Took PPP - 5 minute warning on vignette???

Site Zoning Vignette and Multiple Choice

Took PPP - 5 minute warning on vignette???

Postby Raja » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:00 am

On my PPP exam there were a LOT of CD and SPD (haven't taken that one yet) questions. I found this one to be much more difficult than CDs (which I failed 1st time due to vignette, passed 2nd shot after practicing vignette a bunch of times). Post-exam, I think Caroline's notes were the most useful for me for this test since her notes seem to cover CD, PPP and SPD to some degree. Also definitely know your contracts, I had a ton of questions on consultant contracts, which never came up on CDs.

A lot of questions at the beginning were fairly short but the last portion of the test was loaded with graphics-heavy, calculation-heavy, and complicated questions. I only gave myself a 10 minute time contingency for reviewing marked questions and barely finished in time, 1.5 minutes left at the end to review. I reviewed the first few marked questions but didn't make it to the ones I had wanted to change my answer.

The vignette was structured the same way as the practice one, though there were a few unexpected things, like what grade elevation the grid starts at for the section, and different types of setbacks. I felt that I passed this vignette easily but who knows since it's easy to miss one tiny thing that makes it a fatal error.

HOWEVER, I finished vignette with about 10 minutes to spare and started re-checking my solution but when the 5-minute warning came up and I clicked on it, it brought me back to the main vignette screen, not the work screen. This hasn't happened before and I didn't know if the program was making me start over or what. I raised my hand for help, the proctors didn't see me, after waving for a bit, I went out to ask for help. The person came and looked at it and said this happened sometimes, just let the time run out or click to go back to the "pick a vignette" screen. By that time I lost my other 5 minutes of checking time :-( Not sure if this is a software malfunction or if sometimes this is how it works on the vignettes. Did my solution get erased? Has anyone else had this experience??

Very curious to get my results.
Raja

Re: Took PPP - 5 minute warning on vignette???

Postby sbyrktct » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:39 pm

Doubtful that your solution was erased.
Would be worth contacting NCARB though.
sbyrktct

Postby raaz227 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:26 pm

This has happened to me a few times. You have to go back and select the vignette. Everything should still be there. I wouldnt worry about it.
raaz227

Postby Raja » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:49 pm

raaz227 wrote:This has happened to me a few times. You have to go back and select the vignette. Everything should still be there. I wouldnt worry about it.

Thank you @raaz227, that is good to know!! Got the news this morning I passed so I guess those lost few minutes didn't matter. Whew. On to the next square in the game...
Raja

Postby Raja » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:52 pm

sbyrktct wrote:Doubtful that your solution was erased.
Would be worth contacting NCARB though.

Thanks @sbyrkct! Been appreciative of your helpful comments on this forum. I did talk to NCARB and they said that everything is saved as you go, so none of my work would have been erased. I still wonder if one accidentally hits the restart button what happens to the work already done... At any rate it turns out I passed so no more worries on this one.
Raja

Return to PPP - PROGRAMMING, PLANNING & PRACTICE