List of most common PPP Vignette mistakes

Site Zoning Vignette and Multiple Choice

List of most common PPP Vignette mistakes

Postby SDTK » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:26 am

I searched the forum to see if there was a compiled list of common errors people make on the Site Zoning vignette, but did not find anything. Apologies if I missed something already published here.
I recently failed the vignette, but passed all MC's level 1. Feeling a bit frustrated and confused, I am eager to re-test, and make sure I am not overlooking any detail or curve ball in the vignette.
Again, apologies if this has already been done in a single thread, but I think it would be a great if anyone with passing or failing experience could share their opinions on what are the most common errors/oversights made, and have that list in a single thread, opposed to scattered throughout several threads.

Here are some common errors I can think of to start...

1) Drawing an area or envelope line 1-click into a setback, rather than 1 click out of a setback. This is a tolerance issue, usually due to the program itself, rather than a candidates ignorance on the architectural concept.
2) A separate bench mark elevation for each of the 2 properties. I have heard of this, has anyone experienced this?
3) Missing the Contour lines that touch the section line

Anyone experience any other curve balls or common oversights... beyond the obvious of misreading a restriction figure, etc...

Edit: Something interesting about my vignette was that the open space easement was a straight line (So I did not have to draw a ton of offset circles, like if it were a curved line), and there was no easement between the properties, so my side yard setback was the only restriction in play there.
SDTK

Re: List of most common PPP Vignette mistakes

Postby JORDANARE » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:21 pm

I've always found that in terms of structure with all of the vignettes including alts, you can break them up into three areas aside from the grade:

1.) You have your basic surface are and building requirements: three in every one i've seen, two in only one.

2.)You have your building setbacks: always four sides

3.)You have your building envelope: Always four requirements, with one being the angle.

It does seem strange that you would have only had 1-2 requirements for step #1, In any vignette I have ever practiced with, there is A major setback, a lake, highway, utility, trees, river, rocks.

then there is a requirement for surface improvements, and then a third factor some additional area that has stipulations.
JORDANARE

Postby SDTK » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:16 pm

edited...
Last edited by SDTK on Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SDTK

Postby JORDANARE » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:46 pm

Without knowing the actual scenario of the vignette, it's difficult to tell. As a matter of personal opinion, I honestly don't care about NCARB's Proprietary rules. They are simply gatekeepers to an end goal that many people sacrifice significant time to attain, more than many other professions that are far more forgiving both financially, and in terms of time. At the end of the day they offer a test that does have some subjectivity, and that they don't have to defend. If a huge percentage of people find the same vignette to be problematic. I would hope that NCARB would somehow be held to a standard to correct this and other errors with the exam before administering that same exam to other candidates.

That said, I do think that your post gives a lot of additional information, and may be considered a violation, and we do sign a waiver or whatever saying we won't give away that information, so unfair or not. It's probably in your best interest not to do it if you want to avoid future problems.
JORDANARE

Postby SDTK » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:22 pm

Yea, not to sound like I'm complaining or whining, but I have been curious lately how the ARE compares to the BAR for attorneys, or medical board exams for MDs, in terms of the relevance or validity of the testing content to the associated professional practice.
SDTK

Postby JORDANARE » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:31 pm

While agree with you on some points, it's important to remain positive. Believe me I'm not one of those people who studies for a week or two for each exam and breezes through. In moving forward, if you haven't done it-it's important to practice other vignettes. One thing that is kind of annoying is when someone practices the NCARB vignette less than a hand full of times, and is utterly shocked that they didn't pass the vignette section. I find it kind of insulting to people who do actually do Put the time in to understand this aspect of the exam, the vignette in my few experiences is tricky, but if you've practiced the Alts, you will see the worst case.

Again, this isn't an attack on you, I believe NCARB has a system that needs improved, I just think it hurts the validity of he argument, if you did do all these things than never mind that comment.
JORDANARE

Return to PPP - PROGRAMMING, PLANNING & PRACTICE