purchasing or black spectacles? Or do I just stay the course with my materials and just try for the best.

I've always been a good test taker and never encountered any issues before the ARE's which adds to my extreme frustration. I'm sure there are many in the same boat as me, words of wisdom, advice, anything would help!

Watch the videos by this user on youtube to familiarize yourself with the code as that seems to be your area of weakness.

https://www.youtube.com/user/12BNKD/featured

Or look up Marty Huie on youtube. He has a playlist with 34 videos about the building code. Watch them.
gbalaka

Postby mrclx » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:55 am

I didn’t know that that the exam results for 4.0 come with grades . I don’t recall any of those when my results came. Can they be requested ?

Thanks
mrclx

Postby thd7t » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:30 pm

mrclx wrote:I didn’t know that that the exam results for 4.0 come with grades . I don’t recall any of those when my results came. Can they be requested ?

Thanks

Go into your NCARB record and go the the tab with your exams. Failed exams will show the focus areas of the exam and give each a level 1, 2 or 3. Level ones are passing. However, passing the exam is about a cumulative grade, not passing every section.
thd7t

Postby mrclx » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:23 am

Thank you, found it !
mrclx

Postby ghoren » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:32 pm

UPDATE:

A little over two months later, and I've passed PPP! Can't tell you how relieved I was when I got that exam report!

I studied all the things that I had studied before but I added the items below:

- read kaplan ppp all the way through once, did all practice quizzes and final practice exam and reviewed and made flash cards of all questions I got wrong.
- Designer hacks, did the quiz and exam basically whenever I had free time, until i basically had all questions memorized.
- studied and passed SPD
- Read ballast chapters suggested on here, all the way through
- Only used the NCARB practice vignette, as they are always pretty similar and I found the extra practice vignettes to wayyy over complicate the vignette portion. Timed myself for both writing my outline and drawing the actual vignette so I knew how much time I would have to double,triple,quadruple etc my work (which i did for about 25 mins on the exam, obsessively)
- From intial post: I used Archiflash, jennys notes, carolines notes, richs notes, kaplan, ballast.....pretty much anything that has been suggested on here that is free.

Thank you for all sharing your thoughts on this forum, its so helpful and nice to know others are out here struggling right there with me. And to anyone still working towards passing this exam, good luck, you got this!
ghoren

Re: Can't seem to pass PPP: UPDATE PASSED!

Postby Yakety_Yak » Wed May 16, 2018 4:10 pm

Congrats on the Pass!

Can you tell me where the program would be for the Site Zoning alternate vignettes please?

Yak
Yakety_Yak

Postby archtech08 » Wed May 16, 2018 9:15 pm

Did you read "Problem Seeking" by Pena (as recommended above) and was it helpful?

I'm attempting PPP for the third (and final) time, I recently passed SPD and passed CDS five months ago so I'm feeling the same pressure to pass before 4.0 expires. Any advice is greatly appreciated and congrats!!
archtech08

Postby thd7t » Thu May 17, 2018 5:31 am

archtech08 wrote:Did you read "Problem Seeking" by Pena (as recommended above) and was it helpful?

I'm attempting PPP for the third (and final) time, I recently passed SPD and passed CDS five months ago so I'm feeling the same pressure to pass before 4.0 expires. Any advice is greatly appreciated and congrats!!

Not OP, but definitely read the first half of Pena. It's available free online and it is incredibly light reading (lots of graphics and diagrams). It is also heavily referenced on the exam.
thd7t

Return to PPP - PROGRAMMING, PLANNING & PRACTICE