Failed Vignette - critical error

Site Zoning Vignette and Multiple Choice

Failed Vignette - critical error

Postby batto » Thu May 04, 2017 11:06 am

First time taking PPP. I got level 1 on all the MC, but bombed the vignette with a critical error, which gave me a Level 3 on it. I can't disclose what I did wrong, since that it would give out information about the test. I know exactly what I did wrong and it's my fault for not spending more time with the vignette practice program. However, here is my dilima... I passed CDS and was trying to pass PPP before transitioning to the 5.0... but now I have to wait 60 days until I can retake PPP. My goal was to be licensed by the end of 2017, and I'm I am still on track to do that, as long as I don't fail anymore tests (Assume 1 test a month). I need some advice. Should I transition to the 5.0 now and hopefully pass 2 of those tests in the next 60 days or retake PPP and then transition? The initial thought was to take 1 less test, but now I'm pissed off and I hate the vignettes and the archaic software. If the vignettes are my downfall, why not transition and never have to worry about the vignettes again? Also, I thought about taking SPD in 30 days, but it has 2 vignettes, which makes me not want to take it.
batto

Re: Failed Vignette - critical error

Postby vrcat25 » Thu May 04, 2017 11:26 am

Sorry to hear. It's very easy to make an error with PPP and most of us can totally empathize with you about this particular vignette. Since you have only passed CDS and not SPD, i would say to go ahead and transition. The problem that you may run into is that the questions in 5.0 may be more difficult for you. I can't say for sure, but the case studies and matching might present problems where the 4.0 MC obviously did not.

I would caution you about setting a goal that you may not be able to achieve. It's great to have short, mid and long term goals, but 1 test a month with no fails may be a little too overly optimistic. Is that how long you think it will take you to prepare for a 5.0 test? How did you figure that out? I'd like to know because i'm also considering transitioning. For 4.0 I could study the relevant chapters and take the sample tests in about a month per division, but i've heard that there's a broader base of content areas for 5.0. I'm also hoping to take my last two tests in 5.0 with about 4-8 weeks worth i've studying, but i've already studied a bunch of SS and BS.
vrcat25

Postby batto » Thu May 04, 2017 12:00 pm

I know my goal to be done by the end of the year is quick and if I don't make it no big deal. Since I only studied 3 weeks for CDS and 2 weeks for PPP, one test a month seems reasonable (for me) while working full time. Obviously, I should have spent another day on PPP vignette practice program. My study schedule was 1 hour a night on the weekdays and 2 hours a day on weekends, with at least 1 day off. I could easily bump it up to make a tighter schedule. I mostly did practice exams, flashcards and reviewed Caroline's notes. I think I will do more research on the 5.0 material and see what is out there. I have all the study material for 4.0 from people in my office, which is another reason why I'm a little hesitant to transition.
batto

Postby vrcat25 » Thu May 04, 2017 12:33 pm

I think you will be fine, you just reminded me of me. I had a goal to be complete by the end of 2016. :lol:

I also was just curious about what you are basing your 1 month per test on. I have the same type of schedule 4-6 weeks, but i was also thrown WAY off track due to a couple of failures. My problem wasn't so much with having an overly optimistic schedule, it was that i didn't adhere to it. As you said, another extra day for the vignette and you would have been fine, but hind site is always 20/20. I have 2 tests left in 5.0 and i'm only going to spend 4-8 weeks total to study for them for the first try. My plan is to take the tests and it's quite possible i'll fail them the first time, but i highly doubt i'll fail them 3 times so i will still be done by the end of 2017. Perhaps you could place a buffer in your schedule and just make sure you don't let 1 or 2 failures knock you off track. It sounds like you are on the right track though. Good luck!
vrcat25

Return to PPP - PROGRAMMING, PLANNING & PRACTICE