PPP EXAM MONDAY + VIGNETTE QUESTION

Site Zoning Vignette and Multiple Choice

PPP EXAM MONDAY + VIGNETTE QUESTION

Postby JORDANARE » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:34 pm

Hi All - wondering if anyone has some last suggestions for exam preparation. I've been studying very hard for this one, and I have so much information I am bit worried i'll overthink it-- And PPP F's with people like that.

Also, Has anyone who has completed all of the Alts seen any really big tricks on the vignette to be aware of? I passed the vignette last time, but I have been getting tripped up on some of the alts on my second round of practice, and worried that I just had a simple vignette. For instance, I notice that in Kaplan the front yard setback is actually on the side while in the NCARB vignette, they call out that the front yard setback is in fact in the front. This would seem flat out wrong if NCARB did something like this.

I need to sleep.
JORDANARE

Re: PPP EXAM MONDAY + VIGNETTE QUESTION

Postby Anob » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:17 pm

I have seen vignettes very similar to the dorf alts. Practice all the alts!!! Trust me.
Anob

Postby JORDANARE » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:07 pm

Thanks a lot! I took a look at this one, definitely more challenging than NCARBS standard 4.0 sample.
JORDANARE

Postby JORDANARE » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:02 am

I thought I'd continue on here rather than start a new thread- Anyways I took the exam Monday. I would be surprised if I passed, as I've done what many people do and re-reviewed the questions, and realize a number I got wrong.

I've seen PPP three times now, the first time likely would have been a pass after passing the multiple choice, but my screen turned to white and I accidentally exited out. Second time I passed vignette, but not multiple choice. I made the decision to study so hard for the third that If I didn't pass, I would not want to take the exam for at least 6 months. This is my study regiment over six weeks (no Joke).

Oscar Newman - Defensible space (first half)
Secretary of Interior Standards (Would read sections as they tied in with study material (I.e Structures with historic structures, CDS with accessibility etc.)
Graphic Standards (skimmed inclusive design).
AHPP (skimmed a first 200 pages, read one review of first 30 pages on project management).
Paul Segal (read once, skimmed certain areas).
William Pena Programming (read 2/3 over the course of the study schedule).
IBC-Building Code Basics (read thoroughly a few times, skimmed twice).
10 days studying structures (videos, a little reading, one thorough Ballast exam and review plus studying as much seismic as possible).
10 Days Building Systems (same as above)
10 Days (BDCS same as above)
10 days Site planning (Both Ballast Exams, plus very quick read of Russ Site Planning book from cover to cover + articles I could find on Zoning regulations).
7 Days (CDS- Same as above, plus Schiff Hardin, Plus A201 A101 C401 B101, read them all thoroughly at least once, some twice).

7 days PPP (Carolines notes, thorough once, skimmed once, Ballast Thorough test- scored 80%, thorough review of all practice questions).
Designer Hacks exam @ 93%

Used A site called Anki and made about 700 online flash cards for the last two weeks of my study sessions. This is a good site to quickly remind you of information so you don't lose what you studied weeks ago.

5/6 Alt Vignettes.

*Other study material not included, just main points.

This was my life over about six weeks, and i'm ok with admitting it.

I just prefer to do things in a complete way and know I gave my best. At this point, I haven't seen anyone mention drawing from this many sources so i'll dive into pros and cons (if you're anything like me).

Pros: There were about five questions that my vast reading prepared me for. I would say two of them would be considered actual WTF questions by most ppl, but I was able to put them together from these sources. You may have a tough exam, but you will get through the exam faster than ever because for the most part there will be nothing that just makes "0 sense".

Cons: You will miss a few questions from actually knowing the information too well. Even having a thorough grasp on things is not enough to not miss a few stupid questions on a time crunch and a few of the other 10-15 that are just way too close to call, but you will also miss a few you would have gotten just using common sense because you're trying to draw from many sources. You will also begin to notice conflicting information in the various study guides, and that will make things more confusing.

Despite my disdain for NCARB, this test probably isn't so unfair. What's unfair is that NCARB posts a study guide that isn't even close to the level of difficulty of the real questions, and that they (in my opinion) don't do nearly enough to stress the importance of understanding regulations from various organizations (FEMA, NEHRAP, EPA) These are all absolutely critical. However, The questions they ask are (generally speaking) important for an actual architect to have some reasonable knowledge of, and I'd love to complain about it, but you should be able to answer basic questions about zoning and site remediation. For people who miss the vignette, I am genuinely curious as to whether or not they posted their solutions, and have completed the alts. If I failed the vignette, I would be very surprised but that's because I've had my vignette reviewed, passed on another PPP exam, and have seen all the obscure, crazier tricks from the alts.

If I were to do it all again, I would allow more time for taking in PPP material probably 10-14 days at the end, I would have read some more from FEMA and EPA website at the end, but that's it.

