Pass - 1st Attempt

Site Zoning Vignette and Multiple Choice

Pass - 1st Attempt

Postby ntorres » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:45 am

Hi everyone,

It's been quite a while since I've been on here, my last exam was almost 2 years ago for CDS. With the clock ticking, and all the talk of 5.0 and transitioning, I decided to get back in gear. At first I wasn't going to take PPP, but the transition calculator convinced me otherwise. I gave myself about five weeks to study, got my pass notice last thursday, took it the week before that. Here's what I studied:

-Ballast
-Kaplan (& additional mock exam)
-NCARB PPP 4.0 Sample Questions (timed proportionately to number of questions)
-NCARB PD 3.1 Sample Questions (timed)
-Jenny's Notes
-Caroline's Notes (briefly, got them a little late in the game)
-Archiflash cards
-NCARB practice vignette (timed)
-Dorf Solutions
-skimmed Sec. of Interior/National Parks

I was confident on the vignette but was unsure about the MC, since there were definitely some WTF items. On the vignette I probably didn't make it easy for myself because sketch lines were everywhere, I wish I had made the grade line first and cleared them out. I used most of the screen to get the exact angle. The building profile couldn't always snap exactly but made sure I was a click below without going over when that was the case. On the MC I made sure to mark plenty, or answer then mark to give ample time to go back and see. I don't see a downside to using all your available time. I also found using the strike through tool was very helpful for eliminating answers.

I read many of the posts on this, and I definitely can't explain why this division varies from person to person, I probably got REALLY lucky. On to SPD next to try and get the big 3 out of the way before I make a choice on transitioning or powering through 4.0 within a year.

Best of luck to all of you, it seems like that's a huge part of this. Try not to get down on yourselves, your education, or what have you because of this seemingly random exam. We're all capable professionals and good at what we do. I'll try and help in any way I can, since it's hard for me to get on here with a toddler and puppy vying for all my attention.
ntorres

Re: Pass - 1st Attempt

Postby dd09 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:05 pm

Congrats!

Which of those materials would you say were the most helpful? I'm taking mine on Saturday and want to review some material efficiently.

Thanks!
dd09

Postby ntorres » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:26 pm

If you're pressed for time until your test on Saturday, go over all the mock exams you can, Jenny's notes, archiflash. I found Caroline's section on styles and history helpful in a pinch since that guide is heavy. I'm guessing you've read all the other stuff by now and have had enough anyway. And the vignette, I assume you've practiced at least once and are familiar with the program. I didn't stress the vignette too much since I thought I will get it right or I won't, but just keep on your toes for different kinds of zoning curve balls they might throw at you.

And cross your fingers you get a decent set of questions.

Good Luck!
ntorres

Postby aree2015 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:09 pm

For the vignette, was the secondary construction area and building area at the curved setback exactly overlapping each other. I can't snap both of them at the same points in the vignette.
aree2015

Postby ntorres » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:27 am

There was an overlap but I didn't have a curved condition. I don't recall if I had trouble overlapping them. I suppose if you did a good job approximating your setback with circles but you can't exactly match the points, as long as you don't go over the setback with either the building or secondary construction areas you shouldn't be dinged for that to the point of failing. It would make sense that NCARB would care more about not violating the setbacks as opposed to the areas perfectly overlapping each other at the setback, but you can't always expect sense with these exams. Getting the maximum building area is important, but if it's a click under at points I think you would be ok. I know I wasn't happy with some of the point fittings on my site section at the solar angle but made sure to get as close as I could while staying below and it worked out.
ntorres

Return to PPP - PROGRAMMING, PLANNING & PRACTICE