Aced MC but Failed Vignette for 4th time. What can I do?

Site Zoning Vignette and Multiple Choice

Aced MC but Failed Vignette for 4th time. What can I do?

Postby drummer03 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:13 am

Hello,
I am having a very difficult and frustrating time trying to pass the Site Zoning Vignette for PPP. I have pas SPD and CDS and this is the only Exam that I need to even think about moving over to 5.0. I found Friday that I have FAILED this Exam for the Fourth Time and it was because once AGAIN I got a "3" on the Vignette in my Score Report.
I have tried many things:
-Practice NCARB vignette
-Posted NCARB Vignette Solution in this Site
-Watch Video on this vignette
-Bought NALSA alternative Vignette
-Uploaded that NALSA Solution in their website for them to review (They did not find anything wrong and it was a PASS)
-Studied Dorf's (im not sure if that how you spell it) Vignette samples and I understood it
-Watch NCARB Vignette Video (just in case I was missing something)
Everytime I have walked out of the testing center I felt overly confident that I have finally passed this Vignette. I have failed 3 different site zoning vignette four times! (I think the first time and 3rd time were the same)
I have aced the MC portion getting "1" in all the content areas. I truly do not know what else to do. it is very frustrating to know that I keep doing something that is Fatal (because of the 3s) and not knowing what it is! Im not blaming the NCARB but myself because there is obviously something different from all the practive ones I have done and the ones in the EXAM. The ones I have practice are actually more difficult that the ones Ive see on the exam. I typically finish with 30 miniutes left and I spend checking and rechecking anything to make sure I didn't miss or didn't read something.
Now I have to wait another two months. since I have SD, CDS and SPD passed someone at work suggested I continue in 4.0 and give PPP a rest.
I do not what else to do. if anyone will like to offer some advise or strategy I will welcome it.
Thanks
drummer03

Re: Aced MC but Failed Vignette for 4th time. What can I do?

Postby thd7t » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:50 am

First, I don't think that you should rule out 5.0 if the vignette is giving you such a hard time. Have an open mind about it.

Second, I found that having a system for the PPP Vignette was very helpful in passing this exam. Here's a list I made back in December. It's not comprehensive, but it was how I dealt with the vignette successfully. However, they might not let you make notes during the break any more. If this is the case, make your notes during the 5 minutes of "Instruction time". These vignettes always have a few elements in common, so have those ready.

1. Take notes during the break at your desk. Write down everything you know will be on the vignette, i.e. lot a, lot b, front setback, side setback, etc. Put two check boxes next to each. Leave space to add more info. Then, you'll use less time on notes and give yourself a way to check the work more quickly.
2. Draw gradeline first. You'll be less distracted by you other sketch lines and you can clean up afterward.
3. Do whichever lot seems easier first. For the 4.0 vignette, this is lot B. This helps you get a rhythm and work out kinks while moving fast.
4. Do building profiles last.
5. Check work using the checklist you made during break.

You can do this vignette!
thd7t

Postby SDTK » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:53 pm

thd7t wrote:For the 4.0 vignette, this is lot B.

Huh? This implies there's a vignette in 5.0.
SDTK

Postby thd7t » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:46 am

SDTK wrote:
thd7t wrote:For the 4.0 vignette, this is lot B.

Huh? This implies there's a vignette in 5.0.

Well, it implies that there are older vignettes, but I meant for the 4.0 guide vignette. Sorry for the confusion.
thd7t

Postby aree2015 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:27 pm

I am taking PPP in less than 2 weeks, and when I do the vignette, I can't snap to the same points for the secondary and building area at the curved setback. Are you drawing the profile at section line and less than the angle restrictions. The vignette does not snap exactly at the angled line. So zoom and Check. This is all I can think of, all the best and keep trying don't give up.
aree2015

Postby jijiniuniu » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:58 pm

What did you study to pass MC ?
jijiniuniu

Postby greek22 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:16 am

I'm having difficulty passing this exam also but for the complete opposite reason! I can't pass the MC but have no difficulty with the vignette. I'm one exam away from transitioning to 5.0. I had passed CDS and SPD but I have many failed attempts at this exam. What is your process for the MC? What study material are you using?

Have you tried using Brudger's study guide? Some people swear by it. I briefly looked at it but did not use it for any of my attempts at PPP. See the pdf below; it may be beneficial for you.
http://www.brudgers.com/arefaq/arefaq-p ... yguide.pdf

Personally, for the PPP vignette I have used this video: https://vimeo.com/50457422

The wording on the vignette can sometimes be very tricky and this exam is famous for having a "curve ball". Make sure you read the program very carefully and write everything down before you even start the exam. I followed the same exact steps as noted in the vimeo video. Hope that helps! How much time do you have left in your rolling clock? I think that will depict whether or not you should move to 5.0 before or after passing PPP.
greek22

Postby drummer03 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:41 am

jijiniuniu wrote:What did you study to pass MC ?

I studied Ballast, Kaplan, Jenny's Notes and Carolines' study guide. I also took their practice exams as well as watching YouTube videos on some of the topics. The way I do it which my be tedious to some is that as I read I write things downs instead of highlighting the info. This works for me because it helps me remember what I am writing. works for me
drummer03

Postby drummer03 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:48 am

greek22 wrote:I'm having difficulty passing this exam also but for the complete opposite reason! I can't pass the MC but have no difficulty with the vignette. I'm one exam away from transitioning to 5.0. I had passed CDS and SPD but I have many failed attempts at this exam. What is your process for the MC? What study material are you using?

Have you tried using Brudger's study guide? Some people swear by it. I briefly looked at it but did not use it for any of my attempts at PPP. See the pdf below; it may be beneficial for you.
http://www.brudgers.com/arefaq/arefaq-p ... yguide.pdf

Personally, for the PPP vignette I have used this video: https://vimeo.com/50457422

The wording on the vignette can sometimes be very tricky and this exam is famous for having a "curve ball". Make sure you read the program very carefully and write everything down before you even start the exam. I followed the same exact steps as noted in the vimeo video. Hope that helps! How much time do you have left in your rolling clock? I think that will depict whether or not you should move to 5.0 before or after passing PPP.

Thank you for the input. I have watched that video in your link. I Think I figured out what I have been doing wrong. If that turns out to be what has been causing me to get "3"s In this vignette I will feel very dumb because it would have been a silly mistake 9not made in any practice vignette just during the exam for some reason). It has to do with confusing Radius and Diameter of the circles used to create the setback from the curved area (lake or trail etc). I am testing on August 14th again and if I pass then my "me not paying attention dumb details" theory would have been right. I will let you know.
drummer03

Postby greek22 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:51 am

Ah okay! I have read before that people confuse the diameter with the radius! Good luck on your exam! Definitely keep us posted!
greek22

Return to PPP - PROGRAMMING, PLANNING & PRACTICE