Kaplan question re: reduced construction time

Site Zoning Vignette and Multiple Choice

Kaplan question re: reduced construction time

Postby fio » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:49 pm

"During the bid phase, the contractor hired to construct a small shopping mall planned for an 18 month construction schedule. After construction begins, the client notifies the architect that, due to financing considerations, construction must be completed three months earlier than the original date for substantial completion. The architect should recommend that the client:

A. hire a different contractor
B. reduce the scope of the project
C. replan using a Gantt schedule
D. authorize the contractor to use a fast-track schedule"

The answer is D.

I guess I need to go back and read up on fast track again, because per the question construction has already begun. I thought fast track was something planned from the outset, and you have separate bid packages etc. so that there isn't a traditional design-bid-build separation. Can fast tracking happen only during the construction phase?
fio

Re: Kaplan question re: reduced construction time

Postby Coach » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:50 pm

Well, fast track delivery method makes no sense -- that ship has sailed.

The wording is poor at best, but my guess is that they were trying to say to use an accelerated schedule, which would allow overtime and/or multiple crews, which would obviously increase costs. I seriously doubt ncarb would say "fast track".

So, if D said "accelerated schedule, it would be a legitimate answer. B is also a potentially correct response.

Coach
Site Admin

Postby AlStar » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:51 pm

I read somewhere that fast track is not a project delivery method but a scheduling method. Therefore you can have fast-track scheduling for any type of project delivery. This question seems to be based on that concept.
AlStar

Postby Coach » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:00 pm

Actually, that's true, so I suppose saying "fast-track schedule" implies using overtime and/or multiple crews since the other traditional fast-tech aspects don't apply.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby fio » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:17 pm

Thanks for the input. That does clarify. The wording is always so nuanced--when I see 'fast track' I think delivery not schedule alone. The explanation said that B (which had been my answer) wasn't correct because reducing scope generally only reduces the budget not the time. Thanks again.
fio

Postby Coach » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:23 pm

fio wrote:The explanation said that B (which had been my answer) wasn't correct because reducing scope generally only reduces the budget not the time.

Incorrect.
The project in the question is a perfect example. Say the initial scope included TIs. If you eliminated them you would certainly shorten the schedule.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby seaccs » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:52 pm

I'm sticking with Coach's original answer. The fast-track scheduling ship has already sailed. Kaplan explains fast-track scheduling as combining the A/E's design schedule with the contractor's construction schedule. If the project is already bid, awarded, and is under construction, then the design schedule is already done and you can't overlap it to try and shorten the overall timeline.

Given that, I'd say that the best answer would be B. I don't see any other way given the options.

If one wanted to speculate, one could argue that perhaps instead of "Gantt schedule" in C they meant to say CPM schedule. Given that this was a small shopping mall with only an 18-month schedule to begin with, it is conceivable that they were using a Gantt chart schedule to begin with and there could be some time in the schedule that could be removed and saved by simply identifying the critical path when changing to a CPM schedule. However, I doubt the savings would be 3 months if you had a decent contractor to begin with. Also, it should be stated that construction time is not saved by simply using a CPM schedule. It just identifies an optimal sequence and schedule for construction operations. It could help identify aspects of the project that have long lead times. Eliminating or changing those aspects could shorten the construction time. But, with a small shopping mall, I wouldn't anticipate that there would be 3 months to save due to lead time on items. I would still argue that reducing scope is the most correct answer.

Out of curiosity, what year of the Kaplan guide is this question from? Was it part of the chapter quiz or the exam at the end?
seaccs

Postby hnQ_9999 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:05 pm

I like this question a lot. Before answer this question, let's clear up:
a) Fast track is a delivery method. That being said, it then requires specific schedule.
Developments of shopping malls, especially small ones ARE fast tracked due to
know quality of works involved.
b) Shopping mall constructions come in 2 parts: "Core and Shells" and "TI", and
they maybe (most of the time) are separate sets of crews (because TI are done by
individual tenants). We assume this question refers to "Core and Shells" only.

The question didn't say what its original delivery method, and if (b) is true.
And we don't even know how late into construction that this situation being into
questioned (maybe just a few days, or worst, halfway down the road...to say
the ship has sailed ?).

I agreed w/ Coach, reschedule to add more crews or OVT is best course of action
regarding given unknown factors. Yet Fast track is still the best answer since it
can include "add more crews or OVT" via Change Orders.
hnQ_9999

Return to PPP - PROGRAMMING, PLANNING & PRACTICE