PPP 1st try - Level 1 on all MC, Level 3 Vignette, shocked

Site Zoning Vignette and Multiple Choice

PPP 1st try - Level 1 on all MC, Level 3 Vignette, shocked

Postby SDTK » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:08 pm

From what I've read on this forum, this is not too uncommon. But maybe that is just my confirmation bias in the keyword search...
I have no idea what could have been my fatal error on the site zoning vignette. Like so many others, it felt straightforward, I had plenty of time to double check everything and I left feeling much more concerned about the MC, but certain I passed the vignette. Pretty painful to feel fully competent in building envelope analysis/design, but have this vignette program, for whatever reason, disagree.

I imagine this is why there are no vignettes in 5.0, but it would be nice if NCARB also changed their policy about reviewing/challenging vignette results in 4.0, while it is still offered, since they obviously know it is problematic in testing candidates abilities.
SDTK

Re: PPP 1st try - Level 1 on all MC, Level 3 Vignette, shock

Postby kerzzo » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:56 am

sorry to hear this...I passed this one on my third try...not an easy test so you're not alone, I am on 5,0 now, but let me tell you, 5.0 makes you miss the vignettes---it is more absurd than ever . I switched because ti was supposed to really test actual practice, but it does not...(my humble opinion). cheer up and practice all cases possible on the vignettes! practicing only the NCARB practice program is not enough....

I passed the 4.0s exams using NALSA--which really "demystified" things for me...but I know I disliked the vignettes so much...
kerzzo

Postby dbayrami » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:37 am

kerzzo wrote:sorry to hear this...I passed this one on my third try...not an easy test so you're not alone, I am on 5,0 now, but let me tell you, 5.0 makes you miss the vignettes---it is more absurd than ever . I switched because ti was supposed to really test actual practice, but it does not...(my humble opinion). cheer up and practice all cases possible on the vignettes! practicing only the NCARB practice program is not enough....

I passed the 4.0s exams using NALSA--which really "demystified" things for me...but I know I disliked the vignettes so much...

I don't know much about 5.0, and tbh I'm pretty scared of it. What makes it more absurd? I can't imagine such a thing. You're doing the 5 test plan?
dbayrami

Postby SDTK » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:38 am

Thanks Kerzzo,
Now 1 day after receiving my failed vignette result I am still equally frustrated since I cannot for the life of me think of what my fatal error could have been. The reality is, I must have done something incorrect, as implausible as that seems to me right now.

Did you fail the vignette on your first 2 attempts, and pass on your 3rd? What was your error that was eventually corrected, if you have any idea?

Since I felt so confident in my vignette, and still have no idea why I fatally failed, I am not sure what to correct for the next attempt. That is the most frustrating part. I'm worried that whatever mistake I unknowingly made on this first attempt, I will just make again.

Another question I have is... Is there a correct or incorrect way to finish the vignette/test? After I completed mine, I had so much time to re-evaluate it, and I eventually just exited the vignette section to complete my testing. This is what I did when I passed CDS as well.

I wish there was a more clear response from the system that they "successfully received (my) vignette attempt"... Instead, there is just a couple of "are you sure you are ready to exit the vignette" prompts, to which I answered "yes" since I was complete. I am wondering if it is safer for me to just let the clock run out of time with the vignette drawing screen visible. I know this is likely a question without an answer. Thoughts anyone? Thank you.
SDTK

Postby kerzzo » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:15 am

I don't know much about 5.0, and tbh I'm pretty scared of it. What makes it more absurd? I can't imagine such a thing. You're doing the 5 test plan?[/quote]

yes I took the 4.0+5.0 path... everyone is having trouble with the drag and place and hot spots on 5.0
kerzzo

Postby kerzzo » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:20 am

SDTK wrote:Thanks Kerzzo,
Now 1 day after receiving my failed vignette result I am still equally frustrated since I cannot for the life of me think of what my fatal error could have been. The reality is, I must have done something incorrect, as implausible as that seems to me right now.

Did you fail the vignette on your first 2 attempts, and pass on your 3rd? What was your error that was eventually corrected, if you have any idea?

Since I felt so confident in my vignette, and still have no idea why I fatally failed, I am not sure what to correct for the next attempt. That is the most frustrating part. I'm worried that whatever mistake I unknowingly made on this first attempt, I will just make again.

Another question I have is... Is there a correct or incorrect way to finish the vignette/test? After I completed mine, I had so much time to re-evaluate it, and I eventually just exited the vignette section to complete my testing. This is what I did when I passed CDS as well.

I wish there was a more clear response from the system that they "successfully received (my) vignette attempt"... Instead, there is just a couple of "are you sure you are ready to exit the vignette" prompts, to which I answered "yes" since I was complete. I am wondering if it is safer for me to just let the clock run out of time with the vignette drawing screen visible. I know this is likely a question without an answer. Thoughts anyone? Thank you.

Hi,
actually I only failed the vignette the first time, and passed on both the second and third time---by that time a long time passed by between the failed and the pass exams.

I used this video tutorial

https://vimeo.com/50457422

and I think everyone has used this one:

http://www.brudgers.com/arefaq/arefaq-p ... yguide.pdf

the above and all the practices from Nalsa pencil and paper practices helped a lot to basically master that vignette. Where Brudgers is right is that you have to nail the 4 problems addressed in the vignette, plain and simple. practice the software and become fast at drawing and erasing/sketching things out....time yourself exactly one hour drawing tthe entire requirement out.
kerzzo

Postby JORDANARE » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:03 pm

I took PPP on the 17th, Got my score on Thursday but still haven't checked it. I try to look at the ARE from a completely objective perspective, but because I put so much into this one, I want to have a game plan for either result before approaching it, and I'm moving this weekend, so it just makes sense to deal with this next week.

Anyways your comment about the vignette really struck a cord with me. I've mentioned this a few times, but on my first take of PPP I passed multiple choice, and accidentally exited myself out when the screen turned blank before starting the vignette (I never actually saw the vignette this time). I probably got some very subtle warning, but it happened quickly and it's not like we have a camera or anything to prove our case inside pro metrics testing center.

I argued with NCARB incessantly, mostly because this counted as one of my tests for the year, but the money lost also was an issue. Even if i did exit out, you shouldn't be able to do that without drawing anything. Regardless of my result, the software on the exam in my opinion is actually offensive to candidates. People have different issues with it all the time. NCARB should be held accountable if you truly believe your vignette passed, and that means you and anyone else should call them multiple times, just like I did. They actually did call back to say they had a meeting about what I was calling about and would implement my suggestions in the future.

That said, before calling them I would take even another moment to internally review your solution, because if you haven't done several alternates, it is totally possible to have missed something stupid. When I would practice the alternates, I was sure I was right, only to find out I missed something when reviewing.

Think direction of angle, section, setbacks, easements, rise of angle (remember if you're going westward, 45 degrees is actually 135). I'm not saying you didn't consider all of this, but I am saying that I've seen the vignette twice now on this exam, and it's never been nearly as difficult as the ballast or dorf examples, but who knows maybe i'll report back with a shocking fail of my own.
JORDANARE

Return to PPP - PROGRAMMING, PLANNING & PRACTICE