Ugh fail

Site Zoning Vignette and Multiple Choice

Ugh fail

Postby JORDANARE » Fri May 12, 2017 1:01 am

Got my result for PPP this afternoon, and it's a fail. My story with PPP is as follows:

1st attempt end of FEB, screen went blank exited myself out by accident right before the vignette. However,I got my multiple choice back and got one level 2 in in Codes, the smallest section- 1 in everything else. Tried to talk to NCARB and no luck. I passed SPD two days later, and figued I only needed two weeks to prepare. It was the least I studied, but I felt adequately prepared for the exam. This one was like taking an entirely different exam from the first. The first one seemed to be pulled from all of the common sources (Abstract from Pena, some proj. management, Ballast, designer hacks etc.)

The one I recently took could not have been studied for without a very deep understanding of project management, design sequence, and programming. Questions from contract docs that were obscure and would not be on the recommended list to cover, very specific questions on building efficiency that went well beyond the basics, and a number of questions with two actual correct answers (meaning after scouring the web for hours, many of the questions actually had two answers that easily could have been correct).

That said, I am really looking for advice with this exam since it's such a crapshoot.

I really had hoped to finish the exams this year. If I fail it again, I won't be able to take it for 8-9 more months.

Does anyone have any recommendations in this scenario? Should I stick with 4.0 and start doing other exams? Take PPP in July, or wait? I suppose it doesn't help that the next one feels like high stakes.

On a side note, it does seem like a better understanding of PPP is the result of taking multiple other exams first, helping to sequence things together, so I'm wondering if that's the best option.

Thanks!
JORDANARE

Re: Ugh fail

Postby vrcat25 » Fri May 12, 2017 10:17 am

JORDANARE wrote:Got my result for PPP this afternoon, and it's a fail. My story with PPP is as follows:

1st attempt end of FEB, screen went blank exited myself out by accident right before the vignette. However,I got my multiple choice back and got one level 2 in in Codes, the smallest section- 1 in everything else. Tried to talk to NCARB and no luck. I passed SPD two days later, and figued I only needed two weeks to prepare. It was the least I studied, but I felt adequately prepared for the exam. This one was like taking an entirely different exam from the first. The first one seemed to be pulled from all of the common sources (Abstract from Pena, some proj. management, Ballast, designer hacks etc.)

The one I recently took could not have been studied for without a very deep understanding of project management, design sequence, and programming. Questions from contract docs that were obscure and would not be on the recommended list to cover, very specific questions on building efficiency that went well beyond the basics, and a number of questions with two actual correct answers (meaning after scouring the web for hours, many of the questions actually had two answers that easily could have been correct).

That said, I am really looking for advice with this exam since it's such a crapshoot.

I really had hoped to finish the exams this year. If I fail it again, I won't be able to take it for 8-9 more months.

Does anyone have any recommendations in this scenario? Should I stick with 4.0 and start doing other exams? Take PPP in July, or wait? I suppose it doesn't help that the next one feels like high stakes.

On a side note, it does seem like a better understanding of PPP is the result of taking multiple other exams first, helping to sequence things together, so I'm wondering if that's the best option.

Thanks!

Couldn't hurt to at least take CDS and give PPP another shot. I failed 3 times before finally passing and "the 4th time was a charm" for me. Now i only have 2 tests left in 5.0 since i transitioned. PPP was a difficult test for me too. I heard many people who passed SS and BS complain about PPP. Just make sure you're prepared for the next time by studying all the question you think you missed. One thing that helps me is remembering all the questions that i missed and looking up the answers after the test. Some are hard to find and as you said, obscure and we just have to hope that they are "trial questions". The short answer is, stick with 4.0. I had to wait a year to retake and that was like torture because i thought PPP was "the easy test". It sounds like you were pretty close though. For me, Codes was all the only section i always did good in because i study code at work all the time and went over those areas in Caroline's notes until i memorized them. Also remember, this test is cumulative so you can technically pass it and still fail another section. It's just hard to tell which section and questions types since you were so close. I'm hoping 5.0 is less obscure, but not going to count on it. Anyhow, Better luck next time on whatever you decide. :)
Last edited by vrcat25 on Fri May 12, 2017 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
vrcat25

Postby chrisschumm » Fri May 12, 2017 10:39 am

I just re-took my PPP for the 4th time, While i dont know if i passed or not.... what i found works well for me is doing the practice tests, ballast, kaplan..as many as you can get your hands on - Review the questions you got wrong and physically write down some notes about each item that you find helpful to remember. In passing all the other 6 tests thats what ive learned now that im circling back to ppp - better late than never :lol:
chrisschumm

Postby vrcat25 » Fri May 12, 2017 10:43 am

chrisschumm wrote:I just re-took my PPP for the 4th time, While i dont know if i passed or not.... what i found works well for me is doing the practice tests, ballast, kaplan..as many as you can get your hands on - Review the questions you got wrong and physically write down some notes about each item that you find helpful to remember. In passing all the other 6 tests thats what ive learned now that im circling back to ppp - better late than never :lol:

i did that on all my tests using ARE sample problems and retook and studied both ballast tests. Unfortunately, the questions were way off topic for all 4 times for me. It's a GREAT sign that you seem comfortable with how it went. Every time i took it, i had one too many WTH type questions...The BIGGEST thing that helped me was doing a brain dump after each test and sure enough those extremely obscure questions would come up. By the way, how was the vignette chrisschumm?
vrcat25

Postby JORDANARE » Fri May 12, 2017 2:11 pm

Thank you both for the tips. Many of which I've already started doing. I like the idea of taking every question you remember and thoroughly understanding it from different angles. Even though some tests are much more difficult than others, the reality is the usually about half the test is always on the same concepts, and if you get those down really well a pass is likely. While there is a lot of clutter about what to study for with PPP, I've learned that the things that come up again and again are from the title - a thorough understanding of Pena and programming, design sequence, and project delivery. All the urban patterns, history, code, and other information show up, but you can only study so much extra here.

