How the hell did I get a level 2 on the vignette?

Site Zoning Vignette and Multiple Choice

How the hell did I get a level 2 on the vignette?

Postby Anob » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:56 am

Tested last Saturday. I received a level 1 on all sections except for programming and the vignette which I received a level 2 on both. I know did everything right on the vignette. I finished in 30 minutes and double checked everything. The only thing I can guess was the software's accuracy. It took them a little bit longer to grade this exam. I feel that that had passed but human interferance failed me or maybe I'm being paranoid ( I'm pissed off) Can anyone shed some light on how someone can receive a level 2 on the vignette?
Anob

Re: How the hell did I get a level 2 on the vignette?

Postby corbismyhomeboy » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:11 am

Did you watch the NCARB video on YouTube about how they score the vignette? They lay out what the major, minor, and critical errors are.
corbismyhomeboy

Postby drfmpower » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:59 pm

I am wondering the same question. I received a Level 2 and checked mine 3 times. I know I covered everything in the program. I can only think it might be the snap. I went past the grid with my building profile and constructed my angled guide line 30.15 degrees when it asked for an even 30 degrees. Its baffling me too.
drfmpower

Postby yup1961 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:10 pm

To my horror I realized halfway through the vignette that I moved my guidelines accidentally. Maybe that's it?
yup1961

Postby sbyrktct » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:00 am

Anob... no offense to you personally, but it's amazing (and frankly, disappointing) how many threads just like this ("How In The World Could I Have Failed This Vignette?!?") pop up on this forum by people who haven't bothered to utilize the (completely free) opportunity to post practice vignette solutions on this forum for peer review.

In fact, I gave you this exact advice already back in February... viewtopic.php?f=4&t=47092&p=160987#p160987

Post your practice vignettes for review.
sbyrktct

Postby vrcat25 » Mon May 01, 2017 7:04 pm

corbismyhomeboy wrote:Did you watch the NCARB video on YouTube about how they score the vignette? They lay out what the major, minor, and critical errors are.

From what i recall of the video, there are no "minor" errors for this vignette. There are only major and critical. I guess a level 2 would be a major error, but as you said, he would need to go watch that video because i can't remember what they are either...
vrcat25

Postby Anob » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:43 pm

@Sbyrktct

Fair point...taking you up on your advice.

All comments welcomed. Testing in a week. Thank you in advance
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Anob

Postby sbyrktct » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:38 pm

Overall this solution looks good.

How close is your angled setback to 30.00?
The horizontal height restrictions on Lot B look like they might be a foot or two too high (all dimensions are multiples of 5... half a block on the grid).
sbyrktct

Postby gbalaka » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:28 pm

drfmpower wrote:I am wondering the same question. I received a Level 2 and checked mine 3 times. I know I covered everything in the program. I can only think it might be the snap. I went past the grid with my building profile and constructed my angled guide line 30.15 degrees when it asked for an even 30 degrees. Its baffling me too.

Since the software snaps to an invisible grid, they tolerate a certain percentage of error ( i think it's either 5% or 10%).

In other words, if they say 30 degrees and you're slightly off, it's acceptable.

You should always post your solutions on here and you'll find out that you may have been doing something completely wrong all along. Also, grade other people's vignettes and try to spot their errors.
gbalaka

Postby Anob » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:01 pm

Thanks for commenting. I was able to get an angle of 30.01.

I was wondering if the angle is off from the program because of the snapping and then the "Building Profile" is off also because of snapping wouldn't that compound the
angle (let say to be 31.01) to being more incorrect and therefore cause a major error and a subsequent fail?
Anob

Postby gbalaka » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:29 pm

Anob wrote:Thanks for commenting. I was able to get an angle of 30.01.

I was wondering if the angle is off from the program because of the snapping and then the "Building Profile" is off also because of snapping wouldn't that compound the
angle (let say to be 31.01) to being more incorrect and therefore cause a major error and a subsequent fail?

No, they cannot penalize you for being 1 degree off. The software isn't perfect...NCARB knows that and they account for that.

For example, on the Schematic Design BL vignette, when NCARB says make a room 200SF, you can make it a little bigger (like 210SF) and you won't be penalized.

On this vignette (PPP), you must be doing something else wrong. I'd love to comment on this but i took this exam like 2 years ago and don't recall much.

One thing I do notice is that you have drawn WAY too many of those circles. That's complete overkill. You're trying too hard to be absolutely perfect. This isn't CAD.
gbalaka

Return to PPP - PROGRAMMING, PLANNING & PRACTICE