NCARB Sample Questions

Site Zoning Vignette and Multiple Choice

NCARB Sample Questions

Postby lynn2000 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:08 pm

I have questions about some of the NCARB Exam Guide sample questions, I wish somebody could help me.

Which of the following consultant engineers typically consumes the greatest percentage of project fees on school projects?
o Civil
o Electrical
o Mechanical
o Structural

The correct answer is Mechanical. I have no idea how to approach this question, I would like to know where I can find this type of information for further study?

When the architect is analyzing the choice between renovating an existing library or demolishing it and constructing a new library, the architect should first recommend that
o a feasibility study be prepared
o renovation costs be compared with costs for
new construction
o the owner obtain community input
o the local historical society be consulted

The right answer is "a feasibility study be prepared". I thought "renovation costs be compared with costs for new construction" would be better, since at the beginning of the question, it says "the architect is analyzing the choice between......" which means no matter what, the current library can't satisfy the need, they need a new one or an upgraded one.

Blocking and stacking within the programming process is most critical when considering
o space requirements
o special equipment
o site limitations
o building systems

Correct answer is "site limitations". I was hesitating between "space requirements" and "site limitations" and finally chose "space requirements" because I thought blocking and stacking are all about space (area and location), can anybody explain why "site limitations" is a better choice?

Thank you in advance.
lynn2000

Re: NCARB Sample Questions

Postby Barry » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:38 pm

lynn2000 wrote:I have questions about some of the NCARB Exam Guide sample questions, I wish somebody could help me.

Which of the following consultant engineers typically consumes the greatest percentage of project fees on school projects?
o Civil
o Electrical
o Mechanical
o Structural

The correct answer is Mechanical. I have no idea how to approach this question, I would like to know where I can find this type of information for further study?

When the architect is analyzing the choice between renovating an existing library or demolishing it and constructing a new library, the architect should first recommend that
o a feasibility study be prepared
o renovation costs be compared with costs for
new construction
o the owner obtain community input
o the local historical society be consulted

The right answer is "a feasibility study be prepared". I thought "renovation costs be compared with costs for new construction" would be better, since at the beginning of the question, it says "the architect is analyzing the choice between......" which means no matter what, the current library can't satisfy the need, they need a new one or an upgraded one.

Blocking and stacking within the programming process is most critical when considering
o space requirements
o special equipment
o site limitations
o building systems

Correct answer is "site limitations". I was hesitating between "space requirements" and "site limitations" and finally chose "space requirements" because I thought blocking and stacking are all about space (area and location), can anybody explain why "site limitations" is a better choice?

Thank you in advance.

Mech systems are difficult and time consuming to coordinate. I know that from experience. Ducts are bigger than electrical and plumbing runs and they get in the way of a lot of stuff. They also have to be coordinated with ceiling plans, never are, and have to be changed. Dampers are a pain to locate as well.

It may be completely out of the question to tear the old library down for a number of reasons beyond cost.

Site limitations is usually why you would stack parts of the project. I guess that's what it's talking about.
Barry

Postby dingicm » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:23 am

Mechanical limits a building more because it can take up so much space! Study BS exam also.

You always give the client options and discuss the design with them, it's their decision and this requires a feasibility study to come to a conclusion. Plus architect's cost estimates are generally rather vague and not as exact, a separate contractor may be hired to help such as a CM. You as the hired architect don't make this kind of decision without the client's approval and to do so they will need something substantial to review. Study CDS exam also.

You can edit space requirements with the client but you have no control over site limitations. Study SPD exam also.

I took PPP last, (I'm still waiting for results) because it covers material referenced in so many other exams. I took PPP earlier and passed all MC level 1 but I made a mistake on the vignette and had to retest this week. I found that the MC was understandable because I had studied and passed all other exams so far. Although SPD and CDS are the most helpful so don't be overwhelmed and maybe take these first because the content is far more focused.
dingicm

Postby lynn2000 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:31 am

Thanks for responding.

I understand you guys' point that mechanical part is complicated very often, but I think buildings with large span or with more complicated structure systems, that part of fee will probably be higher. Also pay attention to the end of the question "Which of the following consultant engineers typically consumes the greatest percentage of project fees on school projects?" It asked about "school project". So, I still don't understand about the answer. :(
lynn2000

Postby sbyrktct » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:20 am

lynn2000 wrote:Thanks for responding.

I understand you guys' point that mechanical part is complicated very often, but I think buildings with large span or with more complicated structure systems, that part of fee will probably be higher. Also pay attention to the end of the question "Which of the following consultant engineers typically consumes the greatest percentage of project fees on school projects?" It asked about "school project". So, I still don't understand about the answer. :(

School's won't have "more complicated structure systems"... they do have lots of different HVAC requirements (classrooms, labs, gym, locker rooms, showers, possibly a pool, multiple changes from low & high ceilings... etc.). Mechanical engineering is the most complicated and most costly part of the engineered design for schools.
sbyrktct

Postby failureisnotfinal » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:30 pm

My only guess to the question about which consultant earns the most profit from consulting on a new school:
COST PROJECTIONS claim that Mechanical Engineers earn the most profit from the "Basic Scope of Architect's Services", referencing C401, Standard Agreement between Architect & Consultant (read these sections for clarity):

Mechanical Engineers - 15%
Electrical Engineers - 12%
Civil Engineers - 10%
Structural Engineers - 9-10%

Hpoe this helps
failureisnotfinal

Postby failureisnotfinal » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:43 pm

Hi Lynn, me again!

Responding to your "site limitations" question; the "ORDER of sequential importance" necessary when programming with a client, is as such:

1. Matrix Diagram (interior or MICRO)
2. Bubble Diagram (interior or MICRO)
3. Stacking and Blocking (exterior or MACRO)

Here, think MICRO v. MACRO...

whereas, a #1. Matrix Diagram and #2. Bubble Diagram are used to determine "interior" spaces and volumes (MICRO); typically F.A.R. (floor area ratios) and FLOOR PLAN EFFECIENCY ratios would be used to determine smaller micro components, such as "square feet per student workstation"; used to determine SQUARE FOOTAGES of each floor.

MACRO, think "exterior", such as volume by acreage. Now Stacking and Blocking are consider MACRO floors, like stacking floors to get the volume of Building Components, instead of workstation components (MICRO).

Hope this helps.
failureisnotfinal

Postby failureisnotfinal » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:06 pm

Hi Lynn, me AGAIN --- AGAIN!

Your brain did well, you narrowed (4) possible answers down to the only (2) remaining of relivence, GOOD JOB!

A./ feasibility study be prepared?
B./ renovation costs be compared with costs for new construction?

ANSWER:? "...renovation costs be compared with costs for
new construction"...

B:/ IS THE DEFINITION OF A "FEASIBILITY STUDY", so A:/ is the BETTER CHOICE

Hope this helps
failureisnotfinal

Return to PPP - PROGRAMMING, PLANNING & PRACTICE