Incidental use occupancy..

Site Zoning Vignette and Multiple Choice

Incidental use occupancy..

Postby bladeyoon » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:15 pm

Hello,

Can someone give me an example of Incidental use occupancy..?
Carolin note says "Incidental use occupancy: a space or room, not exceeding 10% of the floor area of the story where it is located, which is incidental to a main occupancy and has the same qualification has the nearest main occupancy, but must be separated from the main occupancy by a fire barrier. Ex: linen collection room on the same floor as hotel rooms"

I do not understand what it means by "same qualification has the nearest main occupancy"
and why does this need to be separated by fire barrier..? :(

Please help!
bladeyoon

Re: Incidental use occupancy..

Postby thd7t » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:57 am

bladeyoon wrote:Hello,

Can someone give me an example of Incidental use occupancy..?
Carolin note says "Incidental use occupancy: a space or room, not exceeding 10% of the floor area of the story where it is located, which is incidental to a main occupancy and has the same qualification has the nearest main occupancy, but must be separated from the main occupancy by a fire barrier. Ex: linen collection room on the same floor as hotel rooms"

I do not understand what it means by "same qualification has the nearest main occupancy"
and why does this need to be separated by fire barrier..? :(

Please help!

Best to go to the IBC with this. "Qualification" was just a word in Caroline's notes. She doesn't get everything right. Also, according to IBC, incidental uses don't need to be separated. A good example would be a large office building with a small auditorium space. The auditorium wouldn't have to be separated if it was under 10%of the area of its story.

I use this example, because code gives a lot of exceptions for small Assembly spaces, but they do come up a lot in practice.
thd7t

Re: Incidental use occupancy..

Postby ablumetti » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:34 pm

the wording she used is confusing but it means same qualification (classification) AS the nearest main occupancy. in the example they give, a hotel would be a "R" occupancy and the fire rated room within this occupancy shares the "R" qualification or classification even though it has a fire separation. As compared to a accessory use, which can have a different occupancy class. (ie: a "m" mercantile small gift shop within an "A" assembly occupancy building.) it doesn't NEED to have a fire separation, but the example they give would...multiple machine and drying machines which are a fire hazard on the same floor as sleeping units.
ablumetti

Return to PPP - PROGRAMMING, PLANNING & PRACTICE