PPP Vignette HELP

Site Zoning Vignette and Multiple Choice

PPP Vignette HELP

Postby thomasvaldrich » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:17 am

So, I have failed this vignette twice and passed the multiple choice portion twice. I don't have any clue what I am doing wrong. I am double checking all the setbacks for the buildable areas and surface improvement areas. I am drawing the radius circles at even intervals (using 'snaps') along the angled elements (last time it was an elevated road and wonder if I failed because maybe I was allowed to show surface improvements 'under' the elevated road even though I didn't read anything to make me think that?). I am paying attention to the phrasing of the easement requirement (i.e. if I can show surface improvements within the easement or not). I am zooming in and ensuring that I am as close as possible to the radius circles without touching them. I am writing notes of all the building profile height limits and double checking my grade profile. I was actually able to get my angled height limit line to be at exactly 45 degrees and the building profile was able to touch the line without going above it (I zoomed in as far I could and it did not overlap). I am starting my building profile one click under the grade. I am drawing out all of the requirements (i.e. 30' above the B.M. and 50' in from prop. line A etc.) I ensured that the building profile was drawn exactly where it intersected the section marker (I think I failed the first one because I might have drawn it at the maximum extent of the angled building and not at the section marker). I double and triple checked everything and still had 10 minutes left when I finished. I was 10000000% sure I passed it and I failed it at level 2 (First time I failed it at level 3). Can anyone help me with some insight into possible reasons I failed? I am beyond frustrated with this and with the fact that California won't even let me know what I did wrong so that I can ensure I don't do it again.
thomasvaldrich

Re: PPP Vignette HELP

Postby ablumetti » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:18 pm

I'm not sure if ncarb would ever do it this BUT I have ready practice vignettes that said always make sure the north arrow is up and don't assume it will always be and also make sure the grid and site plan scale is also the same. Two things that you didn't have to even think about on the ncarb practice one but I've been warned else where
ablumetti

Postby Coach » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:28 pm

thomasvaldrich wrote:Can anyone help me with some insight into possible reasons I failed?

Post practice solutions!
Coach
Site Admin

Postby little12 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:44 pm

Been there. For real. NO clue on the past fails. Honestly did the same dang process each time. I'll give you my tips/advice/thoughts and also...so much solidarity.

1-Keep going. One of these times you'll get it. This is the dumbest vignette in my opinion. It's the easiest in theory, but also the hardest in that one thing that isn't exactly right can fail you. And...if you're unlucky and get a funky vignette, then it just sucks. I was always frustrated with the ones that said "easy. just like ncarb"...but mine was NEVER like ncarb. Ever.

2-practice alternates. NOT for the point of learning the tricks they might throw, but for getting yourself familiar with different scenarios so you're not stuck thinking it will be like ncarb. It helps you practice reading closer and taking better notes to.

3-Brudgers and the vimeo video

4-Along the special condition (in ncarb, it's the lake) get as close as you can without touching. I'd say this is the ONLY thing I did different the last time.

5-Be a maniac about your notes. I seriously felt like I was reading every.single.word. Twice. Just to be sure.

6-Slow down. If you're practiced enough times, the actual drawing won't take you long. Go slow and talk in your head while you're doing it. So slow that you feel dumb. For real.

7-Find someone to vent to about NCARB. Let it all out. But then leave it there if you can. Know that NO ONE ever knows what they did wrong on the vignette from NCARB. It's not just you or your state. If you want proof, just search the mass of people on here who have had mysterious fails. There are more than any other vignette I would say. It sucks. It sucks hard. But, ncarb won't change anything...complaining to them will do nothing...and you will likely never ever know. So get all the anger and frustration out however you can (safely!) and then just go on.

8-Take the test at a different facility. If this is an option for you, I'd highly recommend it. I ended up talking to multiple people who took, and failed, this vignette in my location in the past year. None that I talked to passed. Many of us took it elsewhere and passed first shot. Coincidence? Who freakin knows. Nothing would come of it even if we did bring it up to them!! No point in bothering. Even if it's only your mindset that the new place changes, at least it's worth a shot. Fresh location, fresh mind, fresh motivation. Worked for me.

Good luck. You'll get it.
little12

Postby cmanley3 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:54 pm

I'm in the same boat with the vignette. I'm about to take this exam for the 4th time next Friday (power went with 2 questions left on MC on the first go round). Passed MC both times, failed vignette level 2 and level 3. I was 100% sure I passed. I'm just going to pour over every practice vignette I can and read every post on ARE coach to learn all the pit falls to avoid... and really just cross my fingers! Also screw NCARB. They suck.
cmanley3

Postby vrcat25 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:14 pm

thomasvaldrich wrote: wonder if I failed because maybe I was allowed to show surface improvements 'under' the elevated road even though I didn't read anything to make me think that?).

i know this is an old thread, but does anybody know the answer to this question??
vrcat25

Return to PPP - PROGRAMMING, PLANNING & PRACTICE