Ballast Sample Problem #9

Site Zoning Vignette and Multiple Choice

Ballast Sample Problem #9

Postby charlamagne » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:50 pm

9. During the bid phase, the contractor hired to construct a small shopping mall planned for an 18-month construction schedule. After construction begins, the client notifies the architect that, due to financing considerations, construction must be completed three months earlier than the original date for substantial completion. The architect should recommend that the client

A. Hire a different contractor
B. Reduce the scope of the project
C. Replan using a Gantt scheudle
D. Authorize the contractor to use a fast-track schedule.

The correct answer listed in Ballast is D, which I disagree with since during the bid phase the CDs have already been completed by the architect and it's too late to start the fast-track schedule. Fast-track schedules work by overlapping the design phase with the construction phase. How can you fast-track a construction schedule when the design has already been completed?

Is this another ballast-FAIL question?
charlamagne

Re: Ballast Sample Problem #9

Postby Bamla » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:57 pm

I was actually asking the same thing to myself. How can you fast track if the bid was already awarded?? I guess the trick there is that the client wants the project to end three months earlier. But still doesn't make sense, because the drawings are already done...

Anyone has a better light on this question ??
Bamla

Postby enisarch » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:22 am

My understanding of fast track scheduling is that it is a way of timing Construction phase separately, or Design/Construction both together in one timline. That being said, Design phase can be Gantt and Construction can be fast track. Why? because architects offer their design/construction/management services based on client`s priorities and time line varieties and changes. And when we talk about deadline in construction, fast track is the Most efficient way of hitting the deadline with 10-30% more efficiency than any way else.

OR: let`s use the elimination technique, execlude the 100% wrong answers

A. wrong, coz hiring different contractor will trap the project in learning techniques for his new staff, more coordination will be required, so that a big delay may happen
B. wrong, coz reducing the scope can ONLY happen during programming (pre-design stage), and if it happened thereafter, it will delay the production.
C. confusing, but still wrong, coz Gannt chart - by nature - is start/end method with a bit of overlap, while Fast Track is overlap-based method where construction activities can be undertaken while other design issues are NOT resolved yet.

I Hope that helps and it makes sense based on my knowledge.
enisarch

Postby Bamla » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:53 am

enisarch,

Thanks that makes sense to some extend, now the issue comes at the initial information where the architect and owner agree to a project delivery method, the design schedule, etc. When construction starts, lets say that we take into consideration the minimum time for design, SD=1mo, DD=2mo, CD=3mo, Bid=3weeks. By the time that the contractor gets the job 6 months and 3 weeks have passed. The job according to the example has to be finished in 15 months, that means that they have 8 months and one week to finish the construction. Also the fast track scheduling, to extent of my understanding, is part of CMa, CMc or Design build delivery method (please correct me if Im wrong) where the contractor is being retained early in the design stage to provide with a more accurate estimate of construction and reality of construction methods and materials. If the contractor had already set up a fixed fee or a GMP, etc., wouldn't authorizing the contractor to use fast track change the whole contract? Also to use fast track, there needs to be more than one contractor, correct? (again this is to the extent of my understanding) That said, how can a contractor use fast track schedule when there is no design to be overlapped? Plus, lets say that can happen, wouldn't there be too many people on the site at the same time, reducing the efficiency of construction and raising the risk of injury?
Bamla

Postby enisarch » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:33 pm

Bamla,

As far as I know fast track does NOT have to be conducted by two or more GC, one GC can defintely do this with his construction crew. It is a delivery method I guess.
So I would say that in our case question, the GMP would be modified based on the change on the factor of time which means probably extra fees; given that construction is dependant on quality, budget, and time. So if any change happens to one of them the other two ones will be affected.

But to clear the confusion out of your mind, fast track defintely can be performed by one GC. And in real life there is no such a thing GC by-his/her-own, Subs are involved and they are executing the actual work on ground. for teh sake of our questions, GC shall work out the subs` coordination to hit the time required.

I don`t know if I can be of further help.
enisarch

Postby enisarch » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:43 pm

This would be useful for all of us:

When Should Fast Track Be Used?
Fast Track Construction should not be attempted unless the owner is under real pressure to achieve a specific mandatory completion date. The owner, architect, and contractor must all be completely acquainted with the process and must enter into it fully aware of the inherent problems. They must be willing to engage in the give and take of compromise, and to assume reasonable and flexible attitudes. Even with all of the extraordinary efforts expended to achieve the time savings available in fast track construction, it is possible to lose them all in the event of labor disruption, material unavailability, unpredicted inclement weather, fire, accident, earthquake, or any of a number of other unfortunate occurrences. (Note 4)

Source: http://www.dcd.com/oleary/oleary_marapr_2006.html
enisarch

Postby aniemann » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:10 pm

18 months was only the "construction time", not the total project time. Reducing it from 18 to 15 months is a reduction of 17-18% which is within 10%-30% allowed by using a fast track method. (Yes, I agree that this is an iffy type question regarding fast-tracking, (which usually means an overlap of the design and construction phases), but we must play the game and ferret out the correct answer that the exam creators had in mind as "right."))
aniemann

Return to PPP - PROGRAMMING, PLANNING & PRACTICE