PASS and some thoughts

Site Zoning Vignette and Multiple Choice

PASS and some thoughts

Postby Archer40 » Sun May 14, 2017 10:00 pm

Got the Pass on PPP at my first attempt, and just want to share some brief thoughts.

First of all, this division is really broad and it took me more than 3 months to prepare (although I cannot continuously follow a fixed schedule for study). The problem is I tried to cover as much as possible, but in reality it is just impossible to cover everything for this division. I studied most of the materials as suggested by many people here, and I keep forgetting what I learned earlier as I am reading new materials (yes I am getting old…). Below are what I studied:

-Kaplan
-Ballast
-Jenny’s notes
-Caroline's Notes
-“Problem Seeking”
-NALSA Archiflash cards (part of them, I should have spent a little more time on this)
-Kaplan and Ballast practice exams
-Designer Hacks for PPP
-Some other additional prints about Historic Preservation, Ahwahnee principles, Asbestos and Lead Removal and Defensible Space

I did not feel good after I finished the test and thought I probably will fail this one, since most of the questions are not simply testing a definition or concept in a straightforward way, but rather putting the question within a scenario and asking you to make your own judgment and decision, like many people have said, it is very subjective.

Looking back to the process, I think I spent too much time reading different materials and did not do the practice exams enough. Since this division is so broad and it is hard for someone to really “focus” on any specific area, I would suggest having a quick pass of Kaplan and Ballast, then take the practice exams, find out your weakness, then go back study more on those areas, then take the practice exams again.

For the practice exams, make sure you read the detail explanation of each answer carefully and understand it even though you answer it right. For my case, I feel the explanation of each question helped me remember more than reading the study materials.

Good luck to everyone, on to SPD next….
Archer40

Return to PPP - PROGRAMMING, PLANNING & PRACTICE