I feel confident that I did everything I could and at the end of the day, this test is just really challenging for some people without experience in a broad range of activities, and project management. One skill I might recommend is to read on taking tests. Some of the tools necessary to being good at this exam don't have to do with knowledge, but with your ability to quickly discern between sets of information. That is a seperate skill entirely and can be worked on.

As a side not i've passed CDS and SPD so wasn't going in blind.

Hope this helps and someone studying or considering various methods of studying.
JORDANARE

Postby kerzzo » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:32 pm

I hope it went well...it seems you have studied quite a lot..and it should pay off.
kerzzo

Postby JORDANARE » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:24 am

I passed this exam. You can see what my study materials are above, also if anyone has some other specific questions about those materials, I'll answer them.
JORDANARE

Postby kerzzo » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:37 am

Jordanare...excellent! congrats---
kerzzo

Postby greek22 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:26 am

Congratulations JORDANARE!!
Thank you for sharing your extensive list of study materials and your process. I will be taking this exam again in November after many failed attempts at the MC. All in all, do you think studying for structures and building systems etc. had truly helped you pass this exam? Do you think that's what I'm lacking? I feel like with my list of brain dump questions, I had very few questions on structures and building systems (a handful at most).

What do you think was your most valuable source for passing this exam? Any other tips would be greatly appreciated! Thank you and congrats again!!
greek22

Postby JORDANARE » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:55 pm

Hi and thank you both!

@Greek22,

I am happy to answer your questions. I studied relentlessly for about six weeks. Probably an average of 3-4 hours/day on weekdays even (with 9 hr/day work). I would say including weekends we were looking @ 30 hours/week, and probably 40 a week or two before exam.

Everyone is different, so study schedule will be too.

but if you fall under the category of "overthinker, limited experience, needs to see the whole picture"

Here are some suggestions from three cracks at this:

Yes read, SS, BS, BDCS chapters. I maybe had two questions at most on this material, but that's not why. Read it because with little bits of knowledge from these areas, you can reason through to the answer more easily, in some cases it will also help you eliminate a wrong answer.

Next, be able to actually explain how zoning, and building code differ in the early stages understand the difference between the roles of planning and the building department thoroughly. Be at the level where you can have a conversational with a much more experienced architect about them.

Know what happens in which stage of design-- This will be critical.

Understand the fine distinctions in project delivery. Do not search further than AHPP, get your hands on this and read the chapters and understand them well. It's not a ton.
Read in conjunction with Paul Segal, I believe this is 13 Dollars.

Do read contracts within a few days before. Read them slowly understand them (b101, a201, A101, C401). On every exam I believe I have had at the least 5/85 questions on contracts, and i'd guess more.

Lastly, The single most important piece of advice that i've haven't really seen mentioned - Sometimes there are no formally right answers on this exam. There are just least wrong answers, and sometimes "most right answers". I remember questions where the answer I picked was not conventionally correct, but it was the closest to correct compared to anything else. This is how the test gets you in your head. It makes you think you're missing something. Trust your instinct.

Vignette was easy enough, but make sure to do Ballast and Dorf. It will prepare you for curveballs.
JORDANARE

Postby greek22 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:00 am

Thanks JORDANARE for taking the time to write your process. In terms of our study patterns, we are pretty much identical. I allot 6 or 7 weeks typically and about the same amount of hours during the week and on the weekends.

I started looking at BS and BDCS in SPD and it helped me pass so further looking into the other 3 exams could only benefit me. PPP is so broad that its very easy to get lost in the study material. I don't think my issue is with the material at hand but the way questions are worded and like you mentioned, the fact that "there are no formally right answers on this exam". I think what you said about being able to have a conversation about what you learned is vital. I study with my two friends from school at least once a week when we are studying for the same exam and being able to have an open conversation about topics we dont understand is definitely helpful.

I skimeed AHPP but perhaps this time I will look at it in more depth and I have yet to read Paul Segal so I will also be doing that this time around. Thanks again for your help! BTW, are you transitioning or are you sticking to 4.0? Sorry if you mentioned this already in another post!
greek22

Postby JORDANARE » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:19 pm

Real quick-- Definitely get Paul Segal. Read it slow and understand it. The reason is that he talks about practice in a more conversational tone. PPP expects you to understand practice and management at that level. If you've noticed some other posts, you'll see that people who have struggled found this book helpful.
JORDANARE

Postby greek22 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:28 pm

JORDANARE wrote:Real quick-- Definitely get Paul Segal. Read it slow and understand it. The reason is that he talks about practice in a more conversational tone. PPP expects you to understand practice and management at that level. If you've noticed some other posts, you'll see that people who have struggled found this book helpful.

Will do; just ordered it. This came up a few times by a bunch of people. Hopefully its the missing piece to the puzzle! Thank you!
greek22

Return to PPP - PROGRAMMING, PLANNING & PRACTICE