Angle Direction Question

Site Zoning Vignette and Multiple Choice

Angle Direction Question

Postby Adritere » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:44 pm

Hi,

Quick question for someone with experience on the west direction angle,

If the vignette directions says:

The maximum building envelope is restricted to an elevation defined by a 30-degree line rising WESTward from a point at an elevation of 20 ft directly above the benchmark (Which is on the WEST side of lot B).

One assumes that there is a point 20 ft above the BM (at 90 degrees from BM) and then moves 30 degrees west, that would be 90+30=120 or would it be 180+30=150?

Please let me know and beware of this on the test.... It is an easy way to fail.
:(
A
Adritere

Re: Angle Direction Question

Postby Nike » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:22 pm

could you post your solution or some kind of graphic to show what you are referring to? i have not come across this on any of the practice vignettes i have.
Nike

Postby Adritere » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:35 am

Here on the PPP Practice Exam:
http://www.ncarb.org/en/ARE/~/media/Fil ... _Guide.pdf

Picture the BM on the opposite side (as in westside), and the last instruction point about the angle saying the same thing but towards the westside...(flip the vignette so you can practice more) It all comes down to the software, due to its condition of being 0 degrees to the east, 90 North, and 180 west... therefore it's very easy to make the angle line towards the east and trickier towards the west.

The Dorf vignettes uses 45 degree angles, which is just half on either side (west or east), this doesn't help visualize a 20 degree angle westward or other.

After thinking it through over and over, I concluded that if you have 30 degree westward, then it is 180-30=150 degrees westward. You have to imagine a flat plane at that point above the bench mark and take the angle from left up. Sadly I did this failing error on the exam and I am just waiting the score to prove it...

My advise is, buy a protractor and have the angles clear towards the west... if its towards the east there is no challenge there..
Adritere

Postby cathaejo » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:13 am

I don't get all the commotion, the instructions say "Eastward"... I think this will help clarify your concerns...
cathaejo

Postby steveds31 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:47 am

I do not quite follow the 30 degree angle question either...

30 degree angler rising eastward, wouldnt that mean a rise of 30ft for every 100ft?

and the angle rises from left (east) to right (west)

my practices do not match the chen solution...
steveds31

Postby Coach » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:34 pm

steveds31 wrote:30 degree angler rising eastward, wouldnt that mean a rise of 30ft for every 100ft?

No. 30'/100' = 30%, not 30 degrees.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby steveds31 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:57 am

how do you get that 30 degree angle then?
steveds31

Postby cathaejo » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:09 pm

When you draw the line, just don't click ortho, then stretch the line and look at the bottom left of your screen... You are going to be able to see the angle you are drawing and get as close to 30 degrees as you can. And then VOILA!!!
cathaejo

Postby steveds31 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:16 pm

OMG, I feel so stupid! Haha, such an easy fix... I thought that we had to perform geometry! Thank you thank you!!!
steveds31

Postby cathaejo » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:05 pm

Steveds31:

Jackalope posted this. Read it, it is worth it...

So, the ncarb software so far has been the most infuriating on this vignette. I have a couple of basic questions.

1.) as a rule of thumb, how many/or at what interval/spacing should you draw the 25' radius circles at the lake line? I feel like I drew too many and when I went to adjust my bldg/surf improv. areas I kept selecting the stupid circles instead of the handles (even clicking numerous times on the same editing handle).

2.) when drawing the 30 degree angled envelope limit, I got to 29.95 for my sketch line, but found I was either pretty over or way under on one of the handles. I'm guessing under is better than over....have a look at the attached image for clarity. Thoughts?

I've also attached my solution for the whole 4.0 vignette. any comments would be appreciated.

THANKS!

PP-vign_01.jpg
jackalope

Re: VIGNETTE question on angles
Postby jackalope ยป Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:53 pm

missed this on sbyrktct's site. but for those that might have missed it (like me) answers to my angle questions:

Vignette tips:
1) Use circles for the water line setback (see options list below), but use long rectangles to establish the property line setbacks. Not sure why people use multiple circles and lines for the prop lines... draw one shape and save yourself the time.
2) Using the whole width of the drawing area will help to obtain a 30.00 degree line, though 29.99 or closely under should be okay.
*** Note: when moving your 30.00 degree line into place, be sure that you don't pick the end of the line, which may change the line's angle.

3) It is doubtful that you will be able to match the angled setback line or the grade line with your building profile lines, so if you can't... stay one click under the angled setback and draw one click under the grade line with your vertical profile lines. That is better than leaving your building profile floating above the grade line.

Site Zoning vignette FAQ (from areforum.org)
Q: How do I calculate a 30.00 degree angle using this software?
A: There is a readout in the lower left corner that displays the angle of your line as you move your cursor around the screen.

Q: I can't seem to draw a perfect 30.00 degree line. Is that okay?
A: It is possible to draw a 30.00 line, though you may need to use most of the screen to do so. You may have to draw it to the side and move the line into place. If you still can't manage 30.00 degrees, a line angle between 29.95 degrees and 30.00 degrees should be acceptable.

Q: My building profile lines will not snap to the 30.00 degree line. What do I do?
A: The angled setback is a maximum limit. If you can't match that line, stay one click under it.
cathaejo

Postby steveds31 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:14 pm

Thank you all!!! Much appreciated.
steveds31

Postby aaronc714 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:11 pm

Why is "180-30=150 degrees westward" a failing error?

Adritere wrote:Here on the PPP Practice Exam:
http://www.ncarb.org/en/ARE/~/media/Fil ... _Guide.pdf

Picture the BM on the opposite side (as in westside), and the last instruction point about the angle saying the same thing but towards the westside...(flip the vignette so you can practice more) It all comes down to the software, due to its condition of being 0 degrees to the east, 90 North, and 180 west... therefore it's very easy to make the angle line towards the east and trickier towards the west.

The Dorf vignettes uses 45 degree angles, which is just half on either side (west or east), this doesn't help visualize a 20 degree angle westward or other.

After thinking it through over and over, I concluded that if you have 30 degree westward, then it is 180-30=150 degrees westward. You have to imagine a flat plane at that point above the bench mark and take the angle from left up. Sadly I did this failing error on the exam and I am just waiting the score to prove it...

My advise is, buy a protractor and have the angles clear towards the west... if its towards the east there is no challenge there..
aaronc714

Postby Coach » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:32 pm

aaronc714 wrote:Why is "180-30=150 degrees westward" a failing error?

Because it's nonsensical.
Coach
Site Admin

Return to PPP - PROGRAMMING, PLANNING & PRACTICE