Programming vs. Design

Site Zoning Vignette and Multiple Choice

Programming vs. Design

Postby sofiasalvat » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:28 pm

Hi everyone,

I am a little confused what programming entails. According to Kaplan, "Architectural programming is the process of identification and systematic organization of the functional, architectural, structural, mechanical, aesthetic, and budget criteria that guide decision making in the design of buildings."

With that said, can someone explain to me why 2,4,7, and 10 would not be a part of programming?

Photo Apr 07, 22 29 15.png

Photo Apr 07, 22 29 21.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sofiasalvat

Re: Programming vs. Design

Postby Coach » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:43 pm

Seems to me that it's been explained.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby sofiasalvat » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:44 am

Guess I am still not getting it ;)

Reflective glass is an aesthetic component
Structural foundation can depict form
Radial circulation is a "unassigned component"

All of which seem like they should be programmatic considerations....?
sofiasalvat

Postby djuan_h » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:41 pm

Greetings,

I was not clear on the answer myself but your post helped me. Hopefully you have already have an understanding if so great, if not, here's my explanation. Maybe explaining a different way will help.

Understanding that programming is "problem seeking" and design is "problem solving" Go down the list a ask yourself, does each statement appear to be creating a problem or is it solving a problem?

For #1: Products to be sold can be as long as 13'. - This statement creates the problem of designing a space that accommodates the length of the 13' long product.
For #6: The budget for finishes is 14% of the construction costs. - The creates the problem of determining what quality/quantity of finishes are needed to meet the budget set.

For #2: Sales enclosure to be made of reflective glass. - This is an affirmation that solves a problem of maybe providing security to the sales enclosure.
For #10 Showroom to be circular in plan. - This statement is response, utilizing a design concept to solve the problem of making the showroom function or make people behave within the showroom as intended.

Hopefully this helps everyone. Wish the best in your ARE study
djuan_h

Postby sofiasalvat » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:37 am

Thank you djuan_h! That was a great explanation. Another way to think about it is, once you give form to something it's considered design. In other words, programming would be simply stating the necessity for the circulation to connect x,y,z. Saying that it needs to be in a circular shape means you're already in the design phase.

I found this explanation in another NAlSA flashcard in the SPD section and it really helped clarify things for me.
sofiasalvat

Return to PPP - PROGRAMMING, PLANNING & PRACTICE