PPP, 2nd attempt, Vignette feedback

Site Zoning Vignette and Multiple Choice

PPP, 2nd attempt, Vignette feedback

Postby charlesh » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:55 am

Following an unsuccessful initial attempt at PPP, I'm preparing for a retest with a strong focus on the vignettes. In regard to the sun angles/degrees provided from benchmarks or otherwise...I've found it easier to memorize the rise/run for common slopes (i.e. 30= 1:1.73), however I'm wondering if there is an easier way to do this without performing basic trig functions (which can't be performed with the basic calculator on the exam)? There are three vignettes listed for feedback, one being from NCARB and I provided the program requirements for the other 2. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you
Vignette 1.jpg
Vignette 2.jpg
Vignette 3.jpg

Vignette 1 Program (NCARB)

Vignette 2 Program
An existing property has been subdivided to create two new lots for development. You are to show the buildable areas in plan and in section based on a variety of regulatory requirements and developmental constraints.
1. On the plan, show the portion of the site where surface improvements are allowed.
2. On the plan, show the portion of the site where building construction is allowed.
3. On the grid, draw the profile of the existing grade at Section A-A.
4. On the grid, draw the profile of the maximum building envelope for each lot at Section A-A.
OBSERVE ALL OF THE FOLLOWING RESTRICTIONS
• Surface improvements are prohibited within 5 ft. of any property line.
• Front yard setbacks shall be considered only from Main Street.
• Construction of buildings is prohibited within the following setbacks (all setbacks are measured from the property lines of the new lots):

Front yard setbacks from property along Main Street: 20 ft.
Rear yard setbacks: 20 ft.
Side yard setbacks: 10 ft.
• Construction surface improvements is prohibited within 10 ft. of the Lake Front.
• Construction of buildings is prohibited within 20 ft. of the Lake Front.
• The existing bicycle path shall remain undisturbed.
• Construction of buildings is prohibited within 10 ft. of the existing bicycle path.
• The maximum building height within 20 ft. of the west property line of Lot A shall be 15 ft. above the benchmark elevation.
• Any portion of a building constructed less than 20 ft. above the lake elevation must observe a 20 ft. setback from the Lake Front.
• The maximum building height limit shall be 25 ft. above the benchmark elevation.
• The maximum building envelope is restricted to an elevation defined by a 45° line rising eastward and westward from a point 10 ft. directly above the bicycle path centerline.

Vignette 3 Program:
An existing property has been subdivided to create two new lots for development. You are to show the buildable areas in plan and in section based on a variety of regulatory requirements and developmental constraints.
1. On the plan, show the portion of the site where surface improvements are allowed.
2. On the plan, show the portion of the site where building construction is allowed.
3. On the grid, draw the profile of the existing grade at Section A-A.
4. On the grid, draw the profile of the maximum building envelope for each lot at Section A-A.
OBSERVE ALL OF THE FOLLOWING RESTRICTIONS
• Surface improvements are prohibited within 5 ft. of any property line.
• Construction of buildings is prohibited within the following setbacks (all setbacks are measured from the property lines of the new lots):
• Front yard and setbacks shall be considered only from Red Spring Lane.
Front yard setbacks from property line along Red Spring Lane: 30 ft.
Rear yard setbacks: 20 ft.
Side yard setbacks: 10 ft.
• Surface improvements are prohibited within the drainage easement.
• Construction of buildings is prohibited within the drainage easement.
• Construction of buildings is prohibited below elevation of 10 ft.
• The maximum building height within 10 ft. of the easement shall be 40 ft. above the benchmark.
• Maximum building height limit shall be at an elevation of 90 ft.
• The maximum building envelopes of the two buildings are restricted to elevations defined by 45° lines rising westward from points 30 ft. above the benchmark on the respective easterly property lines.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
charlesh

Re: PPP, 2nd attempt, Vignette feedback

Postby vrcat25 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:58 am

LQQks good
vrcat25

Postby aiwan » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:01 am

Hi,

For vignette 2, why is there a setback to the west of the bike path?

Thanks,
a
aiwan

Postby rhettm » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:16 pm

Looks good. I'm a little confused why you would need to use basic trig or remember rise/run to get the 30 degree angle. Why don't you just draw a line and use the angle that the program gives you?
rhettm

Postby charlesh » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:46 am

Aiwan,
This is the way that the vignette 2 was originally conceived-I agree with you that the setback to the west of the bike path is odd. Nonetheless, a good practice vignette.
Charles
charlesh

Postby fabio2331 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:20 pm

If anyone know, i am trying to do the third alternate posted here but when it comes to drawing the surface improvement area the program doens't let me to draw the four blue zones so i can keep the easement clear. It can only use the tool 2 times and then it goes unavailable. Not sure if its a compatibility error.

Thanks
fabio2331

Return to PPP - PROGRAMMING, PLANNING & PRACTICE