Retake Advice - Comments Appreciated!

Site Zoning Vignette and Multiple Choice

Retake Advice - Comments Appreciated!

Postby GetLicensed2015 » Sat May 23, 2015 3:01 am

So I will be retaking this one in a couple of months and wanted to focus on the areas I was deficient in

PROGRAMMING & ANALYSIS : Level 2
ENVIRONMENTAL, SOCIAL & ECONOMIC ISSUES : Level 2
CODES & REGULATIONS : Level 2
PROJECT & PRACTICE MANAGEMENT : Level 1
SITE ZONING VIGNETTE : Level 3

Are there any readings other than the typical Ballast that would help me in these areas? I want to really practice the vignette because I feel like that is the hardest part of this exam. Any help is appreciated, I really want to pass my first multiple choice exam to get me rolling onto the next ones! :D
GetLicensed2015

Re: Retake Advice - Comments Appreciated!

Postby jmart3000 » Mon May 25, 2015 12:14 pm

i would reccomend archiflash online flash cards you can focus on specific areas.
jmart3000

Postby archspri » Mon May 25, 2015 1:43 pm

Copying and Pasting my post from another forum topic....

My PPP Study process (I passed PPP twice - NCARB "misgraded" my first PPP, and I actually passed it)

0. Listen to Schiff-Hardin while driving, cutting grass, commuting, etc. (I never dedicated time specifically to listen to the lectures, I only did it when I would normally be listening to music). If you finish them all, listen again and again until you take the exam.
1. Read Ballast
2. Take Ballast Exams
3. Read Kaplan
4. Take Kaplan Exams
5. Read Carolines and Jennys notes.
6. Read AIA Documents
7. Take Ballast and Kaplan Exams.
8. NALSA/Ballast Flash Cards until I get them all right.
9. Take Ballast and Kaplan Exams.
10. NALSA/Ballast Flash Cards again.
11. Dorf for Vignettes - and do all the Vignettes/Alt. Vignettes 2 times.
12. Flash Cards day/morning before exam.
13. Pass (TWICE!)
archspri

Postby wolfsnapper » Mon May 25, 2015 10:20 pm

gee sounds like overkill, i'm just trying to pass once
wolfsnapper

Postby archspri » Thu May 28, 2015 11:05 am

I used the same study method for both times I took it. I'd rather overkill study, then underkill study!
archspri

Postby lnorthington » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:12 pm

Archspri:
When you passed PPP and NCARB misgraded, did they contact you or did you write to them expressing concern regarding the exam results?
lnorthington

Postby ncl21 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:36 pm

I took PPP for the first time yesterday and I felt I had a very good understanding of the material....But the MC questions were from all over the place, it was unbelievable! The worst part is I don't know what other material I could have possibly studied I went through everything but Kaplan, maybe that was the missing link. Who knows maybe I will get lucky, we'll see in a couple of weeks what the score says!
ncl21

Postby dingicm » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:57 am

I don't even read the chapter in Kaplan for the vignette, I only read Kaplan for vocabulary so I don't get tripped up on the exam. Ballast is the best reference material I have found, study the PPP section and Building Regulations. Dorf is the best by far for vignettes, I have passed all vignettes (including this one, I am retesting) using Dorf, I have reviewed NCARB's vignette and online video, and quickly reading the vignette ch 2-3 pages in Ballast. I have passed all other exams using mainly these study items, my old Archiflash set someone gave me doesn't have PPP cards but I am reading through the CDS cards just as a refresher, this info is repeated in PPP. Hopefully last exam!
dingicm

Postby little12 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:39 pm

ncl21 wrote:I took PPP for the first time yesterday and I felt I had a very good understanding of the material....But the MC questions were from all over the place, it was unbelievable! The worst part is I don't know what other material I could have possibly studied I went through everything but Kaplan, maybe that was the missing link. Who knows maybe I will get lucky, we'll see in a couple of weeks what the score says!

I agree. This is by far the most subjective of the tests in my opinion because so so many of the answers seem like they could be argued once you get down to two options. So much of it seems opinion rather than fact.
little12

Postby archspri » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:58 am

lnorthington wrote:Archspri:
When you passed PPP and NCARB misgraded, did they contact you or did you write to them expressing concern regarding the exam results?

They notified me about 6 months after i took the exam.
archspri

Postby ErinG » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:37 am

archspri wrote:

It's funny, I just got notification that I failed the vignette, which was the part I felt the most confident about. In fact, I'm struggling to believe that I actually failed it. Did they say which part was misgraded? Also, did they refund your exam fee? ;)
ErinG

Postby Zurdokk » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:42 pm

I took PPP today and oh boy...questions from all over the place. I will definitely study the AIA Contragt documents. I used the Ballast ARE review manual, PPP section. Very helpful. I also studied achiflash. Definitely between those 2 I had a good ideas of at least what the damn test was talking about and help me to answer. I always remembered during the test: this is programming planning and practice, for those questions where you have a design solutions a part of the multiple choices.
For the graphic vignette I only practiced the full weekend before my test many many times several practice vignettes. That helped to stay focused on what I need to get done and even though I think I did well, I found a big mistake during the drafting of the sections: 2 of my building side setbacks where wrong. I Had time to fix it and got it right. In other words, triple check if you can. Eveyrhing is connected in the vignette
Zurdokk

Postby Furious Vegas » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:52 pm

wolfsnapper wrote:gee sounds like overkill, i'm just trying to pass once

LOL! Yes once is enough for me too, hopefully!
Furious Vegas

Postby little12 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:41 am

ErinG wrote:
archspri wrote:

It's funny, I just got notification that I failed the vignette, which was the part I felt the most confident about. In fact, I'm struggling to believe that I actually failed it. Did they say which part was misgraded? Also, did they refund your exam fee? ;)

I was just told I failed the vignette also, level 2. I got a level 2 on the enviro area as well, but level 1 everywhere else. I was actually a bit surprised that 2 "level 2" would fail you, but whatever. Not like they're ever going to explain things. See my post, but i'm also struggling hard to figure out what I did wrong so that I can NOT do it again.
little12

Return to PPP - PROGRAMMING, PLANNING & PRACTICE