Transitioning and the Rolling Clock

Site Zoning Vignette and Multiple Choice

Transitioning and the Rolling Clock

Postby Coach » Thu May 11, 2017 4:52 pm

Remember that your rolling clock DOES NOT reset when you transition, so if you're looking to take fewer exams, you need to know the full picture of what you're getting into.

Scenario 1 - Transition with SPD, PPP and CDS
If you lose:
CDS, you will have to pass 5 more exams!
PPP, 5 more.
SPD, 3 more.

Scenario 2 - Transition with PPP and CDS
If you lose:
CDS, you will have to pass all six 5.0 exams!
PPP, 5 more.

Plan accordingly.
Coach
Site Admin

Re: Transitioning and the Rolling Clock

Postby Coach » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:41 pm

"Your rolling clock transitions with you. This means your 4.0 divisions will keep their expiration dates in 5.0."

https://www.ncarb.org/pass-are/are4/transition
Coach
Site Admin

Postby techtonix » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:34 am

As I understand their calculator:

if Structural Systems 4.0 is the ONLY and LAST test you have to pass...
The ARE 5.0 equivalent tests you would have to pass are:

1)Project Planning & Design
2)Project Development & Documentation

Use their calculator here: https://arecalc.ncarb.org/
techtonix

Postby 2435takeare » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:12 am

Choices below what is the best strategy option?

Option 1: take 3+2 ARE 4.0 & 5.0 Method
Take: Construction Document and Services, Programming Planning & Practice, Site Planning & Design in version 4.0, then after June 30, 2018 take Project Planning & Design, Project Development & Documentation.

Option 2: take 2+3 ARE 4.0 & 5.0 Method
Take Construction Document and Services, Programming Planning & Practice in version 4.0, then after June 30, 2018 take the Programming Analysis, Project Planning & Design, Project Development & Documentation.
2435takeare

Postby Coach » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:26 pm

2435takeare wrote:Choices below what is the best strategy option?

It depends on what you've taken and your rolling clock.

Option 1: take 3+2 ARE 4.0 & 5.0 Method
Take: Construction Document and Services, Programming Planning & Practice, Site Planning & Design in version 4.0, then after June 30, 2018 take Project Planning & Design, Project Development & Documentation.

Option 2: take 2+3 ARE 4.0 & 5.0 Method
Take Construction Document and Services, Programming Planning & Practice in version 4.0, then after June 30, 2018 take the Programming Analysis, Project Planning & Design, Project Development & Documentation.

You don't have to wait for June 30th. You can transition whenever you want to.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby melliemoe » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:45 pm

Why is my life so complicated hahaha
I have only 3 exams left in 4.0 - Structural Systems, Building Systems and Site Planning.
I have been having some health issues since 2014 and also started my family so have not been able to be as focused on getting these exams out of the way.
My rolling clock takes effect June 3, 2018 and I will lose CPD and PPP and then schematic design in December 2018.
Why not just take the 5.0 Project planning and design exam and be done? It seems that exam gives credits in all the remaining 4.0 exams for me. So complicated. Should I just call NCARB? Anyone know if the transition works that way?
melliemoe

Postby Coach » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:51 pm

melliemoe wrote:Why is my life so complicated hahaha
I have only 3 exams left in 4.0 - Structural Systems, Building Systems and Site Planning.
I have been having some health issues since 2014 and also started my family so have not been able to be as focused on getting these exams out of the way.
My rolling clock takes effect June 3, 2018 and I will lose CPD and PPP and then schematic design in December 2018.
Why not just take the 5.0 Project planning and design exam and be done? It seems that exam gives credits in all the remaining 4.0 exams for me. So complicated. Should I just call NCARB? Anyone know if the transition works that way?

CPD? I'll assume you must mean CDS.

I don't know what you're looking at but you're way off base.

As it stands, if you transition now you would have to pass PA, PPD, and PDD before 6/3/18.
If you don't transition, you'll have to pass SS, BS, and SPD before 6/3/18.

If neither of those happen, you're looking at needing all of 5.0.

With that in mind, I would transition ASAP and get cracking.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby BnyBen » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:48 am

FYI, my 4.0 BDCS exam (i.e. my rolling clock) was going to expire on 11/10/2019 but after I transitioned my new rolling clock expires on 6/6/2021.

I plan to finish before my 4.0 clock expires anyway but this seems to contradict what this thread is saying.

Leave it to NCARB to make this as confusing as possible. Remember that many if not all states have their own requirement to finish within 5 years either way.

ARE 4.0.jpg

ARE 5.0.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BnyBen

Postby Coach » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:59 pm

BnyBen wrote:FYI, my 4.0 BDCS exam (i.e. my rolling clock) was going to expire on 11/10/2019 but after I transitioned my new rolling clock expires on 6/6/2021.

I plan to finish before my 4.0 clock expires anyway but this seems to contradict what this thread is saying.

Leave it to NCARB to make this as confusing as possible. Remember that many if not all states have their own requirement to finish within 5 years either way.

What's going on there is the expiration of BDCS and SD don't matter because they're useless in transition. 6/6/21 is the expiration of CDS, PPP, or SPD.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby cbdesign » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:09 pm

I have only taken CDS and failed. I'd love to take the CDS, PPP, and SPD version 4.0 before June 3rd and then the PPD and PDD version 5.0. Is this unrealistic? If so, I'll start with version 5.0. Any thoughts?
I have my own business and have 2 mid-sized residential projects to work on at the same time. Thanks!
cbdesign

Postby Coach » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:49 am

cbdesign wrote:I have only taken CDS and failed. I'd love to take the CDS, PPP, and SPD version 4.0 before June 3rd and then the PPD and PDD version 5.0. Is this unrealistic? If so, I'll start with version 5.0. Any thoughts?

If you want to stay in 4.0 I would forget about SPD for now. Take CDS first, then PPP.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby architectco » Mon May 28, 2018 9:00 am

HI,

I have passed CDS, PPP, and SPD's and I want to transition to 5.0 but form what I am reading about 5.0 it seems very difficult and it almost makes me want to attempt to try and finish the last 4 exams in 4.0 before the June deadline ( I probably cant finish it before the deadline so it is probably a mute point). Anyone have any insight on this ?

Thank you,
architectco

Postby moose16 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:35 am

Hello All - I've only passed 4.0 CDS, but sadly failed PPP and SPD before the transition occurred. So now I'm stuck taking the remaining (5) 5.0 exams, in a rolling clock time of 1.6 years from today. I'm asking outloud of a consensus if it is even worth trying to pass all of these in this timeframe or just give up and let the clock run out and restart/reauthorize? i failed PPP and SPD multiple times (was extremely, frustratingly close) and feel like it's not enough time to now realistically finish in time, given the fact that it's all brand new and the pass rates are hovering around 50% nationwide. Any comments are welcome, and if anyone else is in the same boat happy to talk it out. Does anyone think NCARB would even offer advice on this, or just give blanket non-committal robot responses?
Thanks!!
moose16

Postby Coach » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:34 pm

It doesn't sound like you know how the rolling clock works. There's absolutely no benefit in waiting.

If you pass any of the new sections before CDS expires, and CDS subsequently expires, the clock starts from the oldest 5.0 pass. That's why it's called a ROLLING clock.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby moose16 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:48 pm

Yes I believe I misunderstood the rolling clock. So if I do not pass all 5.0 divisions in my remaining time, it only causes the expiration of CDS 4.0, (which then I would have to take Construction and Evaluation) 5.0, not the entire set of exams to "start over." Ok thank you for confirming.
moose16

Return to PPP - PROGRAMMING, PLANNING & PRACTICE