Vignette 80'

Site Zoning Vignette and Multiple Choice

Vignette 80'

Postby kchng » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:31 am

Hi everyone,

The vignette, like for all of us test-takers, is confusing.

My version of the Vignette says that there is an 80' limit at benchmark (not elevation, not grade, just benchmark). I know my screenshot looks different from everyone elses, but it seems that the 80' allowance is whats throwing my attempt off. I just wanted to know what your thoughts were with my version of the section.

I also realize that I have built the buildable area within the easement :oops: I'll pay more attention to that on the real test.

Please let me know what you think.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kchng

Re: Vignette 80'

Postby Anob » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:52 am

Can you please post the vignette problem. Never saw this one
Anob

Postby thd7t » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:03 am

You are misunderstanding the 80' above benchmark instruction. None of your building should be taller that 80' above the benchmark elevation (185'). You need to strike a sketch line there and not go above it.
thd7t

Postby kchng » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:56 am

thd7t,

Thanks for the reply. So whats your take on the "benchmark" question? Is "benchmark" basically the "limit" of what can be built (185')?

I'm probably overthinking the definition, but English seems like a second language to me. The question seems poorly written, since it's using "benchmark" as "limit", and not the traditional definition of "a standard or point of reference against which things may be compared or assessed". Unless of course, I missed a previous explanation stating the definition as "limit" in the study notes, book, or the vignette.

Sorry I can't repost the question word-for-word - at work now. Regardless, thanks for the help.
kchng

Postby Coach » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:08 pm

kchng wrote:The question seems poorly written

Nope.

since it's using "benchmark" as "limit"

It's not.

and not the traditional definition of "a standard or point of reference against which things may be compared or assessed".

That's exactly what the problem states.

Unless of course, I missed a previous explanation stating the definition as "limit" in the study notes, book, or the vignette.

"Maximum building height limit shall be 80 ft above the benchmark elevation."

Coach
Site Admin

Postby kchng » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:23 pm

Coach,

You've clarified my previous confusion, thank you.

Now I'm wondering what benchmark elevation is referring to. So benchmark elevation is the grade?

Thanks in advance.
kchng

Postby Coach » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:38 pm

kchng wrote:Coach,

You've clarified my previous confusion, thank you.

Now I'm wondering what benchmark elevation is referring to. So benchmark elevation is the grade?

Thanks in advance.

The benchmark IS an elevation. It's marked and noted on the plan.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby kchng » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:40 am

The benchmark IS an elevation. It's marked and noted on the plan.[/quote]

You're right Coach.... thanks. I only noticed this after running the vignette one more time.

Just for fun - my new vignette practice. I'm pretty sure I have this right. Here's hoping the actual test is the same!

Thanks for the help everyone!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kchng

Postby kerzzo » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:16 pm

I think you have to make sure your lines are projected down from the plan on top the section exactly where your cut line runs through. if you look at your west portion, you're not showing where the line cuts--it appears to be a common mistake.

I can tell you i took this test three times and on my two fails I passed the vignette and obviously on the pass.i sort of became an expert on this specifically and think this is one of the easiest vignette(of course, my only other one was CDS) and then I transition to 5.0.

use the sketch lines as they dont get counted on the evaluation.
kerzzo

Return to PPP - PROGRAMMING, PLANNING & PRACTICE