Estimates?

Site Zoning Vignette and Multiple Choice

Estimates?

Postby alenb » Sun May 01, 2016 7:55 pm

How come that assemblies system is not more accurate than unit price takeoff?
In DD assemblies systems define more details and in which case shall proved more accurate cost estimate??

Sample question:
Which of the fallowing types of estimates is the most accurate?
A) order of magnitude
B) square foot and cubic foot
C) assemblies system
D) unit price takeoff

My answer is C- assemblies, however ncarb's answer is unit price take off? In programming the unit price ( such as per bed or per Pearson is used earlier on to define cost estimates, however as project moves on assemblies and more details of construction appear and cost estimates shall be more detailed more accurate, therefore is shall be correct answer assemblies? why Ncarb claims that correct answers to above question is unit price? Please explain.
Thans
alenb

Re: Estimates?

Postby Coach » Sun May 01, 2016 8:20 pm

Unit price is more accurate. For example, doing a take off of a metal-framed gyp wall and adding cost of all components is more accurate than using $X/LF (or SF) of wall.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby tammy2329 » Mon May 02, 2016 2:07 pm

I believe when they use the word takeoff, that they are itemizing, as opposed to just unit price. Can someone clarify this point? The wording has been used everywhere.
tammy2329

Postby alenb » Wed May 04, 2016 10:26 am

Coach wrote:Unit price is more accurate. For example, doing a take off of a metal-framed gyp wall and adding cost of all components is more accurate than using $X/LF (or SF) of wall.

What about if you have a storefront assembly you can budget that really accurate than by using a unit takeoff estimate.
Correct? I thought that assembly estimates are used in DD and CD phase in which case provide more accurate estimate detail.
alenb

Postby Coach » Wed May 04, 2016 11:05 am

alenb wrote:What about if you have a storefront assembly you can budget that really accurate than by using a unit takeoff estimate.
Correct? I thought that assembly estimates are used in DD and CD phase in which case provide more accurate estimate detail.

You shouldn't approach these questions with "what if" scenarios. Also, the job phase is irrelevant in that question.
A takeoff, by definition, is the most accurate.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby htulis » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:27 pm

Two years after the last post on this topic and I find the same issue with the same question. "Unit" is a keyword for those taking this test that indicates a broad means of estimating as opposed to specific. If test takers keep having this issue, I would assume it is a poorly designed question. Hopefully in the next phase of this test wording will be clearer.
htulis

Postby nickedemus » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:38 am

htulis wrote:Two years after the last post on this topic and I find the same issue with the same question. "Unit" is a keyword for those taking this test that indicates a broad means of estimating as opposed to specific. If test takers keep having this issue, I would assume it is a poorly designed question. Hopefully in the next phase of this test wording will be clearer.

No, "unit" and "take off" are used throughout the building industry to refer to the most specific forms of estimating. The only discipline that has trouble with these concepts is architecture. The industry is not going to change to accommodate a weakness in a single discipline.
nickedemus

Return to PPP - PROGRAMMING, PLANNING & PRACTICE