Ballast PPP sample prob 69

Site Zoning Vignette and Multiple Choice

Ballast PPP sample prob 69

Postby archspri » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:04 pm

During construction, electrical sub notices code violation error in elec engineers drawings. Whose responsible for any costs associated with the error?

IMO the architect is directly responsible to the owner for those kind of costs, however the Elec Engineer is responsible to the architect. These questions are worded so generic that determining whether the architect or elec eng is responsible is not clear. It doesn't specify whom the costs are owed to. But even if it did, since the elec eng is only contracted to the architect, the responsibility would be on the architect, right? Answer says "elec engineer" is responsible, which in the end, I get it,he would repay the architect. But isn't the architect directly responsible as we'll?

How do we know what answer they really want though?
archspri

Re: Ballast PPP sample prob 69

Postby msalazar82 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:36 pm

Some of the questions are really vague, and you could argue that another answer is correct. I also answered the same as you in question 9 and this one. This one is especially tricky because the answer first states that the electrical consultant is responsible, but then states that the architect, as prime consultant, is liable to the owner for the consultant's work.
I feel your frustration. I wish they weren't so vague... Sorry I can't provide a better answer.
msalazar82

Postby amyli » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:35 pm

Keep in mind that the engineer has the same responsibility to the architect as the architect has to the owner, so while the architect may have prime responsibility to the owner, the engineer has the same responsibility to the architect per the architect/consultant agreement. Also Consultants are as responsible for their code portion of the project as the architect is for theirs.

hope this helps!
amyli

Postby anonymous283 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:37 am

So if I get a similar question like the engineer messed up and whose responsible on the ARE what should I answer? Architect or Engineer?
anonymous283

Postby Coach » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:42 pm

On the exam, you are not expected to make legal judgement calls.
What's important is to know who the parties to an agreement are.
When it comes to errors, if there are no damages and a corrected omission results in additional costs for things that would have been required anyway, then generally speaking, it's owner's responsibility.

My best advice is to follow aia docs explicitly. If you find yourself pondering what might happen in court or arbitration, odds are you're missing the point.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby anonymous283 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:01 pm

Thanks but all I want to know if this is correct (meaning my answer was incorrect):
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
anonymous283

Postby Coach » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:35 pm

anonymous283 wrote:Thanks but all I want to know if this is correct (meaning my answer was incorrect):

Yes, as explained.
SE is responsible to architect and architect is responsible to owner because those are the contractual relationships that are assumed for exam purposes.

If, in the unusual circumstance that an SE holds the prime contract with an owner, then architect is responsible to SE and SE is responsible to owner.

It's all about who is a party to a contract.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby anonymous283 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:45 pm

thank you
anonymous283

Return to PPP - PROGRAMMING, PLANNING & PRACTICE