Vignette---help me pass this time!!!!

Site Zoning Vignette and Multiple Choice

Vignette---help me pass this time!!!!

Postby little12 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:04 pm

I got a level 2 last go around...likely because of accuracy, but who freakin knows. Anywho. Please see and comment!!!!! I got rid of some sketch elements as I went along because it allows me to see better.

Also, some scenarios i'd love feedback on....some "what ifs" if you will, just to try to throw out random scenarios and think about options. There are a ton of things that can be thrown our way, so I don't want to assume things will be just like the example.

-If the clearances weren't the same for the lake front, would you draw one set of circles and then another? Like if secondary build was 10' and building construction was 25'?

-What if the "front" wasn't crossing both A & B? Like if A was behind B or something. So for the vignette if they said the Front setback was off Side Street. How would you address Lot A

-I read this in another program but can't find it now....What if you had an instruction for the angle that was said "a 45 degree line rising eastward from west property line A until the building height limit"? But, Property A had multiple height limits based on distance from lake or something. Would that angle stop at the first height limit that is 45' above the bench or would that angle stop at the total max height? The example I read had almost that exact wording, which lead me to wonder which height limit they were referring to..

-what if the section line is not a straight line? I assume you would still represent it following the same rules on the section.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by little12 on Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
little12

Re: Vignette---help me pass this time!!!!

Postby bostoniarch » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:54 pm

Hi there,

Your vignette looks good to me! Nice and clean :)
I took this exam once already, passed the MC, and failed the vignette. I spent way too much time zooming in and out verifying that the lines were as accurate as I could make them, which consumed quite a bit of time. Then I realized I had made a stupid mistake and didn't have time to fix the darn thing. Anyways... based on that exposure, here are my comments:

[i]-If the clearances weren't the same for the lake front, would you draw one set of circles and then another? Like if secondary build was 10' and building construction was 25'?
I'd do whatever you can do the fastest while remaining visually uncluttered. In my case, I'd go with the 2 different sized circles.

-What if the "front" wasn't crossing both A & B? Like if A was behind B or something. So for the vignette if they said the Front setback was off Side Street. How would you address Lot A
I would be very surprised if they pulled that one. But it is a good reminder to carefully read the program prior to starting drawing.

-What if you had an instruction for the angle that was like "a 45 degree line rising eastaward from west property line A until the building height limit"? Would that angle stop at the first height limit that is 45' above the bench or would that angle stop at the total max height?
I'm not sure I follow this one, but I believe you are saying that the 45 deg line goes eastward from the abutting property line of both lots. If so, it would only affect Lot B's building profile. If they give you a building height limit, then that's as far as you should go.

-what if the section line is not a straight line? I assume you would still represent it following the same rules on the section.[/i]
Also another that I'd be surprised to see in the exam, but if they asked that, I would draw exactly that: a section that cuts where the lines are drawn.

I hope this helps.
bostoniarch

Postby little12 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:06 pm

Bumping this back up since i'm starting to prep for this awful retake again. I've been trying to brainstorm scenarios they could throw at me since, evidnetly, i'm not getting the "simple, exactly like ncarb" vignette that others seem lucky enough to get....
little12

Postby little12 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:45 pm

Anyone? Maybe some thoughts from some of the more experienced testers?

I've also been told that you need to get the little nodes along the special condition (water for the practice one) to match up pretty exactly between the secondary building and building construction. Do they really need to coincide with each other? How in the world would you get them to match?? Seems zooming in that close repeatedly would get rather time consuming....
little12

Postby little12 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:24 pm

-What if you had an instruction for the angle that was like "a 45 degree line rising eastaward from west property line A until the building height limit"? Would that angle stop at the first height limit that is 45' above the bench or would that angle stop at the total max height?
I'm not sure I follow this one, but I believe you are saying that the 45 deg line goes eastward from the abutting property line of both lots. If so, it would only affect Lot B's building profile. If they give you a building height limit, then that's as far as you should go

I meant what if there were multiple "maximum height limit". Like if there was one "maximum height limit" between 0-30 and another that is overall. The random program I found online had that, but didn't have the solution attached. lol. So does the angle stop at the first "maximum height limit" it hits? or the overall "maximum height limit"? Both statements used the term "maximum height limit"...which is confusing.
little12

Postby testtaker » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:09 pm

Just lumping on another "what if":

What if there was a height restriction between 0'-40' from the WEST property line of Lot B? Would that restriction apply to both building A and building B?
testtaker

Postby Stevens50 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:16 am

Little12
I meant what if there were multiple "maximum height limit". Like if there was one "maximum height limit" between 0-30 and another that is overall. The random program I found online had that, but didn't have the solution attached. lol. So does the angle stop at the first "maximum height limit" it hits? or the overall "maximum height limit"? Both statements used the term "maximum height limit"...which is confusing.

I agree. this is very confusing

Caoch,
Can You please provide you insight on this on

Your help is most appreciated.
Stevens50

Postby peashooter101 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:18 pm

I just took this test last week and passed, so this is my input on your question. There can only be one "maximum height" for any given point. So the if the maximum height from 0-40 is 100', and the over all is 120', 100' would apply from points 0-40 and the rest of of it would be 120'. You are looking for the most restrictive height for any given point, don't overthink this vignette, even though mine wasn't as simple as the practice, i found reading the direction straight through and not overthinking it will give you a passing solution.
peashooter101

Postby Stevens50 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:58 pm

I just took this test last week and passed, so this is my input on your question. There can only be one "maximum height" for any given point. So the if the maximum height from 0-40 is 100', and the over all is 120', 100' would apply from points 0-40 and the rest of of it would be 120'. You are looking for the most restrictive height for any given point, don't overthink this vignette, even though mine wasn't as simple as the practice, i found reading the direction straight through and not overthinking it will give you a passing solutio

Congrats for passing this section and thank you for your informative response, it makes sense. PPP is my last exam and I had passed previous 6 exams first time. when I took the PPP I felt the MC were hard and the Vignette was easy to my surpprise Ipass MC and did quite well but failed the vignette for minor deficiency, till now I really don't know what went wrong I'm Baffled
again thanks
Stevens50

Return to PPP - PROGRAMMING, PLANNING & PRACTICE