That said, I am trying to put together a plan-- If I take PPP again and fail it, I'll have to wait 8 months. I've passed CDS and SPD. I could just keep with 4.0, and come back to PPP at the end if that happened or switch to 5.0 immediately since it's 5 either way. I'm considering just taking PPP in July, but any suggestions would be super welcome.

Thanks!
JORDANARE

Postby vrcat25 » Fri May 12, 2017 2:43 pm

JORDANARE wrote: I've passed CDS and SPD. I could just keep with 4.0, and come back to PPP at the end if that happened or switch to 5.0 immediately since it's 5 either way. I'm considering just taking PPP in July, but any suggestions would be super welcome.

Thanks!

I misunderstood that you hadn't already passed CDS. In that case, I would DEFINITELY stick with taking PPP. Otherwise, you have 5 test left in 5.0 if you transition right? That was the position i was in. In fact, i took it 4 times and it really felt like i was in limbo for they 6 months i had to wait to take it again the fourth time... That being said, it's a pretty good feeling when you go from having 5 tests left to 2. If you fail it this time, i'd probably still wait the 8 months, but at least take it this next time and you have nothing to lose...Worse comes to worse, you fail it a third time and than you can transition to 5.0 if you so choose. I now understand what you mean about taking other tests and it's a tough predicament to be in. In 2 months, you may be able to get SS or BS out of the way to pave the way for pass all 7 in 4.0. At the same time, assuming you pass PPP, and plan to transition to 5.0, you would have wasted your money and time....Tough call, but i just waited and studied a little bit of structures. Than again, i had a LONG 6 month wait. :lol:
vrcat25

Postby JORDANARE » Sat May 13, 2017 1:27 pm

VrCat, Thanks for your suggestions and being so responsive to my post. That actually helps during the lonely ARE process. That said I took your advice and wrote down every question I could remember from any ARE that I had trouble answering. There are like 50 from the three different tests. My new strategy is to really understand the big picture from these questions and how they relate.

I also noticed a strong trend. Despite the fact that I believe I'm very knowledgeable for 2-3 years experience in code, I am struggling here. However, I've noticed that a lot of the code questions that are killing me, as well as some other questions are actually related to other exams that I haven't studied for. That said my new plan of attack is to study exclusively on the three more technical exams, and consider every question that could conceivably pop up on the famous catch-all exam PPP. At the end I will combine these concepts with a comprehensive study of all the PPP material including some study of SPD and CDS.

I will do this over 2-3 months. That way if I don't pass i'll be half prepared to jump into the other exams and only have 6-7 month with for PPP. If I do pass, I'll have a good start for the last two sections of 5.0. The reality (after taking this twice) is that PPP is a cruel exam for people who don't have at least a solid understanding of the entire process and that includes structural, mechanical, fire code etc. as well as CDS and SPD.

Thoughts on this?
JORDANARE

Postby chrisschumm » Sun May 14, 2017 8:29 pm

vrcat25 wrote:
chrisschumm wrote:I just re-took my PPP for the 4th time, While i dont know if i passed or not.... what i found works well for me is doing the practice tests, ballast, kaplan..as many as you can get your hands on - Review the questions you got wrong and physically write down some notes about each item that you find helpful to remember. In passing all the other 6 tests thats what ive learned now that im circling back to ppp - better late than never :lol:

i did that on all my tests using ARE sample problems and retook and studied both ballast tests. Unfortunately, the questions were way off topic for all 4 times for me. It's a GREAT sign that you seem comfortable with how it went. Every time i took it, i had one too many WTH type questions...The BIGGEST thing that helped me was doing a brain dump after each test and sure enough those extremely obscure questions would come up. By the way, how was the vignette chrisschumm?

there's some viemo movie floating around with really good instructions how to write down the viginette program notes: https://vimeo.com/50457422
I feel like that helped a lot!! The brain dumps are ok but I noticed every time I'd do that and study for them the next test would have none of those questions lol..

in my opinion all tests should have 2 week study time 45% of that time reviewing the content, notes, ballast, Kaplan, 30% practice tests reviewing the wrong answers. 25% archiflash - FYI Kaplan flash cards are crap!... It was tough, and there were many late nights coming home smelling like starbucks ..but that strategy worked best for ME personally because i felt i retained the most within 2 weeks of absorbing the content, a few people in my office struggle with these tests and they study for like 2-3 months per test... i believe it's because they cant remember the content when they first started studying... as thats what i did for my first test CDS :roll:

I just really want it all to be over... the prometric people know me by name now...and thats depressing :lol:
chrisschumm

Postby JORDANARE » Fri May 19, 2017 8:30 pm

I agree with the 2-3 month study theory. It's not for everyone. I think that it helps early on, but i've certainly walked into tests I passed knowing I got a couple answers from something I looked at during a half hour-hour session that morning, and again-- Many of us fail based on a few answers-- Especially if you're getting a level 3 in an area that's a small part of the exam. For the typical person, it seems getting a grasp on all the material will help so that you know what not to answer, which is still important-- but for the questions that are super subjective. IE) which construction delivery method-- It helps to be able to list side by side mentally the pros and cons of each, something that tests rote memory (for good or bad) and that can come the weekend before the test.
JORDANARE

Return to PPP - PROGRAMMING, PLANNING & PRACTICE