More 'Concept' Questions (Mostly Ballast)

Site Zoning Vignette and Multiple Choice

More 'Concept' Questions (Mostly Ballast)

Postby architect23 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:38 pm

From the Ballast practice exam with 85 questions, I've included the question numbers for reference, but I've worded my questions so that having to refer to Ballast is not necessary:

# 24. Why are payroll taxes considered a part of labor costs? (As stated in answer explanation, pg. 65)
# 32. When you increase the perimeter to floor area ratio, does this increase the amount of envelope?
# 39. What the heck is a one way solid slab concrete frame? Yes, I did try to do my research online, and don't understand the benefits of a one way vs. two way.
# 42. An agreement between the consultant and architect does not require the consultant to carry liability insurance?! Why? And also, part 2, wouldn't the consultant-architect agreement need to reference the owner-architect agreement? Especially if the Con-Arch. agreement will include passed on rights and responsibilities of the architect down to the consultant.
#47. I do not understand the concept of a premium, and how, adding this to an estimate during the programming phase, will reduce the 'unknowns' of the budget and will clearly define project costs.
#72. This question refers to the " the client's timing" as an answer to the statement that it will impact a cost projection- what the heck is this and how does it impact a cost projection?
#74. I am not understanding uniform present worth, uniform sinking fund, and uniform capital recovery as components of Life Cycle Cost Analysis. I found uniform present worth in AHPP, but there is no explanation on the two 'uniform' terms.
#75. Why would "place safe activity in safe locations" not be a part of Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design?

Other definition questions that have come up in my studying:
1) What is included in net rental space? Indoor parking wouldn't count right? How about corridors, libraries.. I assume mechanical and service spaces are not included either.

2) Programming includes scale and aesthetics? Archiflash says so, and I wonder why?
A) Function, form, economy, time.. Where do those two fit into these four categories?
B) What are some programming examples of these four categories? I am confused and it would be great to get some actual examples of these!

Thanks again for ANY help! :D :D :D
architect23

Re: More 'Concept' Questions (Mostly Ballast)

Postby Coach » Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:11 am

architect23 wrote:# 24. Why are payroll taxes considered a part of labor costs? (As stated in answer explanation, pg. 65)

Why wouldn't it be? It's a direct cost.

# 32. When you increase the perimeter to floor area ratio, does this increase the amount of envelope?

Of course.

# 39. What the heck is a one way solid slab concrete frame? Yes, I did try to do my research online, and don't understand the benefits of a one way vs. two way.

Do you mean one-way vs two-way slabs?

# 42. An agreement between the consultant and architect does not require the consultant to carry liability insurance?! Why?

It just doesn't.

And also, part 2, wouldn't the consultant-architect agreement need to reference the owner-architect agreement?

It is. Have you read C401?

#47. I do not understand the concept of a premium, and how, adding this to an estimate during the programming phase, will reduce the 'unknowns' of the budget and will clearly define project costs.

Do you mean "contingency"?

#72. This question refers to the " the client's timing" as an answer to the statement that it will impact a cost projection- what the heck is this and how does it impact a cost projection?

Time is a basic factor in cost. Less time = higher cost.

#74. I am not understanding uniform present worth, uniform sinking fund, and uniform capital recovery as components of Life Cycle Cost Analysis. I found uniform present worth in AHPP, but there is no explanation on the two 'uniform' terms.

That's why they invented google.

Coach
Site Admin

Postby architect23 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:22 am

Coach wrote:
architect23 wrote:# 24. Why are payroll taxes considered a part of labor costs? (As stated in answer explanation, pg. 65)

I don't understand why.

Of course.

Yes, one way vs. two way.

# 42. An agreement between the consultant and architect does not require the consultant to carry liability insurance?! Why?

It just doesn't.

And also, part 2, wouldn't the consultant-architect agreement need to reference the owner-architect agreement?

You're wrong, according to the Ballast answer explanation.

Nope, I am referring to premium.

The client's timing in what, though? And isn't it less time= less cost? Confused.

Yes, I tried that

Thanks Coach for the taking the time to read through and for your responses!

If anyone could take a look at my original post and actually provide some explanations, I would appreciate it, as I'm still baffled.
architect23

Postby Coach » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:33 am

architect23 wrote:
Coach wrote:

I don't understand why.

Payroll taxes are a part of labor expense just like the base hourly wage is. It's a simple fact. If you want to know the true cost of an item you have to include ALL costs. This is similar to including shipping costs when considering total material cost. You understand that don't you?

Yes, one way vs. two way.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&as_ ... as_rights=

It just doesn't.

You're wrong, according to the Ballast answer explanation.

Why don't you read the actual document and tell me who's really wrong.

Nope, I am referring to premium.

What's the context? There are different premiums. Insurance premiums, labor premiums...

The client's timing in what, though? And isn't it less time= less cost? Confused.

Length of construction. If owner needs it done in 6 months when it normally would take 9 months, it will cost more for various reasons like overtime pay, extra crews and equipment, expedited material production and shipping, etc.

Yes, I tried that

Thanks Coach for the taking the time to read through and for your responses!

If anyone could take a look at my original post and actually provide some explanations, I would appreciate it, as I'm still baffled.

You have to actually work to get through this.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby architect23 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:21 pm

Coach:

Cost estimates developed during programming phase are usually based on model project of similar size and scope. Cost estimate during programming is difficult, too many unknowns. A premium is an item that will add cost to a project in comparison to the model. Listing premiums helps architect/owner get better feel for project costs. Premiums include short construction periods, unusual contract provisions (insurance, liquidated damages), challenging site conditions, nonstandard programmatic elements/client requirements (need for union labor, wage rates, etc.)

What does 'premium' mean in this context?
architect23

Postby Coach » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:34 pm

architect23 wrote:Cost estimates developed during programming phase are usually based on model project of similar size and scope. Cost estimate during programming is difficult, too many unknowns. A premium is an item that will add cost to a project in comparison to the model. Listing premiums helps architect/owner get better feel for project costs. Premiums include short construction periods, unusual contract provisions (insurance, liquidated damages), challenging site conditions, nonstandard programmatic elements/client requirements (need for union labor, wage rates, etc.)

What does 'premium' mean in this context?

It tells you in the last sentence.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby penguinqueen » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:17 pm

As I read through AIA C401, item 2.8 says consultant shall maintain following insurance for the duration of this agreement: 1. general liability, 2. automobile liability 3. worker's compensation 4. professional liability

Then I am looking at #42, why consultants do not need liability insurance ?

Coach wrote:

Of course.

It just doesn't.

penguinqueen

Postby Coach » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:34 pm

penguinqueen wrote:As I read through AIA C401, item 2.8 says consultant shall maintain following insurance for the duration of this agreement: 1. general liability, 2. automobile liability 3. worker's compensation 4. professional liability

The form has blanks for policy amounts. Those amounts can be zero.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby penguinqueen » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:55 am

Coach wrote:
penguinqueen wrote:As I read through AIA C401, item 2.8 says consultant shall maintain following insurance for the duration of this agreement: 1. general liability, 2. automobile liability 3. worker's compensation 4. professional liability

The form has blanks for policy amounts. Those amounts can be zero.

Thank you coach! I guess I need to get use to the format of legal document as well!
penguinqueen

Return to PPP - PROGRAMMING, PLANNING & PRACTICE